Author Topic: Skis and Snowboards  (Read 484267 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: Skis and Snowboards
« Reply #1300 on: February 19, 2018, 12:05:12 pm »
^^ I see lots of 130 cm kids skis with total K2 512 or 712 or whatever retro graphics. I think it’s hilarious, because I remember those skis from when I was a kid, but obviously today’s 7-year-old wouldn’t have a clue.

But smart marketing, because it’s dad, not the 7-year-old, buying the skis.

Ha, so true. Yeah, I'm a total sucker for the K2 retro graphics. Their latest super-fat ski - called the Pontoon I think - looks especially rad

[EDIT: i was wrong, they're called the Catamarans. You know skis are getting fat when they're named after wide-ass sailboats  ;D]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:07:57 pm by lebowski »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #1301 on: February 20, 2018, 07:43:19 am »
I'm so smitten by the Smith Chromapop lenses... So now I'm basically going to have to spend $200 on Goggles. Damn..

I'll keep an eye out of a better helmet, but at the least I'm going to look for red snowpants that fit considering I got a little fat and my pants aren't very warm any more.

... And they're white.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49:34 am »
Yeah, the Chromapop lens is high on my list for my next set of goggles.  It helps that I am a bit of a Smith slappie.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:23 am »
I'm just irritated that I can't get a pair with the CP everyday and Clear as the bonus lens.  The website is out of stock for the $45 clear replacement.

I basically need an everyday and a night time Goggle. I'm tempted to pick up a $30 clear pair and otherwise use the Chromapop. Sport Chek has a good set for $199

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 20, 2018, 08:04:20 am »
2 goggles is always better than 1 goggle and 2 lenses.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1143
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1305 on: February 20, 2018, 09:02:01 am »
2 goggles is always better than 1 goggle and 2 lenses.

My wife has the I/O7 with Chromapop Everyday + storm lenses. Both are great. Easy to change lenses on the I/O 7.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #1306 on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:08 am »
I've got the IO7's as well. I have the Red Sensor lens that I use 99% of the time, works at night & low light days. Other lens is the Green Sol-x for sunny days & I believe I've used it twice only.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1307 on: February 20, 2018, 10:27:31 am »
I have IO7s and have frankly been quite disappointed in  them. I get a deal through Smith so ordered them last year. The everyday lenses are good but the storm lens is awful. It fogs instantly and even worse, it  then ices. On heavy powder days I tend to keep a second set with me or accessible. My $20 Bolles from Costco in the same conditions were fine.  ??? So for now I will use the IO7s when sunny and use my Bolles or some Smith PMTs from the late 80s which never fog.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #1308 on: February 20, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
FYI if anyone is balking at the I/0 goggle for whatever reason, I'd recommend having a look at the Spy Bravo/Doom goggles.  I was certainly impressed with Smith's Chromapop lens when I tried the I/0's on in store, and I likely would've bought them, had they fit my face better.

As it was, I ended up with the Spy Bravo's and I've been really pleased. Beyond the fit, their quick-change system is great - arguably slicker and simpler than Smith's - and the two included "Happy" lenses  have been excellent. I can't quantitatively compare the Happy lens technology to the Chromapop, but the low-light Happy lens has certainly been superb in our typical overcast, flat PNW conditions.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:26:03 am by lebowski »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 20, 2018, 02:47:50 pm »
I've got the IO7's as well. I have the Red Sensor lens that I use 99% of the time, works at night & low light days. Other lens is the Green Sol-x for sunny days & I believe I've used it twice only.
My perfect world would be the blackout frames (not the lens, just the black "SMITH" on black band - the "black" frame has white "SMITH" on a black band) with the Chromapop storm yellow flash (65% VLT) + Chromapop Everyday (25% VLT).  Those two would do well as a night/really cloudy/snowy day (Yellow) and brighter/mixed sun/cloud days ("Everyday") set.

...unfortunately, Smith's own website doesn't let you mix n' match, which seems totally effed up to me.  I'd pay $250 (list price) for what I've described above.  Worse yet, it seems like you literally cannot get the yellow storm flash lens unless you buy it as a separate "replacement" lens (I can't find any combination sold that includes the yellow flash out of the box).

