Author Topic: Calipers scraped by Canadian Tire  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: Calipers scraped by Canadian Tire
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 02:12:37 pm »
One factor here is the weights. Sometimes a rim might just clear the caliper, but then the tech balances the wheel and uses sticky weights on the inside of the rim, which adds a couple mm and all of a sudden the weights don't clear. I've had it happen to me before.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 04:09:23 pm »
My renegade had some rims put on that were the same dimensions as factory... but certain aspects were no good and the wheel weights being on the inside make the brakes knock em all off/rub... pissed me off as the shop who sold me the rims said they "would fit"... but hey, how they hell could they really know? same "size" as the factory (in fact, the OEM tires got put on those rims)... my guy doing this stuff was the least qualified.. i mean... it doesn't take much to put on wheels.

FWIW, SirO, my buddy's parents had the free seasonal tire changeover on their RX350 at Green & Ross - the same one the Corolla went to and the same on my dad's RX400h still goes to.  The front passenger-side wheel came off on the 407, luckily with nobody hurt.  Caused ~$3,000 in damage by the car slamming down to the roadway at highway speeds.

...did G&R screw up?  Well, a tech, for whom in law they are responsible, did.

...but G&R also paid for the damage (so insurance didn't kick in), paid for a loaner vehicle while theirs was in the shop, and gave them free service items for future use (brakes, oil changes, etc).  Is that "adequate" compensation?  Most would say no, but what's the alternative?

We never once had an issue with the Corolla, and my dad still has no issues with the RX after the changeovers.  Isolated incidents happen.  That's ok.

did this happen after they returned the car for a re-torque? while it sucks and a good lawyer will still fight it, nearly all shops have a disclaimer saying something like, "if you wheels were removed, please return within 200kms to have the bolts inspected and re-torqued as adjustments may be necessary".

practically no one ever does. but on some of these wheels (especially heavy bigguns) they can seriously need it.

sounds like they have done all they can to return you to the state you were in prior to their screw up... not much more you can expect. you can ask for whatever you want, but they know they've lost your business, so they won't be bending over much more for a customer they have already lost.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 04:29:36 pm »
did this happen after they returned the car for a re-torque?
Silly tooscoops, Green & Ross doesn't notify owners to re-torque.

...which is why, in part, they lost my business a long time ago.