Author Topic: 2024 Mazda CX-90  (Read 16779 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 Mazda CX-90
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 08:45:24 pm »
Good look CUV with an interesting engine.  How about, do they have any plans on putting this engine into something enthusiast would actually like, maybe a sports car or sports sedan, preferably manual?  Otherwise, it's just another CUV just with an interesting engine choice.

That was going to be one of my first q's as well, which, sadly will be met with the usual response of "We don't discuss future products".  Sadly, the small group of Cdn journalists won't be the ones to get the 'scoop' on some hot new MX-6 or something, I'm afraid.

There were rumblings that Toyota was going to use the I6..perhaps in Lexus cars.

I did some work on this new Mazda.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:59:54 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 08:22:16 am »
Thoughts? Comments?  Questions you'd like answers for in the upcoming preview story for the Mazda CX-90?

Counting the days until the reveal (I wasn't in on any media launch events) as my hopes reside on the PHEV as a potential Odyssey replacement. There's nothing else PHEV in this segment, outside the premium brands.

My big question: 3-accross bench in the 2nd row, or mandatory buckets, à la Sorento?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 08:23:15 am »
Oh and judging by CX-9 "sales", I don't think the 6 cyl. will be relevant in our market.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 08:31:52 am »
Thoughts? Comments?  Questions you'd like answers for in the upcoming preview story for the Mazda CX-90?

Counting the days until the reveal (I wasn't in on any media launch events) as my hopes reside on the PHEV as a potential Odyssey replacement. There's nothing else PHEV in this segment, outside the premium brands.

My big question: 3-accross bench in the 2nd row, or mandatory buckets, à la Sorento?
Aren't your kids mostly grown at this point?  Or am I misremembering?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2023, 08:53:21 am »

18, 21 and 24 and all living at home and doing summer vacations with us. Plus, we shuttle the grand-parents regularly. Wife is having issues letting go of the flexibility...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 09:18:51 am »

18, 21 and 24 and all living at home and doing summer vacations with us. Plus, we shuttle the grand-parents regularly. Wife is having issues letting go of the flexibility...
So you really only need a 6 seater vehicle occasionally.  I know this has been mentioned to quite a few people but, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a vehicle that fits the vast majority of your driving requirements and when you need the extra space to just rent a minivan?  I get that your wife is having issues letting the flexibility go, hence why you are trying to find a compromise with a 3 row midsize CUV. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 09:35:01 am »

So you really only need a 6 seater vehicle occasionally.  I know this has been mentioned to quite a few people but, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a vehicle that fits the vast majority of your driving requirements and when you need the extra space to just rent a minivan?  I get that your wife is having issues letting the flexibility go, hence why you are trying to find a compromise with a 3 row midsize CUV.

A real 5-seater should work, but many midizers have buckets in the middle and a kiddy-sized 3rd row, making them less than practical (Ascent and Highlander will only seat 4 adults). I'm totally in with the PHEV idea, but offer is slim, demand is high and waiting lists are long. And prices...

Hoping the CX-90 won't have the CX-60's pool-table sized console. Ioniq5 has the best setup out there for WAF, but no ICE for roadtrips. The G80 adventure killed any full-EV option  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2023, 09:39:54 am »

A real 5-seater should work, but many midizers have buckets in the middle and a kiddy-sized 3rd row, making them less than practical (Ascent and Highlander will only seat 4 adults). I'm totally in with the PHEV idea, but offer is slim, demand is high and waiting lists are long. And prices...

Hoping the CX-90 won't have the CX-60's pool-table sized console. Ioniq5 has the best setup out there for WAF, but no ICE for roadtrips. The G80 adventure killed any full-EV option  ;D

Oh and I hear you for size. I wanted a simple, compact SUV for our everyday needs. Less girth, plenty of room, better budget. The crack in her armour is the Subaru factor - she really likes the simple, airy interior design, visibility, height and traction. But they don't offer PHEV's (no word if the compromised Crosstrek PHEV is coming back)

I'd get her this:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2023, 09:42:07 am »

