Author Topic: F1 Azerbaijan - what a circus!  (Read 2141 times)

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
F1 Azerbaijan - what a circus!
« on: June 25, 2017, 01:22:15 pm »
Yellow flags, Safety Car, and a Red Flag added to the fun.

Ricciardo won the race and Lance Stroll becomes the youngest rookie to make the podium, finishing 3rd by a tenth of a second to Bottas in a sprint to the chequered flag.

Race leader Hamilton and 2nd place Vettel got into a contretemps during a Safety Car. Hammie, channeling Schumacher, was backing up the pack so much that Vettel hit him coming out of a corner, assuming (wrongly) that Hamilton might accelerate onto the straight. Vettel then swerved, accelerated up to Hamilton, gave him a salute and rammed him. Got a 10 second stop and go penalty, which Ham of course thought was pretty light.

Hamilton had a loose head restraint and had to pit, so Vettel ended up ahead of him even after the penalty. They finished 4th and 5th.

Bottas coming second after being a lap down was pretty awesome driving, and Lance showed maturity by keeping his head while all about him were losing theirs.

'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: F1 Azerbaijan - what a circus!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:08:26 pm »
I thought Ham brake checked him and should have received a penalty. There's also the rule about keeping close to the safety car which he also wasn't doing.

He's turned into the biggest ass in racing I think...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:36:26 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:03:57 pm »
No brake test. Just Seb flipping out.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-hamilton-vettel-baku-brake-testing-923425/
It sure looked like it.

But also...supposed to be within 10 lengths of the safety car.  He wasn't.

Also complaining to the stewards after the fact over the radio about Vettels penalty.

He's just become a huge tool...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:09:33 pm by rrocket »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:16:12 am »
They both were tools after that incident.  I thought there was a rule about minimum car length behind the safety car.  Lewis lets the safety car get way ahead every time.  On the telemetry graphic on tv, Lewis didn't brake, but he downshifted from 2nd to 1st.  That's what caught Seb off guard.  He actually had the nerve to question his race engineer what the 10 second penalty was for??? 

In interviews after the race, he won't even admit there was contact when he pulled up along side.  Lewis' usual games, and Seb's complete denial of the incident make them both look like idiots.  Lewis should just go away and keep hanging out with the Black Eyed Peas or Bieber, or whoever...

Great win for Riccardo.  An awesome drive for Bottas to come from the back and get 2nd.  And a big Canadian congrats to Lance for his first F1 podium.    :banana:Not to sure he like the 'shoey' tho... :hurl:
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:20:35 am »
They both were tools after that incident.  I thought there was a rule about minimum car length behind the safety car.  Lewis lets the safety car get way ahead every time.  On the telemetry graphic on tv, Lewis didn't brake, but he downshifted from 2nd to 1st.  That's what caught Seb off guard.  He actually had the nerve to question his race engineer what the 10 second penalty was for??? 

In interviews after the race, he won't even admit there was contact when he pulled up along side.  Lewis' usual games, and Seb's complete denial of the incident make them both look like idiots.  Lewis should just go away and keep hanging out with the Black Eyed Peas or Bieber, or whoever...

Great win for Riccardo.  An awesome drive for Bottas to come from the back and get 2nd.  And a big Canadian congrats to Lance for his first F1 podium.    :banana:Not to sure he like the 'shoey' tho... :hurl:

When he saw the shoe and champagne Lance had that 'oh god what have I got myself into, how do I say no' look, someone said 'you will be scarred for life' and after Lance said there was dirt in it!  Yuck!

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:22:00 am »

When he saw the shoe and champagne Lance had that 'oh god what have I got myself into, how do I say no' look, someone said 'you will be scarred for life' and after Lance said there was dirt in it!  Yuck!

Big congrats to Lance! This is probably the closest he'll get to experiencing fraternity hazing and, as far as that goes, he's getting off light -- plus the groupies are way hotter  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:15:07 pm »

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-hamilton-vettel-baku-brake-testing-923425/
It sure looked like it.

Also complaining to the stewards after the fact over the radio about Vettels penalty.

Is the 10 lengths thing applicable on the restart though?

I can't really blame him for complaining about Vettel's penalty. Intentionally running into another car while under the safety car is a lot different from a racing incident when drivers are competing for a position.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »

It sure looked like it.

Is the 10 lengths thing applicable on the restart though?

I can't really blame him for complaining about Vettel's penalty. Intentionally running into another car while under the safety car is a lot different from a racing incident when drivers are competing for a position.

Yes, 10 lengths is applicable

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »

Actually it isn't. From the FIA rulebook:

When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be sent to all teams via the official messaging system and the car's orange lights will be extinguished. This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.

At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 04:09:45 pm »

It sure looked like it.

I think Vettel is the huge tool.  He's 3 points from getting banned for the year.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 06:01:56 pm »

Actually it isn't. From the FIA rulebook:

When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be sent to all teams via the official messaging system and the car's orange lights will be extinguished. This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.

At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.

Even if the lights were out, it wasn't "necessary" to fall 10 lengths back.  Which is why the griping.  But this wasn't the in lap.  If you watch the video, the lights on the safety car were still on....course was still under full yellow.  You can also see the "SC" flashing on the track side boards which indicate safety car on track/full course yellow.

In the vid, you can see at the 13 second mark (albeit for only a moment), the lights are still on on the car..and the trackside boards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M2PcFEqhYc