Author Topic: VW Golf Alltrak wins AJAC Car of the Year  (Read 2962 times)

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
VW Golf Alltrak wins AJAC Car of the Year
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:47:45 pm »
http://driving.ca/auto-shows/toronto-cias/2017-volkswagen-golf-alltrack-is-canadas-car-of-the-year

Not too surprising really as this is an excellent vehicle.  Yet no one on this forum has one or even the regular Golf Sportwagen with 4motion AWD.

Oh and I should also mention that the Subaru Forester won Utility Vehicle of the Year as well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:50:55 pm by JohnnyMac »

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: VW Golf Alltrak wins AJAC Car of the Year
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:02:29 pm »

Yet no one on this forum has one or even the regular Golf Sportwagen with 4motion AWD.

Wait until they start selling them with a manual.  Then we'll be buying them like hotcakes.  In brown.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:39:33 pm »
Last week when I drove by the dealer here they had 4 Alltracks, one 4-motion and two R's on the lot.

VW really needs to offer lower trim levels on this car.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:10:37 pm »
Yeah, my only criticism of this car is the price is a bit steep.

And I need a manual.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:08:11 pm »
AJAC award you say?   :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:12:29 pm »
Folks in the US are starting to take delivery of their Golf Wagons 4Motion with the 6MT. Not publicly advertised, but available to order and a few have picked them up. And it is on the ordering guide in Canada.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8398250-No-manual-anymore-on-VW-com-for-Alltrack-or-S-Sportwagen-4Motion&p=103393817#post103393817
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:23 am »
Before I bought our latest vehicle I considered the new Alltrak.  I really like its utility and excellent viability while driving, but I just couldn't get over VW's reliability issues.  Yes, I know there are some of you on this forum that have put 400,000 km on your beloved VWs and had zero repairs, and your second cousin, Billy-Bob, has 600,000 trouble free km on his, but the reality is VWs don't age well.
So, did I go out and buy a really reliably vehicle?  No, I bought a BMW.  :P
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 11:15:17 am »
Before I bought our latest vehicle I considered the new Alltrak.  I really like its utility and excellent viability while driving, but I just couldn't get over VW's reliability issues.  Yes, I know there are some of you on this forum that have put 400,000 km on your beloved VWs and had zero repairs, and your second cousin, Billy-Bob, has 600,000 trouble free km on his, but the reality is VWs don't age well.

Glad that you are in tune with your dark side.   :P

Buddy has an MK7 Golf R and it has been reliable thus far apart from one issue that has plagued the car since day 1 - the Navigation will not read numbered only addresses correctly and will default to 10th ave.  Always.  Southgate VW in Edmonton can't figure it out and has basically left him to deal directly with VW Canada.  VW Canada can't figure it out either although they have been far more communicative than the dealer.  And therein lies the rub for me.  I think the VW dealer network (generalization coming) is inferior to many other makes.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:37:06 pm »

Pretty much describes my thought process - except, unlike you, we ended up buying a reliable vehicle (Forester) ;)

My personal experience both with VW vehicles themselves and my only local dealer (nearest alternative one is a 6hr drive away) is overall quite negative so my decision not to look that closely into the Alltrak was pretty easy.  OTOH, my personal experience with both the vehicles and dealer for Subaru has been very good. 

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58:58 pm »
Breaking news! Lance Armstrong wins 8th Tour de France!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 07:48:43 pm »

Pretty much describes my thought process - except, unlike you, we ended up buying a reliable vehicle (Forester) ;)

My personal experience both with VW vehicles themselves and my only local dealer (nearest alternative one is a 6hr drive away) is overall quite negative so my decision not to look that closely into the Alltrak was pretty easy.  OTOH, my personal experience with both the vehicles and dealer for Subaru has been very good.

Well. at least for the first 100K....

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=98074.0

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 03:41:29 pm »

Well, we've had the vehicle for 6 months now, and under completely normal driving conditions (for us anyway) we've only put 2300km's on it.  Going by your estimate, it should easily last us the next 20 years ;).   I'm completely ok with that. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 06:08:14 pm »
I can't fathom spending all that money on a brand new car and then not driving it. Your per KM cost to own must be insane.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 08:42:26 pm »

Well, we've had the vehicle for 6 months now, and under completely normal driving conditions (for us anyway) we've only put 2300km's on it.  Going by your estimate, it should easily last us the next 20 years ;).   I'm completely ok with that.

Has your 2.5L Impreza had any issues?

Absolutely none.   It's been the best vehicle I've ever owned  (tie with my old 91 Acura Integra) as far as reliability.   If that vehicle had issues we wouldn't have gone with the Forester for the wife. I understand people's criticism of the various issues out there,  I've just never experienced a single one of them fortunately.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:14 pm »
I do wonder how sales have been of that Golf 4motion vs. the Alltrack? The Alltrack is a terrific package, but with the existence of that cheaper base Golf 4motion wagon, it seems one would have  to *really* want those extra bells and whistles to ante up for an Alltrack, at which point I'd imagine things like a CPO V60/XC70 start to look pretty darned enticing.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:32:33 pm by lebowski »

ltruong

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 10:46:43 pm »
Nice Car.  I test drove one a while back and it's pretty much my car updated with AWD(and gas powertrain).   Ours has been A+ in reliability for powertrain but we do have some issues.  The  2 passenger doors locks are defective(same problem since 1980 Volks.?), $400 a pop just for the part.  They still work but they can be a pain.  The moonroof started acting out last summer,  would stay stuck opened.  I don't want to know what that cost so I just leave it shut.

Beside that everything else works.  I don't even thing I replaced a bulbs ever....  not bad for a FGC. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:15 am »
I can't fathom spending all that money on a brand new car and then not driving it. Your per KM cost to own must be insane.

I leased the Passat in July 2015 and it just rolled 17k kilometres, 10k of that was put on when I took it East last summer.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 09:12:35 am »

I leased the Passat in July 2015 and it just rolled 17k kilometres, 10k of that was put on when I took it East last summer.

I leased the GTI in December 2014 and it has 62k on it.  :o

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 09:14:59 am »

My motorcycle is going to have more km on it......10 months of ownership and nearly 14k already.