Well isn't there supposed to be some kind of Grand Highlander or something.  Maybe a bit bigger, Toyota Hybrid tech.  Not exactly a PHEV, but could be a good upgrade from the Oddy's fuel economy.  Has any Mazda really been comfy for more than 4 adults?  They all tend to be on the smaller size. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2023, 09:47:07 am »
I'm interested in the future CX-70 that will be on the same platform but only 5 passenger, that's more my jam.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2023, 09:48:21 am »
I'm interested in the future CX-70 that will be on the same platform but only 5 passenger, that's more my jam.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Ditto. It's coming later.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 09:51:36 am »

Well isn't there supposed to be some kind of Grand Highlander or something.  Maybe a bit bigger, Toyota Hybrid tech.  Not exactly a PHEV, but could be a good upgrade from the Oddy's fuel economy.  Has any Mazda really been comfy for more than 4 adults?  They all tend to be on the smaller size.

Current CX-9 is actually right-sized. 3-accross bench in the middle, and I can actually fit in the 3rd row. The 2.5t is taxed in there however and it guzzles fuel. Not sure how the rwd platform will influence the packaging of the new SUV's interior. Highlander already looks like it had a butt stretch, I just dislike the overall design and it's not really pleasant to drive either.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2023, 09:59:25 am »

Oh and I hear you for size. I wanted a simple, compact SUV for our everyday needs. Less girth, plenty of room, better budget. The crack in her armour is the Subaru factor - she really likes the simple, airy interior design, visibility, height and traction. But they don't offer PHEV's (no word if the compromised Crosstrek PHEV is coming back)

I'd get her this:

Maybe in a dark colour but I was behind a white offroad edition one of these yesterday and it looks awkward. Dorky awkward.  Something about the proportions are off.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2023, 10:49:04 am »
I wish they offered an Outback with a low profile roof rack and body colour cladding. It would look so much nicer. I think the 2019 Premier at least had the lower roof rack.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2023, 11:16:32 am »
I wish they offered an Outback with a low profile roof rack and body colour cladding. It would look so much nicer. I think the 2019 Premier at least had the lower roof rack.

The concealed crossbars are pure genious, but man are these side rails ever thick! The rear of the Outback is plastic-heavy indeed with light paint colours. We had a white Wilderness in the media fleet - nope. At the moment there's the blue Onyx, and a Mahogany Premier XT. The red WRX Sport-Tech CVT is a 2022, should be up for sale soon.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2023, 01:58:10 pm »
Never has the 3rd row in the MDX seen the light of day.  I'm more interested in size as in larger than smaller.

Actually the current CX9 looks a bit like the current MDX.  When my son sees the MDX he often remarks "how is your Mazda running".  Right now the equivalent MDX is $75K   :P   That's getting a little rich.

If I could knock that down to $65K and get a more interesting motor and better mpg (hybrid) then it's worth a look.  Providing the AWD is actually AWD, but I suppose what difference does it really make.

One could argue that the MDX to get is the S, but that's $85K and the mpg will be bad.  Currently, the MDX is 13.9 l/100km.

Also need a wiper de-icer.  Current MDX has one, it works, but don't know how (no lines in the lower part of the glass).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2023, 02:00:05 pm »
Never has the 3rd row in the MDX seen the light of day.  I'm more interested in size as in larger than smaller.

Actually the current CX9 looks a bit like the current MDX.  When my son sees the MDX he often remarks "how is your Mazda running".  Right now the equivalent MDX is $75K   :P   That's getting a little rich.

If I could knock that down to $65K and get a more interesting motor and better mpg (hybrid) then it's worth a look.  Providing the AWD is actually AWD, but I suppose what difference does it really make.

One could argue that the MDX to get is the S, but that's $85K and the mpg will be bad.  Currently, the MDX is 13.9 l/100km.

Also need a wiper de-icer.  Current MDX has one, it works, but don't know how (no lines in the lower part of the glass).

We may reach in the 50's but definitely not above that.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2023, 02:10:39 pm »
3 grown kids in the nest that vacation with you?  Only one answer: Van.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2023, 04:07:27 pm »
3 grown kids in the nest that vacation with you?  Only one answer: Van.

I'd be happy with a Pacifica PHEV (with extended warranty...), but wife wants something else than a van when we do take that step away from minivan ownership.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2023, 11:33:31 pm »
from Extra Throttle House

https://youtu.be/1Ddq8tXfjjs