Author Topic: Mrs. Railton goes on a test drive  (Read 49287 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Mrs. Railton goes on a test drive
« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2017, 09:54:56 am »
Interesting choice. It seems like the larger Nissan SUVs (Armada, Pathfinder) and their Infiniti equivalents have a poor reliability history. 

Odd because the older ones (up to 2004) were robust.  :-\

Railton, have you tried talking to other dealers about the MDX?
Yes, I was in discussions with four different Acura dealers - trying to get the to better each other's offer. Hamilton Acura played the hardest. For a 2017 Acura MDX with Navi package they matched the Infiniti QX60 Premium/Touring pkg pricing. But, the Infiniti has more to offer. Then, there was the the Infiniti incentives (previous Infinit owner, $500 lease damage credit, etc.) freebees, etc. that made it hard for Acura to compete. MDX's come standard with all the safety nannies, and we didn't want them anyway. We liked the look of the car though - The new grill looks much better. The entertainment/HVAC control stack is still bad though and the shifter is well... there is no shifter. Nice seats.
[edit] And, the $2K timing belt change we didn't like.
Railton

Here's hoping that trend dies.  :hurl:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2017, 10:00:47 am »
I like the QX60 or JX 60 or whatever it called now, I just did not  like the driver seat  :'(
And $2gs for  time belt, it would also be off my list , anything with time belt is off my list

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2017, 01:31:52 pm »
I like the QX60 or JX 60 or whatever it called now, I just did not  like the driver seat  :'(
And $2gs for  time belt, it would also be off my list , anything with time belt is off my list

Do vehicles with timing chains ever need those parts serviced?  I know my Santa Fe has one but I don't see anything about servicing in the manual and I doubt my indie shop inspects it much either.  How often do these timing chains fail?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:50 pm »

Do vehicles with timing chains ever need those parts serviced?  I know my Santa Fe has one but I don't see anything about servicing in the manual and I doubt my indie shop inspects it much either.  How often do these timing chains fail?
The chains rarely fail.

It's the guides and tensioners that can.

I don't mind belts. The change interval is 150k on my cars.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:41:24 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2017, 01:45:18 pm »

It's the belts that need to be changed - they usually do the adjuster(s) and water pump at the same time. Chains rarely break or need replacing for the life of the car.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2017, 10:22:22 pm »
From a pure handling perspective the MDX will run circles around the 'finiti'

This may or may not be a consideration for you.
If Mrs. Railton wanted handling she would have stuck with the FX (QX70) which runs circles around any MDX. No, she went for comfort and luxury this time. We still have the G37S with manual tranny in the household which she is driving to the office tomorrow.
Railton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2017, 10:48:42 pm »

If Mrs. Railton wanted handling she would have stuck with the FX (QX70) which runs circles around any MDX. No, she went for comfort and luxury this time. We still have the G37S with manual tranny in the household which she is driving to the office tomorrow.
Railton

Left field, I know, but how about giving the Tahoe a look and drive. My recent suburban rental was very positive and my wife loved it. So comfortable.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2017, 08:47:24 am »

Railton

Left field, I know, but how about giving the Tahoe a look and drive. My recent suburban rental was very positive and my wife loved it. So comfortable.

We drove one for a week in Ft. Myers last Fall Martin - Lots of room but it's a truck and pretty large as well for Mrs. Railton's DD.
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=66402.msg1238072#msg1238072
Railton

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:45 am »
Got it.

So what are the top 2 / 3 contenders now?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2017, 09:34:09 am »

The chains rarely fail.

It's the guides and tensioners that can.

I don't mind belts. The change interval is 150k on my cars.
The engines that wear out the tensioners, guides and even stretch the chains tend to be well known and reputable shops will do them well before there is any trouble.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.