Author Topic: ABS warning light  (Read 2186 times)

Offline razorboy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-5
    • View Profile
ABS warning light
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:37:48 pm »
Two weeks ago I skidded on an icy patch - as in bumpy-slop-created-by-a-snowplow ice - at 20 MPH, after which my ABS light was on.  Can I turn that light off until I get to the dealership some time?  If so, how?  (I don't like abs!)
Thanks.
Have Mastercard, Will Travel

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: ABS warning light
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:43:15 pm »
I don't understand what you don't like about ABS.  I'm no fan of electronic nannies, but ABS is amazing.  It's the one option my Miata is missing that I really wish it had.  At Auto-x events the ABS cars have a real advantage, and that advantage extends into every day driving and panic braking situations.  Great technology.

As for turning off the light, you probably have to solve the issue.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:26:20 am »
^^ Modern ABS is pretty good, but I doubt you’d want ABS on an early Miata.

I had to pull the ABS fuse on my ‘99 Civic when I tracked it, because it scared the everloving :censor: out of me on the bumpy track. I’d be braking hard into a corner, hit a bump, and suddenly lose the brakes for a half second or so. Not fun!

I think the system just couldn’t cycle fast enough. Pull the fuse, and all was fine over the same bump.

And it sucked for winter driving as well. Had lots of panicky moments rolling up to a stop sign at like 4 km/h with the ABS chattering away and the car barely slowing down, even on good winter tires.

Modern systems are much better. No major complaints with the GTI.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:56:07 am »
Skidded?  As in skidded into a curb and broke something?

Please tell us what you don't like about ABS
Mr Pickypants

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:19:18 am »
I don't like abs in deep snow.  I had an incident earlier this winter where a deer ran out onto the road in front of me during a snowstorm and i think i could have slowed down better without the abs kicking in.  :-\  It's far superior to manual braking in every other situation.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:21:33 am by KD »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 11:28:46 am »
I don't like abs in deep snow.  I had an incident earlier this winter where a deer ran out onto the road in front of me during a snowstorm and i think i could have slowed down better without the abs kicking in.  :-\  It's far superior to manual braking in every other situation.

Yeah, deep snow, sand, loose gravel, locking up the wheels usually stops you faster, of course without steering ability because your wheels are locked up.

Offline razorboy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:29:15 pm »
^^

I had to pull the ABS fuse on my ‘99 Civic when I tracked it, because it scared the everloving :censor: out of me on the bumpy track. I’d be braking hard into a corner, hit a bump, and suddenly lose the brakes for a half second or so. Not fun!

I think the system just couldn’t cycle fast enough. Pull the fuse, and all was fine over the same bump.

I was thinking of pulling the light, which would require ripping most of the front half of the car apart (somewhat sarcastic) to get at it. but I suppose that the fuse would accomplish the same thing....... but maybe not.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:18:39 pm »
^^ I’m pretty sure pulling the fuse turns on the light, not turns it off. Maybe that’s your problem: blown fuse.  :D

Actually, it’s probably a wheel sensor or broken sensor wire. I’d just get it fixed and live with the light in the meantime. If it really bugs you that much, put a piece of electrical tape over it.

Offline razorboy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 10:05:56 pm »
^^ I’m pretty sure pulling the fuse turns on the light, not turns it off. Maybe that’s your problem: blown fuse.  :D

Actually, it’s probably a wheel sensor or broken sensor wire. I’d just get it fixed and live with the light in the meantime. If it really bugs you that much, put a piece of electrical tape over it.

The light doesn't bother me, it's paying Toyota to fix it that bothers me, and I have to have the car in for a recall soon and they'll read the Riot Act about ABS and give me 300 lbs. of goat manure about it.  That's the first time I recall the ABS coming on and it broke! (or so it seems.)

I expect that you are correct about what is wrong with it.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 10:47:39 am »
If you don't like ABS[not sure why] and you say that the light being on doesn't bother you, then just leave it as is. With the lamp on, the system senses a fault and the ABS is disabled. That is just what you want.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline razorboy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 04:41:30 pm »
Thanks.

Here's a lively discussion on the topic, from 2011.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/anyone-pulled-their-abs-fuse-out.191461/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 04:47:25 pm »
If you don't like ABS[not sure why] and you say that the light being on doesn't bother you, then just leave it as is. With the lamp on, the system senses a fault and the ABS is disabled. That is just what you want.

Cover ABS light with small piece of electrical tape.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 05:29:22 pm »
Thanks.

Here's a lively discussion on the topic, from 2011.

How about a lively discussion right now about why you don't like ABS, we're curious.  ;D

You also might have a bad wheel bearing, any symptoms?

Offline razorboy

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 09:43:53 pm »
According to my owner's manual, the  ABS fuse and Vehicle Stability Control system are on the same fuses: ABS #1 (50A) and ABS# 3 (30A.)
 Unfortunately, the manual says that the VSC is applicable "when equipped," and I can find no reference in the manual or online to indicate which models of 09 Matrix are so equipped.

Also, I'm curious as to why there are two fuses and which one does what.