Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Subaru WRX STI  (Read 27061 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2017 Subaru WRX STI
« on: October 14, 2016, 07:28:37 am »
A purist's joy among stiffening competition.
Read more...

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Subaru WRX STI
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:01 pm »
Apparently the author is unaware that sound from the engine intake is piped in via a rubber pipe.That needs to be plugged up with a $2 plastic plug at the firewall. Instructions at any STI site.

The new Impreza isn't out yet despite the blithe remark.

Now the STI is the only AWD (along with the manual WRX's entirely different jack cheap version) car with you know, actual AWD credentials, like 3 differentials,. The other rubbish like VWs and Ford use electronically-controlled clutches and marketing talk. Of course, when the front and rear wheels spin on an STI, there are two lockup setups on the centre diff for different circumstances, one mechanical operating off centrifugal force, the other an electric locking clutch, whose 5 stages of lockup are there right on a spiffy little plate behind the gearlever. And just for luck the STI has a Quaife-like locking front diff and a Torsen rear diff. More real honest to god mechanicals than anyone else, and I'm a mechanical engineer. Other manufacturers produce lite-duty fluff by comparison.

This review reeks of lack of knowledge, and furthermore, complete disinterest.

Might as well knock the website on the head and bury it, if this is the sort of "once over lightly" review that readers can expect.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:20:00 pm »
Apparently the author is unaware that sound from the engine intake is piped in via a rubber pipe.That needs to be plugged up with a $2 plastic plug at the firewall. Instructions at any STI site.

Now the STI is the only AWD (along with the manual WRX's entirely different jack cheap version) car with you know, actual AWD credentials, like 3 differentials,. The other rubbish like VWs and Ford use electronically-controlled clutches and marketing talk. Of course, when the front and rear wheels spin on an STI, there are two lockup setups on the centre diff for different circumstances, one mechanical operating off centrifugal force, the other an electric locking clutch, whose 5 stages of lockup are there right on a spiffy little plate behind the gearlever. And just for luck the STI has a Quaife-like locking front diff and a Torsen rear diff. More real honest to god mechanicals than anyone else, and I'm a mechanical engineer. Other manufacturers produce lite-duty fluff by comparison.

Might as well knock the website on the head and bury it, if this is the sort of "once over lightly" review that readers can expect.

And yet, for all of the ingenuity of the AWD system...they still can't make engines that don't blow up or blow head gaskets.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:58:09 am »

And yet, for all of the ingenuity of the AWD system...they still can't make engines that don't blow up or blow head gaskets.
This. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 06:15:37 am »
    Is there some kind of street racing set out there that would find 305HP/299Lb.ft...not enough? 50 more and then another 50 on top of that...whenever...in a small car. Where does it end?

You can carry 52 passengers at todays speed limit in a London Transport, double decker, 97 HP omnibus. Just don't corner too fast.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 08:16:18 am »
Rupert, can you do me a favor?

:censor: OFF

:rofl:   :rofl2:   :rofl:   :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:28 am »

This.  He doesn't get it. Nor will he ever.  And frankly it's quite annoying and I would consider it trolling.

Rupert - just stop posting in these threads that have to do with performance / high powered vehicles.  Keep it to sub compact, compacts, minivans etc.  You seem to have a better understanding of those vehicles.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 11:04:12 am »
Subaru is one quirky company.  They get on a track of engineering and the results are amazing.  They focus on AWD and develop literally the world's best AWD system.  They engineer in great safety.

But yeah, they insist on sticking with a series of engine designs that plain fail prematurely.  Some of the turbo engines are pretty solid, but most Subaru engines are going to require major work by about 200K-kms, maybe earlier.  In 2016, selling cars with engines that require a major repair at 200K is not acceptable.  Subaru-fans figured the newest designs were good, but now most owner are replacing head gaskets as they hit 200K.  Back when you could get both gaskets done for $1000, it was painful, but you could justify investing in your otherwise solid car.  Now, the cost of repair is ballooning and dealers now charge over $3K - a hard pill to swallow after only 7-8 years of driving.