The best deal I can find now is:
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332360186.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs6b-6J612QIVSbjACh0VqA5MEAQYAiABEgKoIfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKSKlOqetdkCFVDdwAod6Y4Onw#332360186=332360188

$199 for Chromapop Platinum (13% VLT) + Chromapop Storm (50% VLT).  I can buy the clear for $60CAD (once it comes back in stock), though who knows what shipping will cost then  >:(  Definitely cheaper to just buy a pair of $40 Bolles for night skiing, but then you lose all the benefits of the spherical lens, superior venting, etc. of the I/O line.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/alpine-skiing/ski-goggles/product/bolle-freeze-black-ski-snowboard-goggles-with-clear-lens-201718-332361482.html#332361482=332361488

My plan is to get those for $199 (less 10% for giving my e-mail).  In terms of helmet, I researched the sh!t out of everything and settled on the Smith Vantage.  I was going to get the Variance, but the BOA system on the Vantage is much better (pulls from all-around the helmet, rather than just the temples like on the Variance).  My temptation is just to bite the bullet and pick up the Vantage MIPS from MEC at $300 (ouch) since I can't find the Vantage in Medium on sale anywhere.  Might as well just get the MIPS for the extra $40 compared to getting the Vantage at $259 elsewhere (well, I could get 10% off at Sportchek...I suppose).  I don't love that the Vantage this year comes in only the one colour, which includes the honeycomb pattern in green.  A pure black helmet would be better, but meh.

I have IO7s and have frankly been quite disappointed in  them. I get a deal through Smith so ordered them last year. The everyday lenses are good but the storm lens is awful. It fogs instantly and even worse, it  then ices.
I suspect there's something wrong with that lens then.  If one lens only is fogging up, then something's wrong with the specific lens (otherwise, the only difference between the two is the colour/tint).  The I/O7's venting is top notch, especially if used with a good helmet.  In fact, that's one of the biggest reasons why I want a new helmet - I don't have any "gaper gap", but I definitely do find that I can fog up my goggles if I look up with the goggles on (the heat from under my helmet fogs the goggles from the top).

Any way, I'd contact Smith --they have a lifetime warranty (assuming yours weren't damaged by your own abuse...):
https://www.smithoptics.com/ca/customerwarranty

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1310 on: February 20, 2018, 03:41:03 pm »
The kid had cheap goggles up until this season.  She's got a pair of I/Os now - we figured being on skis full time warrants a nice pair of goggles.  I have an old pair, love them, and she too now loves hers.  She has a tiny nose, so got the Asian Fit, and they're awesome.

She reports that the Chromapop lens is fantastic - I'm thinking of upgrading as both my lenses are original.  She has the Chromapop Sun Black and Chromapop Storm and says the Storm could be a wee bit better in flat light, but the black lens is fantastic.  I have the old Sensamirror which I've always liked, but I'm eager to try one of the rose Chromapop lenses.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 20, 2018, 05:22:31 pm »
Got the 10% from SportChek.  Gonna bite on the $199 deal for the I/O7 (less 10% ;D).  Can always return if I'm disappointed in trying them out/checking fit.

Question is whether I just bite now on a Smith Vantage from SportChek at full price - $259.99 (less 10%) and forego MIPS, wait for some other much better sale, or just bite at full price at MEC for the Vantage MIPS for $300.

The funny thing is, I wanted the red/black colour scheme on the helmet to match my jacket.  Sport Chek has a Vantage in that very colour scheme on sale for $181.99, but only in size S.  I've measured my head to be 55cm, which means I would be at the top of the "S" or bottom of the "M".  If I want to wear my thin windbreaker hat underneath for super cold days, would it not fit?  If it does fit, it'd save me $120 and be a preferable colour scheme to the Vantage for sale at MEC (black with some green in the vents):

vs

I guess I could always order the helmet and just return it if it doesn't fit, and while MIPS is nice, it probably won't actually make much of a difference in any event.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 20, 2018, 06:31:38 pm »
and while MIPS is nice, it probably won't actually make much of a difference in any event.

I know in testing for motorcycle helmets, the MIPS (and 6D's ODS) has shown to make a difference....on the order of 30% for concussion level impacts.

No idea if this translates to ski helmets.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1313 on: February 20, 2018, 06:41:09 pm »
My perfect world would be the blackout frames (not the lens, just the black "SMITH" on black band - the "black" frame has white "SMITH" on a black band) with the Chromapop storm yellow flash (65% VLT) + Chromapop Everyday (25% VLT).  Those two would do well as a night/really cloudy/snowy day (Yellow) and brighter/mixed sun/cloud days ("Everyday") set.

...unfortunately, Smith's own website doesn't let you mix n' match, which seems totally effed up to me.  I'd pay $250 (list price) for what I've described above.  Worse yet, it seems like you literally cannot get the yellow storm flash lens unless you buy it as a separate "replacement" lens (I can't find any combination sold that includes the yellow flash out of the box).

