Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2257133 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #8060 on: May 25, 2018, 05:23:21 pm »
Old crotchety codger encounter #1- Was turning right onto a road, old guy with an older Cadillac sitting in the middle with no turn signal lights on so I figured he was turning left. I went around him as I had tons of room. I had my windows down and he yells at:
Old angry man- "What the f#$k are you doing, you cut me off, I was going right!!"
Me- "well you didn't have your signal on and were sitting in the middle of the intersection, I thought you were going left"
OAM- "well you are supposed to wait for me and not cut me you fuc....."
I flipped him of and turned right

Old crotchety codger encounter #2- Went to a commercial supplier to pick up some stuff for the shop, saw older guy struggling to get a crapload of floor dry in his van:

Me- "excuse me sir, do you need a hand??"
Old angry man #2- "Do I look like a f#$king invalid a$$hole??"
Me- "Well then, you have yourself a lovely :censor: day a$$hole!!"

This was withing 10 minutes of each other, what a great afternoon!!!

Reminds me of this crotchety old :censor: I encountered a couple of weeks ago.  I had popped round to Superstore to grab one item, and had parked nose-in to a stall.  When I came out of the store and got into the vehicle, I looked all around me before backing out.  The parking aisle was devoid of vehicles, so I slowly start backing out.  I was already more than halfway out of the stall, when I hear 3 honks of a horn, and I slam on the binders, while an older Uplander blows between myself and the parked vehicles on the other side of the aisle.  This pissed me off.  So I followed the van to where he parked in a disabled spot, and waited for the dude to get out.  Turns out it was an older gentleman, like late seventies.  I get his attention through the open window, and politely explained to him that what he did was really rude, and that the right thing to do would have been to just wait until I finished backing out of my parking spot, considering I was already committed to the maneuver. 

Old People can be just as swerver as young people.  Typically not because they're super aggressive, but because they can be super entitled.

You know, this should really be in the 'things that irritate me' thread.

No, I actually had a really good laugh at both.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8061 on: May 25, 2018, 05:26:05 pm »
Old crotchety codger encounter #1- Was turning right onto a road, old guy with an older Cadillac sitting in the middle with no turn signal lights on so I figured he was turning left. I went around him as I had tons of room. I had my windows down and he yells at:
Old angry man- "What the f#$k are you doing, you cut me off, I was going right!!"
Me- "well you didn't have your signal on and were sitting in the middle of the intersection, I thought you were going left"
OAM- "well you are supposed to wait for me and not cut me you fuc....."
I flipped him of and turned right

Old crotchety codger encounter #2- Went to a commercial supplier to pick up some stuff for the shop, saw older guy struggling to get a crapload of floor dry in his van:

Me- "excuse me sir, do you need a hand??"
Old angry man #2- "Do I look like a f#$king invalid a$$hole??"
Me- "Well then, you have yourself a lovely :censor: day a$$hole!!"

Reminds me of this crotchety old :censor: I encountered a couple of weeks ago.  I had popped round to Superstore to grab one item, and had parked nose-in to a stall.  When I came out of the store and got into the vehicle, I looked all around me before backing out.  The parking aisle was devoid of vehicles, so I slowly start backing out.  I was already more than halfway out of the stall, when I hear 3 honks of a horn, and I slam on the binders, while an older Uplander blows between myself and the parked vehicles on the other side of the aisle.  This pissed me off.  So I followed the van to where he parked in a disabled spot, and waited for the dude to get out.  Turns out it was an older gentleman, like late seventies.  I get his attention through the open window, and politely explained to him that what he did was really rude, and that the right thing to do would have been to just wait until I finished backing out of my parking spot, considering I was already committed to the maneuver. 

Old People can be just as a$$hole as young people.  Typically not because they're super aggressive, but because they can be super entitled.

You know, this should really be in the 'things that irritate me' thread.

No, I actually had a really good laugh at both.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8062 on: May 25, 2018, 06:51:58 pm »

Awesome.   :rofl2:

I have to wonder if you didn't somehow trigger Crochety Codger #2's insecurity about aging.  Maybe he was a strapping lad in his youth.  Or dementia is setting in.  That's not a normal person's response to an offer of help.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8063 on: May 25, 2018, 07:15:29 pm »

Awesome.   :rofl2:

I have to wonder if you didn't somehow trigger Crochety Codger #2's insecurity about aging.  Maybe he was a strapping lad in his youth.  Or dementia is setting in.  That's not a normal person's response to an offer of help.
I was always taught to give someone a hand if you see them struggling, didn't mean to irritate his insecurities

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8064 on: May 25, 2018, 07:19:35 pm »
A friend of mine from high school is in Edmonton for the weekend and we're going to get together - we've seen each other once since the early 80s, but have stayed in touch via text, email and FB.  Him and his wife are both archaeologists and have worked all over the world.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8065 on: May 25, 2018, 07:20:37 pm »
I was always taught to give someone a hand if you see them struggling, didn't mean to irritate his insecurities

Yes, not disputing that.  I would have done the same thing (and have, in the past).  I just tend to wonder about the background (the "why") behind some people's reactions. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8066 on: May 25, 2018, 07:43:01 pm »
Our new CEO is originally from Australia, knows all about the V8 Supercar Series and rides a motorcycle.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: May 29, 2018, 08:40:50 am »
Our new CEO is originally from Australia, knows all about the V8 Supercar Series and rides a motorcycle.

Is he Jacob Black?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:20 am »
Last year, we bought a plastic outdoor playhouse for my daughter for $50 off Kijiji.  She played with it for a bit, then, like every kid, got bored with it, and it just sat in the backyard.  Yesterday I scrubbed it clean and listed it on Kijiji.  It sold almost immediately for $70.  Win!!!