One thing that really pi$$es me off is that for the last 20 years that they've had this ongoing problem, Subaru never really cops to it.  "We don't have head gasket issues, but please use this special coolant condition designed to extend the life of head gaskets."  Crap like that.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 11:27:14 am »
Subaru is one quirky company.  They get on a track of engineering and the results are amazing.  They focus on AWD and develop literally the world's best AWD system.  They engineer in great safety.

But yeah, they insist on sticking with a series of engine designs that plain fail prematurely.  Some of the turbo engines are pretty solid, but most Subaru engines are going to require major work by about 200K-kms, maybe earlier.  In 2016, selling cars with engines that require a major repair at 200K is not acceptable.  Subaru-fans figured the newest designs were good, but now most owner are replacing head gaskets as they hit 200K.  Back when you could get both gaskets done for $1000, it was painful, but you could justify investing in your otherwise solid car.  Now, the cost of repair is ballooning and dealers now charge over $3K - a hard pill to swallow after only 7-8 years of driving.

One thing that really pi$$es me off is that for the last 20 years that they've had this ongoing problem, Subaru never really cops to it.  "We don't have head gasket issues, but please use this special coolant condition designed to extend the life of head gaskets."  Crap like that.

Are the six-cylinder engines plagued by this as well? I admit I didn't do a ton of research into that before we acquired the Outback.....anyway at the rate we're going, it's 10+ years of driving before we will hit 200k.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 11:43:30 am »
The 3.0L H6 is affected for sure, not sure about the 3.6L engine.  The H6s seem to go farther before giving out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:37:20 pm by johngenx »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »
First off, Stephanie, I loved your article - thank you!!!  I also liked your piece on the girl's weekend in the F-Type.  Keep 'em coming!

The 3.0L H6 is effectedaffected for sure, not sure about the 3.6L engine.
;D

67,000km on the 2011 Forester XT (EJ255) with no issues.  That said, I can't remember a single car in my family's history of ownership that ever hit 200,000km.  We got rid of the Cavalier (1997-2010) at 160,000km.  That thing was toast despite regular maintenance (transmission, notably).

The STI engine, old, yes, really isn't THAT bad all things considered.  I'd posit (without a shred of hard evidence to support my position) that they tend to blow only after improper mods.  The STI, on average (with the same level of evidence) is also driven a lot harder than, say, a 335i xDrive would be, again, on average.

I'm interested to see what problems come up when Focus RS/Mustang EBs hit 200,000km... How much is an oxygen sensor fix in a VeeDub these days?  In the Corolla, it was $1200 (thanks, ECP!).  I hear VWs had those fail prematurely all the time in the past.  Let's continuously bring that up every time a VW is discussed.

...or should we diselgate again?

Time to rip on Ford?  Where to begin?

I do so miss this banter :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:55:23 pm by No-san »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 01:31:48 pm »

Bwahahhahahaha....well played sir

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 01:49:22 pm »
Oops, typo catch - thanks.  Typing is not so much on the good today me see.   ;D

All makes have issues - I just try now to pick the ones that give you the best odds of having fewer while meeting my driving/utility needs.

Would I buy a new STi?  Probably.  The old 2.5L turbo engine is pretty durable - one of Subaru's better efforts.  I love the chassis and the AWD system is fantastic.  The interior is improved and the exterior looks are pretty good even though there's no hatch model.  And unlike STi's of past, it's actually very price competitive in it's small segment.

Good:

Fast - really fast.
AWD is amazing.
Chassis finally allows engine to work.
Trans and shifter better than ever.
Tuning options galore.

Bad:

Subaru dealers - service often sucks, parts are $$$, service costs are $$$, and they add on thousands in "fees" when buying.
Potential long term grenade.
It's in the "hot hatch" segment and has no hatch.
Heat score.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 02:08:28 pm »
First off, Stephanie, I loved your article - thank you!!!  I also liked your piece on the girl's weekend in the F-Type.  Keep 'em coming!

