Author Topic: Little Things That Irritate Me  (Read 1043611 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Little Things That Irritate Me
« Reply #1880 on: November 21, 2017, 03:04:18 pm »
^^ Ground heaving is a huge issue here, too. Luckily, our fences on the east and west sides of the property are fine, but the short section at the back of the lot heaves like crazy. We redid it 5 years ago, and it’s moved a bunch already.

Same issues with all the neighbours, and most people just live with it. I watched with interest a few years ago when one guy put in a mega fence, with 6”x6” fence posts placed in concrete, but it heaved in a few years just the same.

I’m actually thinking now just to somehow let the fence panels rest on the ground and have them fit loosely around the posts, leaving the posts to move up and down freely without taking the fence with them.

I'm thinking about using steel poles or c-channel

They can be driven into the ground with an electric jackhammer. If they move, they're easy to re-set. They don't rot off quite as quickly either.

Thanks, never heard of that. Will definitely do some research before tackling the project.

I also came across an ad for metal screw piles a while ago. Probably overkill for a fence, but intriguing nonetheless.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1881 on: November 21, 2017, 03:06:07 pm »
^^ Ground heaving is a huge issue here, too. Luckily, our fences on the east and west sides of the property are fine, but the short section at the back of the lot heaves like crazy. We redid it 5 years ago, and it’s moved a bunch already.

Same issues with all the neighbours, and most people just live with it. I watched with interest a few years ago when one guy put in a mega fence, with 6”x6” fence posts placed in concrete, but it heaved in a few years just the same.

I’m actually thinking now just to somehow let the fence panels rest on the ground and have them fit loosely around the posts, leaving the posts to move up and down freely without taking the fence with them.

I'm thinking about using steel poles or c-channel

They can be driven into the ground with an electric jackhammer. If they move, they're easy to re-set. They don't rot off quite as quickly either.

Thanks, never heard of that. Will definitely do some research before tackling the project.

I also came across an ad for metal screw piles a while ago. Probably overkill for a fence, but intriguing nonetheless.

Those metal screw piles look like the exact answer to all of us that have to deal with heaving ground...but yeah, seems a bit much for a fence.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1882 on: November 21, 2017, 03:54:46 pm »
We use screwpiles around the switchyards and substations to secure equipment. They're slick.

They work well for decks and such. The only thing I don't know about all the metal solutions is how well they stand up to wind loading.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1883 on: November 21, 2017, 05:34:42 pm »
The lack of personal responsibility is just mind blowing. They clearly tell you in the instructions to anchor them to the wall, if there is no anchor kit in the box, they will give you one for free.  ::) ::)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ikea-dresser-recall-1.4411828

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1884 on: November 21, 2017, 06:13:04 pm »
The lack of personal responsibility is just mind blowing. They clearly tell you in the instructions to anchor them to the wall, if there is no anchor kit in the box, they will give you one for free.  ::) ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywvrkAflBNU

"We lost a lot of dumb kids with that one."

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1885 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:36 pm »

Never anchored mine to the wall. But, I also don't have kids.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:38 pm »
Seen at Loblaws...wth?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You gotta like that cereal I guess!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1887 on: November 21, 2017, 09:14:23 pm »
$4 per box, is that supposed to be a major sale or something?   ???
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:46 pm »

Depends on size of box.

Cereal is expensive here.  Crazy expensive.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1889 on: November 21, 2017, 09:18:12 pm »

Depends on size of box.

It's only 365g per box, that's not big at all. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: November 21, 2017, 09:20:16 pm »

Depends on size of box.

$4.49 a box at Amazon. And $5 at Zehrs.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1891 on: November 21, 2017, 09:25:54 pm »

Depends on size of box.

I've never shopped for Chex, but I routinely buy cereal for the kids (Krispies, whole wheat cheerios, etc) on sale for $4 or less.  Maybe this cereal is typically more expensive......dunno, but 8 for $32 doesn't seem like a major sale.   Like you said earlier, I guess you really NEED to love this cereal.  lol

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: November 21, 2017, 09:28:55 pm »

Depends on size of box.