The best deal I can find now is:
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332360186.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs6b-6J612QIVSbjACh0VqA5MEAQYAiABEgKoIfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKSKlOqetdkCFVDdwAod6Y4Onw#332360186=332360188

$199 for Chromapop Platinum (13% VLT) + Chromapop Storm (50% VLT).  I can buy the clear for $60CAD (once it comes back in stock), though who knows what shipping will cost then  >:(  Definitely cheaper to just buy a pair of $40 Bolles for night skiing, but then you lose all the benefits of the spherical lens, superior venting, etc. of the I/O line.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equipment/alpine-skiing/ski-goggles/product/bolle-freeze-black-ski-snowboard-goggles-with-clear-lens-201718-332361482.html#332361482=332361488

My plan is to get those for $199 (less 10% for giving my e-mail).  In terms of helmet, I researched the sh!t out of everything and settled on the Smith Vantage.  I was going to get the Variance, but the BOA system on the Vantage is much better (pulls from all-around the helmet, rather than just the temples like on the Variance).  My temptation is just to bite the bullet and pick up the Vantage MIPS from MEC at $300 (ouch) since I can't find the Vantage in Medium on sale anywhere.  Might as well just get the MIPS for the extra $40 compared to getting the Vantage at $259 elsewhere (well, I could get 10% off at Sportchek...I suppose).  I don't love that the Vantage this year comes in only the one colour, which includes the honeycomb pattern in green.  A pure black helmet would be better, but meh.

I have IO7s and have frankly been quite disappointed in  them. I get a deal through Smith so ordered them last year. The everyday lenses are good but the storm lens is awful. It fogs instantly and even worse, it  then ices.
I suspect there's something wrong with that lens then.  If one lens only is fogging up, then something's wrong with the specific lens (otherwise, the only difference between the two is the colour/tint).  The I/O7's venting is top notch, especially if used with a good helmet.  In fact, that's one of the biggest reasons why I want a new helmet - I don't have any "gaper gap", but I definitely do find that I can fog up my goggles if I look up with the goggles on (the heat from under my helmet fogs the goggles from the top).

Any way, I'd contact Smith --they have a lifetime warranty (assuming yours weren't damaged by your own abuse...):
https://www.smithoptics.com/ca/customerwarranty

I think their fatal flaw is too much venting. We have had a crazy winter out west. Many days include continuous face shots (wide open here  ;D) with the snow stacking up on the top foam. The snow/condensation finds a way in through the top and the good venting results in ice inside the google.

Many of our powder days have been in the -20C range. I think the o7s just don't work well in a combo of fresh snow and cold temps.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 20, 2018, 07:08:41 pm »
and while MIPS is nice, it probably won't actually make much of a difference in any event.

I know in testing for motorcycle helmets, the MIPS (and 6D's ODS) has shown to make a difference....on the order of 30% for concussion level impacts.

For one thing, snow has less friction than asphalt, and hair/hats also (I wear a thin windbreaker hat under the helmet).  MIPS in ski helmets maxes out at 5mm.  I'm not convinced it works so effectively in light of those two considerations.

I wouldn't explicitly pay to avoid MIPS, but I'm also not sure it's worth $75 extra, which is the difference for the Smith Vantage currently.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 20, 2018, 07:23:44 pm »

For one thing, snow has less friction than asphalt, and hair/hats also (I wear a thin windbreaker hat under the helmet).  MIPS in ski helmets maxes out at 5mm.  I'm not convinced it works so effectively in light of those two considerations.

I wouldn't explicitly pay to avoid MIPS, but I'm also not sure it's worth $75 extra, which is the difference for the Smith Vantage currently.

I'm different in that regard, IQ having spend much of her early career in the head trauma unit.

If it was even 1% more effective at preventing a concussion and cost only $75 more?  I'm in.....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 20, 2018, 07:24:26 pm »
Love that your brain is only worth $75*.

*I still don't wear a helmet.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:30 pm »

Was thinking the same.   :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

I remember when I spent $1200 on my helmet and people were like "You are CRAZY for spending that much on a helmet!!" 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #1318 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49:44 pm »

Yup, I can attest that he doesn't wear a helmet, skis fast enough that he should tho! [emoji14]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 20, 2018, 08:03:34 pm »

Yup, I can attest that he doesn't wear a helmet, skis fast enough that he should tho! [emoji14]

Yep....it's really stupid not to protect your noggin.