Author Topic: Alfa Romeo Stelvio  (Read 6632 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:18:23 pm »
reserving this space for my upcoming drive in a Stelvio courtesy of the new Ottawa Alfa Romeo dealership - I am sure I will hate it, stupid sporty SUV things  :P

The local Italian car club will be at a test drive and tech session this Sunday at lunch, hope to have "Francesca" there, fresh from her camshaft transplant and exhaust work, to remind people what a real Alfa Romeo engine sounds like unfiltered  ;D

Looking forward to the afternoon, will return to this space with my impressions and some pics of the vehicle.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Alfa Romeo Stelvio
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:12:30 am »
And I thought I had no life ::)  :rofl2:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:29:15 am »
reserving this space for my upcoming drive in a Stelvio courtesy of the new Ottawa Alfa Romeo dealership - I am sure I will hate it, stupid sporty SUV things  :P

The local Italian car club will be at a test drive and tech session this Sunday at lunch, hope to have "Francesca" there, fresh from her camshaft transplant and exhaust work, to remind people what a real Alfa Romeo engine sounds like unfiltered  ;D

Looking forward to the afternoon, will return to this space with my impressions and some pics of the vehicle.

Don't we already know your impressions about SUVs from this very post and many other? Can this drive change them?

IF you now come back to tell us you were impressed with Alfa's SUV, we may ask you to issue an apology to all SUVs you've been bashing for years... :)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:01 am »
AB dunno what you mean...my first meet of the year, it is a Sunday at lunch  ???

and yes, if I am blown away and put a deposit down on one, I will issue an immediate heartfelt apology to all you guys for my insufferable whining  ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:36:17 am »
Can you drive it back to back with a Giulia ?
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:41:10 am »
Can you drive it back to back with a Giulia ?
I am hoping for a QV, but will see. I have already driven a QV in Australia. Fantastic machine, stupid fast and infinitely capable way past my driving skills, that could only be made better with a manual transmission.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:21:54 am »
I've been seeing quite a few Stelvios in the last few months.  However, my weekly grocery shopping haunt backs up to a Chrysler dealership that does mechanic work for the Alfa dealer next door.  The number of Stelvios sitting in their garage lot is shocking. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:38:23 am »
I've been seeing quite a few Stelvios in the last few months.  However, my weekly grocery shopping haunt backs up to a Chrysler dealership that does mechanic work for the Alfa dealer next door.  The number of Stelvios sitting in their garage lot is shocking.
may not be for repairs, but for pre-purchase safety, putting on custom order parts or rims or tires, detailing, etc.

we had many brand new cars on hoists or waiting to go on hoists at our GM lot - didn't mean they were broken at all

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 09:40:21 am »
may not be for repairs, but for pre-purchase safety, putting on custom order parts or rims or tires, detailing, etc.

we had many brand new cars on hoists or waiting to go on hoists at our GM lot - didn't mean they were broken at all

That could be.  Then again, none of them looked straight off the dealer lot since most needed a good wash. 

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 03:24:49 pm »

That could be.  Then again, none of them looked straight off the dealer lot since most needed a good wash.

Most cars I see on a lot are filthy. Environmental fallout covers the vehicles when they sit still for weeks on end.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 01:51:51 pm »
Stelvio drive: Drove the 4cyl. Felt like a Giulia on stilts.

Giulia is where it is at, damn that thing can handle even with the 4cyl and AWD. QV is nuts and I love it.

Conclusion: not converted one but, but if you need ground clearance, it drives like a jacked up Giulia. Compliment I guess?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 01:53:55 pm »

Giulia is where it is at, damn that thing can handle even with the 4cyl and AWD. QV is nuts and I love it.

Conclusion: not converted one but, but if you need ground clearance, it drives like a jacked up Giulia. Compliment I guess?
The Autoextremist bought one for his personal ride.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 01:54:41 pm »

O0

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 01:57:07 pm »

O0
He's slowly putting updates up. And you know he'll go bananas if something goes bad

http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 02:00:36 pm »
he is right, it does drive very good...better than I thought

I just dont see why get one, with the price premium, over a Giulia

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 02:02:57 pm »

Assloads of snow and atrocious Michigan roads is my guess.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 03:25:40 pm »

unless you are driving along roads that have been ploughed rather than steamrolled, still dont see why - a Giulia AWD cant take the very bumpy roads in Ottawa's east end, with huge potholes etc., just as well as the Stelvio

snow performance will be the same, same car underneath

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 03:55:24 pm »

That was my conclusion when I first drove the Giulia back when it first came out. It's for the ex-BMW enthusiasts, now that BMW makes rather spongy drivers cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 07:38:00 pm »

unless you are driving along roads that have been ploughed rather than steamrolled, still dont see why - a Giulia AWD cant take the very bumpy roads in Ottawa's east end, with huge potholes etc., just as well as the Stelvio

snow performance will be the same, same car underneath
The sedans have lower profile wheels. Trust me when I tell you this is the difference between a dented rim and no damage in Michigan.