Author Topic: Check air pressure on rental car tires  (Read 10965 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Check air pressure on rental car tires
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 11:08:04 am »
Nope, pick the car up, take it to a tire shop for a new set
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 11:14:46 am »
Guys, you're being silly.  It's a rental car - can't buy new tires or bring spares.

...I'm just going to take it to a shop that can add sipes to the tires.  What could go wrong?  ;D

https://youtu.be/zGl0itOWiCk?t=193

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 11:16:23 am »
Guys, you're being silly.  It's a rental car - can't buy new tires or bring spares.

...I'm just going to take it to a shop that can add sipes to the tires.  What could go wrong?  ;D

https://youtu.be/zGl0itOWiCk?t=193

For all that ice you will encounter on Maui??  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 11:39:39 am »
Uh, for all the hippie drug needles I'll encounter buried in the sand, clearly.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 12:03:19 pm »
I think road trip to hana is overrated and everyone i talked to who drove there kinda agrees.

But then if your are staying in hana for few days it maybe different

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 12:07:50 pm »
I think road trip to hana is overrated and everyone i talked to who drove there kinda agrees.

But then if your are staying in hana for few days it maybe different

Driving anywhere on Maui is overated. I rent the cheapest pos I can find and rarely burn much more than 1/8 of a tank over a couple of weeks. The "recent" lava flow past Wailea is great. An hour of walking and you are completely away from civilization.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 12:51:14 pm »
We've done Kauai and the Big Island, both of which are spectacular.

We have cousins who live in Oahu, but for whatever reason, we seem to always pass over that island (oh, right, because we don't want to vacation with the population...).

We're going to Maui strictly because the wife is going to a conference, which only takes place once every two years.  It's a specialty conference - there aren't many others like it.  She typically presents at it, but this time she's not (she just started the residency - in 2 years she'll present again).  The last time we went to this conference, it was in Napa, CA.  Next February we're supposed to go to the orthopedic conference in Breckenridge, CO, but it'll be beyond pricey...

Any way, when researching Maui, I didn't find things quite as amazing as the other two islands we've been to.  The hikes seemed tame, the remote region of Hana is, as aqua notes, "meh".  It's a nice resort island, from what I read.

...but vacations are what you make of them.  Renting a convertible for us is a treat, as is being somewhere that you can actually keep the top down.  FWIW, the convertible was $5 more than the most basic economy car (a Nissan Versa Note most likely) - why wouldn't we want it?!  Wranglers are the expensive vehicles to wrent there - they wanted $1,000 more than what we're paying.

For us, hiking on the volcano and getting off the grid in Hana for 3 nights in a tiny home are the highlights.  The conference, at a Fairmont, will be lovely...but meh.  That's a means to an end.  The last few nights at the Westin will give us some relaxation...but meh, a beach is a beach.

I'd go back to the Big Island of Hawaii and spend a week in Volcano National Park.  What a place!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »
Ahhh a free vacation. That is good value. We tend to hit the islands every year (it's the Caribbean for us Westerners ;D) . Over the years have been to them all but in order of visits we tend to go. Maui, Big Island, Kauai.

You should look into the Hike from the crater down to the shore. Overnight and is quite the trek.

Other options are to rent a "sporty" car and tackle the crater road at night (no traffic) hard. I recall having some glowing brakes on a poor Mustang  when I was young. Brakes had completely faded.

The beaches on Maui are very good, the best on the islands. Kauai has a few and the Big Island one lol but Maui has lots.  There is a reason it is very popular. If there is a good north swell go check out  the north beaches (surfing/windsurfing) can be fun to watch.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 07:54:06 pm »
I feel like I have a YUUUGE "L" on my forehead with all your posts about "casual" travel to Hawaii  :)
It just sounds wrong at some level to plan a trip to Maui and have tire inflation kits on your mind.  :)
First world problems  :D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 08:25:42 pm »
Vacation= relaxing.

If I’m going OCD over tire pressure on a rental that won’t see 30 mph, the I might as well stay home and worry about work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 11:57:09 pm »
This is how I check the air pressure in a rental! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 12:21:44 am »
I feel like I have a YUUUGE "L" on my forehead with all your posts about "casual" travel to Hawaii  :)
It just sounds wrong at some level to plan a trip to Maui and have tire inflation kits on your mind.  :)
First world problems  :D

I left out the word SECOND lol. Every couple years. Maui is really not too expensive. We live cheap when we are there. Snorkeling off of the beach, eat at the condo. Booze is much cheaper and food about the same as home (Costco FTW)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 09:58:22 am »
Ahhh a free vacation. That is good value.
We're paying for everything - hell, the conference itself cost $400USD, plus $150 for a "spousal ticket" for the evening events.  That's on top of it being a the Fairmont, which we got a "reduced" rate for $379 USD/night (plus resort fee and taxes  >:( ).  This will be a minimum $6,000 vacation. :(

You should look into the Hike from the crater down to the shore. Overnight and is quite the trek.
Wife doesn't like hiking "down" - hard on her knees and platypus (flat) feet despite custom orthotics.  That, and the fact that it's an incredibly long hike with the same view basically the entire way down...certainly not worth the effort IMO.