I've never shopped for Chex, but I routinely buy cereal for the kids (Krispies, whole wheat cheerios, etc) on sale for $4 or less.  Maybe this cereal is typically more expensive......dunno, but 8 for $32 doesn't seem like a major sale.   Like you said earlier, I guess you really NEED to love this cereal.  lol

We buy at the awesome discount grocery store in the US called "Aldi".

Their cereal knock-offs test as good (or better) than the name brand stuff.  $1 a box.   :o

Check out some of their prices..and the crazy prices are usually in their flyer:  https://www.aldi.us/

Apparently, it's a German chain. (I'm sure to score brownie points with mlin32 for shopping there!)   ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:33:30 pm by rrocket »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1893 on: November 21, 2017, 09:55:28 pm »
LOL!  Aldi was a game-changer in Germany, offering decent house-brand stuff at killer prices.  Not sure why we don't have it here.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1894 on: November 21, 2017, 10:01:30 pm »

Check out some of their prices..and the crazy prices are usually in their flyer:  https://www.aldi.us/

Apparently, it's a German chain. (I'm sure to score brownie points with mlin32 for shopping there!)   ;D
Aldi has been around for awhile in the US, but recently has been on a growth spurt. There's a few in Michigan, I recall, although not all of them are in savoury neighbourhoods. We have many in the Eastern US- 3x in Asheville alone.

Even Lidl has now moved into the eastern US; I've been to a couple of their stores in other cities.

They've adapted to North American tastes though. I find it odd that they're accepting credit cards and moving upmarket, straying away from their original "roots" in low-cost, high quality groceries. But hey, still cheaper than everyone else.  :thumbup:

My consistent favourite market in Canada is still Metro though (Québec), a nice middle market sorta place that has some decent stuff. For nicer items, we like the IGA.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: November 21, 2017, 10:24:46 pm »

Aldi has been around for awhile in the US, but recently has been on a growth spurt. There's a few in Michigan, I recall, although not all of them are in savoury neighbourhoods. We have many in the Eastern US- 3x in Asheville alone.

Even Lidl has now moved into the eastern US; I've been to a couple of their stores in other cities.

They've adapted to North American tastes though. I find it odd that they're accepting credit cards and moving upmarket, straying away from their original "roots" in low-cost, high quality groceries. But hey, still cheaper than everyone else.  :thumbup:

My consistent favourite market in Canada is still Metro though (Québec), a nice middle market sorta place that has some decent stuff. For nicer items, we like the IGA.

I've been to several...some near shifty areas.  Some in nice areas (Grosse Pointe, Taylor, Royal Oak).

Pricing is still incredible.  Value for the dollar is very, very high.

LOL!  Aldi was a game-changer in Germany, offering decent house-brand stuff at killer prices.  Not sure why we don't have it here.

Yep.  Can get a huge shopping cart overflowing (literally) with stuff....$80.

We generally go once a month and buy pantry goods.  Also eggs 39-59 cents a dozen.  Butter. Milk (less than $2 a gallon).   Cheese.

We usually skip the meat.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:28:53 pm by rrocket »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #1896 on: November 21, 2017, 10:34:37 pm »
Aldi is big here in Oz. Great prices.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: November 21, 2017, 10:36:20 pm »
Aldi is big here in Oz. Great prices.

Yea, I saw that.

I was expecting average or less quality.

Nope...it's top notch.  Have no been disappointed with a single thing purchased there.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: November 22, 2017, 08:59:31 am »
Mice in the walls... >:(  Impossible to find where they are coming in.  Hope they leave the wiring alone... >:(

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1899 on: November 22, 2017, 02:58:20 pm »
waiting at a set of lights this morning on my usual route (odd one... 3 normal roads, and the one i'm coming from is one way). the people opposite me have to turn and 80% of them turn right and have a limited window to do it with given traffic.

a guy is crossing from my side to another with his unleashed dog... his time to cross is the same time as the majority get to turn... so he walks slowly and his little dog (jack russel) takes it's sweet time, stopping in the middle of the road three times. can't believe no one honked at him. only one car got around the corner (it is usually backed up about 200m there at that time).

it had zero impact on my drive, but just frustrated me to see someone have such little care about others.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now