The 3.0L H6 is effectedaffected for sure, not sure about the 3.6L engine.
;D

67,000km on the 2011 Forester XT (EJ255) with no issues.  That said, I can't remember a single car in my family's history of ownership that ever hit 200,000km.  We got rid of the Cavalier (1997-2010) at 160,000km.  That thing was toast despite regular maintenance (transmission, notably).

The STI engine, old, yes, really isn't THAT bad all things considered.  I'd posit (without a shred of hard evidence to support my position) that they tend to blow only after improper mods.  The STI, on average (with the same level of evidence) is also driven a lot harder than, say, a 335i xDrive would be, again, on average.

I'm interested to see what problems come up when Focus RS/Mustang EBs hit 200,000km... How much is an oxygen sensor fix in a VeeDub these days?  In the Corolla, it was $1200 (thanks, ECP!).  I hear VWs had those fail prematurely all the time in the past.  Let's continuously bring that up every time a VW is discussed.

...or should we diselgate again?

Time to rip on Ford?  Where to begin?

I do so miss this banter :)

I'm glad to see you've finally seen the light regarding the Focus RS car name.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 02:20:23 pm »
You forgot kids in flat brim hats and white sunglasses trying to race you all the time in their 2003 G35.

LOL. Early model G35 = our new Camaro IROC

Re: faulty Subaru engines, FWIW My '06 Legacy GT is at 158,000km's, unmodded; no head gasket issues yet, but the turbo did blow at 120,000km because of that stupid oil filter defect.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 02:22:31 pm »

Bad:

Subaru dealers - service often sucks, parts are $$$, service costs are $$$, and they add on thousands in "fees" when buying.
Potential long term grenade.
It's in the "hot hatch" segment and has no hatch.
Heat score.

I know Mike will be reading this thread (even if he won't pipe up), so just wanted to reiterate John's points...

Though to be fair, I don't think Mike's position at Subaru allows him to design or source new engines for Subaru! 
But he should definitely be able to do something about the first point.
And can he please lobby the Subaru bigwigs for a WRX/STi hatch?    ;)

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 02:27:28 pm »
You forgot kids in flat brim hats and white sunglasses trying to race you all the time in their 2003 G35.

More like EVERYBODY wants to race you  ::)

Does anyone know the actual failure rate of these engines?  Doesn't seem to hurt their sales, especially WRXs and STIs.  Can't keep them in stock...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 05:29:34 pm »
    Is there some kind of street racing set out there that would find 305HP/299Lb.ft...not enough? 50 more and then another 50 on top of that...whenever...in a small car. Where does it end?

You can carry 52 passengers at todays speed limit in a London Transport, double decker, 97 HP omnibus. Just don't corner too fast.

I had 640HP in my Supra.  And it was just as comfortable getting groceries as it was racing.

WTF is the big deal?  Do you cry yourself to sleep in the fetal position about cars with big HP??

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 05:31:09 pm »
, but the turbo did blow at 120,000km because of that stupid oil filter defect.

See?  It's BS like this that makes Subaru a joke.  I'd love an STI.  But...no way.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »
, but the turbo did blow at 120,000km because of that stupid oil filter defect.

See?  It's BS like this that makes Subaru a joke.  I'd love an STI.  But...no way.

Well, here's my $0.02: my turbo blew and I had to spend $1200 for the rebuild it. Not cheap, and not excusable, as noted. For that matter I also had to replace the clutch prematurely at 100,000 km's - also a failry common issue, apparently.

With that said, nothing else of note has gone wrong with the car. Now, hypothetically and by contrast, what would've been the maintenance costs of an AWD European turbocharged sedan or wagon of the same vintage and mileage? I'd have to assume at least as much, if not much, much higher. Whether it's high-pressure fuel pumps, coil packs, or whatever else; high-performance cars are delicate things -- at least I only had to pay Japanese maintenance costs.

Now, with all that said, it is still certainly baffling that the STi, for all of Subaru's rally- and race-bred know-how, still manages to grenade its motor as it does. But at least it's cheaper to fix than an equivalent Euro (I mean i'm assuming it is).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:58:42 pm by lebowski »