My co-worker gave us an 18" kids bike for my daughter to use.  She's still too small, but it would have been good for next year.  The bike needed a bit of work, but that's fine, I'm an ex pro bike mechanic.  This past weekend, my BIL gave us ANOTHER 18" kids bike for my daughter to use.  This one is a Frozen bike, and a lot nicer than the previous one.  I decided we'll keep the Frozen bike, and with my co-worker's blessing, I cleaned and fixed up the first bike, and have listed it for $50 on Kijiji.  Somebody is coming to look at it tonight.  Whatever it sells for, I'll give half to my co-worker, and both of us end up happy!!

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #8069 on: May 29, 2018, 09:13:20 am »
^Good job!!

I'm shopping for a new hardtail, should get your thoughts on a few, lol!

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8070 on: May 29, 2018, 09:19:46 am »
^Good job!!

I've been out of the game now for a few years.  I'm not sure any more what the new trends are with regard to models and components, etc, other than the basics like 1x11 and 1x10 geartrains. 

All I can say is, go to a reputable bike shop, and you generally won't get a bad bike.  Components and frame are something that improve with price, but starting at the $800-$1000 price point gets you a decent entry level hardtail.  The biggest variable is fit.  Make sure the bike shop knows how to fit you to a bike, AND lets you take it out for an extended test ride (like 20 min, and not just around the parking lot - just don't get it dirty). 

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #8071 on: May 29, 2018, 09:23:15 am »
Tremendous!  Some cancer patients are towers of strength and inspiration.

Maybe, brew a "I :heart: Boobies" beer in his honour.  :)

Excellent idea!  If the title is considered a little too risqué, how about this one:  "Brewbies hop top"
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8072 on: May 29, 2018, 09:31:29 am »

Is he Jacob Black?

Nope!  But, I'm sure Jacob would be a fine CEO.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:34:29 am by Bubba »

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:59 am »
^Good job!!

I've been out of the game now for a few years.  I'm not sure any more what the new trends are with regard to models and components, etc, other than the basics like 1x11 and 1x10 geartrains. 

All I can say is, go to a reputable bike shop, and you generally won't get a bad bike.  Components and frame are something that improve with price, but starting at the $800-$1000 price point gets you a decent entry level hardtail.  The biggest variable is fit.  Make sure the bike shop knows how to fit you to a bike, AND lets you take it out for an extended test ride (like 20 min, and not just around the parking lot - just don't get it dirty).
Cool, thanks!! I did sample a few in the $1200 range, but the frames were too small in a medium size. Been thinking about this one as it's got decent parts. http://thebikezone.com/2017-scott-scale-765/

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: May 29, 2018, 09:38:29 am »
^Good job!!

Definitely look on Kijiji.  What's your budget?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: May 29, 2018, 09:52:52 am »
^Good job!!

Cool, thanks!! I did sample a few in the $1200 range, but the frames were too small in a medium size. Been thinking about this one as it's got decent parts. http://thebikezone.com/2017-scott-scale-765/

The store I worked at was a Scott dealer.  They're great bikes.  Very technologically advanced (funky frame designs, exotic materials, cutting edge components), although in my opinion they lack the soul that bikes like Rocky Mountain or Santa Cruz have.  Scott is still an excellent choice, however. 

The bike you picked has a 1x11 drivetrain, which is pretty cutting edge (a couple of years ago it was ONLY on ultra high end bikes, but has now trickled down to the mainstream).

^Good job!!

The issue with Kijiji, is that unless you really know what you're looking at, you could be inheriting somebody else's junk.  The bike may LOOK fine, but it may have been crashed and have a hairline crack.  Or the drivetrain may be worn to crap, etc.  You never really know.  I DO know what to look for, and even I would be a little cautious when buying an expensive bike from Kijiji.  Buyer Beware with regards to stolen bikes, too.  If a bike ends up being a stolen unit and recovered by the police, you end up out your money AND out your bike.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: May 29, 2018, 09:53:45 am »
^Good job!!

I've been searching hourly on Kijiji. I'm being picky though, want a newer bike with 27.5" wheels & wheels decent components. Plus I need a large, lotsa great mediums out there right now. Been looking for 3 weeks now roughly & I'll pay up to $1300 on a used one. Found this one in Oakville, haven't heard back from him if he'd be willing to ship it.

Scott Scale 750 Mountain Bike,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/oakville-halton-region/scott-scale-750-mountain-bike/1356328705?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: May 29, 2018, 10:05:32 am »
I've been searching hourly on Kijiji. I'm being picky though, want a newer bike with 27.5" wheels & wheels decent components. Plus I need a large,

Look at pinkbike too.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2352666/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2307723/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2237106/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:07:13 am by tortoise »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8078 on: May 29, 2018, 04:38:25 pm »
I've been considering a new bike too.... hardtail as well. I still ride my kona nunu and it is fine, but nothing special and rolling on 26"'s, so I'd like to upgrade.... figure I can still get 3-400 for my ride on kijiji or elsewhere and put that toward something new.

similarly, I want to get a 27.5 in a similar price range with possibly a large frame... i'll have to keep up with whatever you find!

also been tempted by something else to purchase today..... except it has a supercharged v8... damn these temptations!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: May 29, 2018, 04:44:12 pm »
I've been considering a new bike too.... hardtail as well. I still ride my kona nunu and it is fine, but nothing special and rolling on 26"'s, so I'd like to upgrade.... figure I can still get 3-400 for my ride on kijiji or elsewhere and put that toward something new.

similarly, I want to get a 27.5 in a similar price range with possibly a large frame... i'll have to keep up with whatever you find!

also been tempted by something else to purchase today..... except it has a supercharged v8... damn these temptations!

I'm not judging your personal situation, but I didn't think salespeople made enough money to buy a Hellcat.  Demo vehicle, perhaps?