Author Topic: Replacement for the Odyssey  (Read 6553 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Replacement for the Odyssey
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 04:33:39 pm »
Mind you, the Odyssey's transmission never ran smooth from day one. I thought I'd get 10-15,000km tops out of it. And for $1,070, I would've been happy with that.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 11:15:43 am »
Mind you, the Odyssey's transmission never ran smooth from day one. I thought I'd get 10-15,000km tops out of it. And for $1,070, I would've been happy with that.

It looks like that Sienna has your name on it. A minivan that is clean inside says a lot about how it was used and maintained.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 03:25:25 pm »

It looks like that Sienna has your name on it. A minivan that is clean inside says a lot about how it was used and maintained.
This...unless it was dropped off at a detailer the day before he saw it.

Minivans are usually train wrecks inside from messy kids
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 03:53:04 pm »
Some retired folks prefer vans - find one of those. So much cleaner usually.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 04:36:27 pm »
It has my name on it alright.

I'll take more photos later but this is the first van I've purchased that I haven't had to clean. They've owned it brand new since their kids were tots and they would've kept it except the kids don't want to drive it.

Thinking of getting weathertech liners for the first two rows to replace the all season mats they have in there.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 07:53:36 pm »
Two days ago:

I'm not in a huge rush to do anything about it, not until August, but thought I'd start looking around.
 :rofl2:

That was quick! Gotta jump on the right one when it comes up!  Congrats on the new wheels.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 09:13:02 pm »
That was quick! Gotta jump on the right one when it comes up!  Congrats on the new wheels.

I approve of the decisiveness!   ;D   Congrats, and happy motoring. 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 11:30:13 pm »
Looks clean. Congrats on the new van and I also applaud you for the quick action.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 01:41:19 am »
Thanks! It was quick but I'm not a kick the tires kinda guy. I may have said I was just looking but I won't look unless I'm serious. We were impressed and we're happy with the purchase.

What made me feel even better today was ICBC asking me why I paid significantly below market value on the car, because they don't like getting cheated out of sales tax. There are a couple of others asking $3000 but they're both CEs which go up to $7,000 asking. The typical going rate for an LE is $4,800 to $11,000. That's crazy. XLEs are surprisingly in the same ballpark as LEs.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 03:22:04 am »
The Sienna is the smart move.  Those vans have one of the most bullet-proof Toyota drivelines of all time.  My HL now has 300K on it and runs/drives/feels just like it did at 145K.  The quality of these cars is amazing.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 08:07:17 am »
Thanks! It was quick but I'm not a kick the tires kinda guy. I may have said I was just looking but I won't look unless I'm serious. We were impressed and we're happy with the purchase.

What made me feel even better today was ICBC asking me why I paid significantly below market value on the car, because they don't like getting cheated out of sales tax. There are a couple of others asking $3000 but they're both CEs which go up to $7,000 asking. The typical going rate for an LE is $4,800 to $11,000. That's crazy. XLEs are surprisingly in the same ballpark as LEs.

Congratulations! Looks like it was a good deal as well.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 01:45:14 pm »
Thinking of getting weathertech liners for the first two rows to replace the all season mats they have in there.

Before you jump on the weathertech's, check these guys out for half the price.
https://www.findway.ca/
I am on my 3rd set with them, and couldn't be happier about quality. No affiliation with them, I'm just a sheapskate who doesn't like overpaying for the weathertechs. The findways have fiber in them, so feel soft and cozy and easily washable.
I didn't find the mats on the their website but if you call them, chances are they have it. That's what I did for both my last Merc and the current Forester.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 01:54:32 pm »
x2 on Findway mats.  I MUCH prefer them to the WeatherTechs I had in the previous car.

Congrats on the new car. 

I can't think of any manufacturer outside of Toyota whose cars are worth considering at 350k km.  Maybe a babied pickup truck but still, I wouldn't be nearly as comfortable with the purchase.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 02:56:30 pm »
x2 on Findway mats.  I MUCH prefer them to the WeatherTechs I had in the previous car.

Congrats on the new car. 

I can't think of any manufacturer outside of Toyota whose cars are worth considering at 350k km.  Maybe a babied pickup truck but still, I wouldn't be nearly as comfortable with the purchase.

Well done on the new ride.  We had an '04 CE 7 passenger and the only issues was a squeak from the sliding doors the dealer could not figure out.

x3 on the Findways; over 36,000 km on the ones in the XT and they have been awesome.

... the 260 HP engine was, she was sold.

The '04s had the 3.3 giving 230 hp.  We found it a little under-powered on the Coq with the 4 of us on board, and needed to plan passing maneuvers very carefully.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 03:34:49 pm »
Congrats, oh and double congrats for not dragging this out for 100+ pages  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 04:04:05 pm »
Thanks all!

Before you jump on the weathertech's, check these guys out for half the price.
https://www.findway.ca/
I am on my 3rd set with them, and couldn't be happier about quality. No affiliation with them, I'm just a sheapskate who doesn't like overpaying for the weathertechs. The findways have fiber in them, so feel soft and cozy and easily washable.
I didn't find the mats on the their website but if you call them, chances are they have it. That's what I did for both my last Merc and the current Forester.

Good to know! Believe me I checked them first but resigned to having to get Weathertechs when I saw they didn't have any. I have the Weathertechs in my Mazda 3 and want to get the Findways instead. I should probably be able to sell the Weathertechs for at least a hundred which will pay for the Findways.

Agreed! I mean it's not a guarantee but the odds are in my favour.

The '04s had the 3.3 giving 230 hp.  We found it a little under-powered on the Coq with the 4 of us on board, and needed to plan passing maneuvers very carefully.

Yep I realized it after I watched the drifting Sienna commercial. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprbbo5eWCc

My Odyssey only had 210 HP motor, yea we were crawling up some of the inclines but it was more because we thought the transmission couldn't handle it. Did you put the recommended premium fuel in it? I hear the engine is derated by 10-15 HP with regular fuel.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 04:04:32 pm »
Congrats, oh and double congrats for not dragging this out for 100+ pages  ;D

...is that a challenge?  ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »
oh cool.   findway  even has floor mats for my old bimmer!  not that i need it..  only drive it in nice weather nowdays, so carpet doesn't really get that dirty.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 04:53:53 pm »

Yep I realized it after I watched the drifting Sienna commercial. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprbbo5eWCc

My Odyssey only had 210 HP motor, yea we were crawling up some of the inclines but it was more because we thought the transmission couldn't handle it. Did you put the recommended premium fuel in it? I hear the engine is derated by 10-15 HP with regular fuel.

I don't recall that premium was recommended; the dealer never mentioned it and I am pretty sure we never used it.  It's been 14 years since I looked at the owners manual though :D

We found that manual shifting for the hills worked wonders; have done that with every car we have had since 1996 except the XT as the torque comes on so early downshifting is not needed (and the CVT does a good job).  Consider it on the Sienna, it is easy to do.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 06:07:55 pm »
I wonder how much more the Sienna weighs over the Highlander.  My HL is anything but under powered, and has easily sailed over all passes in BC and Alberta Rockies without breaking a sweat - with five people, the cargo area filled to the roof with gear, and the roof box filled.  The 3.3L/5AT combo is a sweet set-up.