We have a Mustang Convertible reserved.  It'll likely be a 2.3T.  I'll shred the gnar when the time is right.

Vacation= relaxing.

If I’m going OCD over tire pressure on a rental that won’t see 30 mph, the I might as well stay home and worry about work.
I'm not on vacation yet.  Packing a compressor and a can of fix a flat certainly isn't "going OCD" - it takes literally a minute.  I spent 3 mins researching FAA rules for it.  There's no cellphone coverage for the road I'm doing, and tow companies suggest a minimum wait time of 4+ hours for any call on that road.  I fail to see the basis for your conniption here.

And FWIW, vacations don't have to be relaxing.  They can be full of adventure, hiking (certainly relaxing at the summit/destination, but huffing/puffing to get there...not exactly "relaxing").  ...there's nothing LESS relaxing to me than sitting on a beach bored out of my mind.  YMMV.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 10:09:33 am »
Vacation= relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Checking tire pressure on a vehicle that will regularly see over 75 mph isn't OCD, it's common sense. Based on my experience, rental cars have their tires over-inflated more than 50% of the time.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 10:11:35 am »
Won't that Mustang have the TPMS for each wheel, so you can just check on the computer?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 10:47:05 am »
Won't that Mustang have the TPMS for each wheel, so you can just check on the computer?

Absolutely - it has "individual tire pressure monitoring", but TMPS will only tell you if the tires are underinflated (it'll show exact pressures in the Mustang but it won't "alert" you to high pressure).
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/tires-and-wheels/tire-pressure-monitoring-system-with-individual-tire-pressure-display.html

So I don't need a gauge, but a compressor perhaps.  And fix-a-flat certainly is a good idea considering the remoteness of the roads I'll be travelling on and the fact that rentals remove spare tires.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 11:13:18 am »
Packing a compressor is off the chart OCD  ;D  The roads in Maui are about as rough as my driveway, including the back side from Hana. That and you will never be out of sight of your fellow tourist. There is nowhere that is remote in Maui. Can you take a compressor as carry on or will you be forced to check it?

I have a Rav or equivalent booked. I'll snap some photos of the tires for the thread lol. I may even air them down if I want a smoother ride. ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 11:31:07 am »
"custom orthotics."
There are a lot of :censor: orthotics out there, my wife see a lot of them
Everyone has a different idea on how the foot should sit , and it hard to know if they are doing you any good

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 11:57:03 am »
Packing a compressor is off the chart OCD  ;D  [snip] Can you take a compressor as carry on or will you be forced to check it?
With the WestJet Mastercard, which saved us $900 in flight costs with the signup bonus and companion flight voucher, we also get free checked bags for myself and up to 8 people flying with us.  I'm not terribly concerned about fitting this in my bag - it's pretty small.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-12v-digital-gauge-inflator-6-min-2996952p.html#srp

We're checking bags any way, and I'm taking my hiking pack for flexibility:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5056-148/Baltoro-65-Backpack

There is nowhere that is remote in Maui. The roads in Maui are about as rough as my driveway, including the back side from Hana. That and you will never be out of sight of your fellow tourist.
I guess you should consider repaving your driveway...

Rental car companies make improper threats that driving on the backside of Haleakala will void their rental agreement.  It most certainly does not - a "paved" road does not need to be paved with asphalt - it must merely be government maintained, and the entire Pi'lani Hwy is.  This is confirmed by my insurer who will be insuring the rental, so I'm good with that.

...but unlike the "normal" Road to Hana, which is inundated with thousands of tourists, the backside is not.  All videos of the drive show no cars for miles and miles and miles, and 99% of them "locals" who don't give a :censor: about tourists (hate them, in fact).

"custom orthotics."
There are a lot of :censor: orthotics out there, my wife see a lot of them
Everyone has a different idea on how the foot should sit , and it hard to know if they are doing you any good
I think we're OK to trust my wife's podiatrist, whose office crafted them.  These aren't Costco-off-the-rack units.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 12:58:19 pm »
Was not talking about off the shelf, but custom made ones