Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT  (Read 28651 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 07:06:26 pm »
I know they tumble forward and the seatback reclines, but I was hoping that it slides forward so you can get in the third row without having to flip the seat forward (e.g. you have car seats in both outboard seats in the 2nd row).

In my Mazda 5, even though the 2nd row seats recline AND slide forward, with car seats in there it doesn't open wide enough to get in. With the Orlando, I can put my toddler's car seat on the driver side and a rear facing base in the middle position and have enough room to tumble the passenger side seat forward. It's one reason why I'm considering one, but it's stacked against a bunch of reasons not to get an Orlando...

As for car seats, I'm looking at replacing both with compact friendly Combi Coccoros, they're only 14.5" wide. They're designed so you can fit three of them across in a typical compact like a Corolla or Focus.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:08:35 pm by DKaz »

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 07:50:02 pm »

In my Mazda 5, even though the 2nd row seats recline AND slide forward, with car seats in there it doesn't open wide enough to get in.

Can you not just climb between the 2nd row seats to get to the back? 

Granted in a 7 seater this isn't an option.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »
In my Mazda 5, even though the 2nd row seats recline AND slide forward, with car seats in there it doesn't open wide enough to get in. With the Orlando, I can put my toddler's car seat on the driver side and a rear facing base in the middle position and have enough room to tumble the passenger side seat forward. It's one reason why I'm considering one, but it's stacked against a bunch of reasons not to get an Orlando...

I'm not sure about the old Mazda5, but as far as I remember, I was able to get in the 3rd row of the new one by sliding the 2nd row all the way forward. It may not work for everyone though, but at least for some.

Out of curiosity, what are your reasons not to get an Orlando?

richink

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 09:18:36 pm »
October 2011 Canadian sales, from goodcarbadcar.net

1. Chevrolet Orlando - 409 (Sept '11 - N/A, Oct '10 - N/A, YTD - 409, 2010 - N/A)
2. Kia Rondo - 391 (Sept '11 - 475, Oct '11 - 285, YTD - 5,637, 2010 - 6,307)
3. Mazda 5 - 359 (Sept '11 - 461, Oct '11 - 489, YTD - 5,409, 2010 - 7,532)

it should stand to reason that they will sell more Orlando's than Rondo's or Mazda 5's as Chevy has the largest number of dealerships.

Car manufacturers have an awful habit of not differentiating between their retail and fleet sales to rent a car companies. Although all 3 vehicles can be found at various rental companies, I'd suspect that at least 250, maybe 300 of those Orlando's went to Avis and Hertz, hence the "omission" of data...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 10:05:12 pm »
The space between the two second row seats in the Mazda 5 is pretty tight. A kid can get through easily.

Reasons to get an Orlando:

• Nice interior
  • Fuel efficiency more or less the same as its competitors
  • 5+2 seat configuration
  • Second row 12V plug is a nice touch

Reasons not to get an Orlando:
  • My two strollers, a single and a double, which fit behind the third row of my 5 don't fit behind the Orlando's third row.
  • Fuel efficiency could've been better considering the DI technology, at least to match the Equinox.
  • Auto climate control is only on the expensive LTZ which can't be optioned with a manual transmission.
  • Seats get uncomfortable after awhile. (My body is picky with car seats)

Ok 4 to 4.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:13:06 pm by DKaz »

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2011, 07:30:04 am »
I think the Ford C Max is going to give everybody in this segment a good run (or should I say "gallop") for the $$$$$$.
Yee Haw!!!     ;)

I would heartily agree, I think that will be the one to beat.

But isn't the C-max coming in "hybrid-only" format? Or was that the Grand C-max? And which one are we getting again?  Only one of them, right? Either way, although the C-max should be a direct competitor of the Orlando in terms of size/capacity, it may not be in terms of price/powertrain.

I realise Ford has to promote their "One Ford" strategy, but I can't keep it all straight - what models are coming to NA?  Which are for Europe?  I don't think Ford of Canada knows either.  I must say my attention to Ford's product offerings has waned significantly once they decided - in their infinite wisdom - that Canadians ("Mercans", too) aren't interested in the new Focus wagon.  I'm glad we're getting the C-max, but why is the Focus wagon a casualty of that decision?
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2011, 07:36:07 am »
I think the Ford C Max is going to give everybody in this segment a good run (or should I say "gallop") for the $$$$$$.
Yee Haw!!!     ;)

I would heartily agree, I think that will be the one to beat.

But isn't the C-max coming in "hybrid-only" format? Or was that the Grand C-max? And which one are we getting again?  Only one of them, right? Either way, although the C-max should be a direct competitor of the Orlando in terms of size/capacity, it may not be in terms of price/powertrain.

I realise Ford has to promote their "One Ford" strategy, but I can't keep it all straight - what models are coming to NA?  Which are for Europe?  I don't think Ford of Canada knows either.  I must say my attention to Ford's product offerings has waned significantly once they decided - in their infinite wisdom - that Canadians ("Mercans", too) aren't interested in the new Focus wagon.  I'm glad we're getting the C-max, but why is the Focus wagon a casualty of that decision?

Wow....did not hear about the C Max going hybrid?!.....that would limit sales for sure....too bad.
Just when Ford maybe had a "better idea".   ;)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2011, 08:56:16 am »
Ford's C-Max will be coming to Canada next year strictly as a five-seater hybrid, with a plug-in hybrid version to follow. It would seem they're aiming at the Prius more than the compact minivan class.

With only one daughter to deal with, I far preferred the Mazda5's captain's chairs and the sliding doors make it much easier to install the car seat and strap in a struggling toddler.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2011, 08:57:36 am »
Ford's C-Max will be coming to Canada next year strictly as a five-seater hybrid, with a plug-in hybrid version to follow. It would seem they're aiming at the Prius more than the compact minivan class.

With only one daughter to deal with, I far preferred the Mazda5's captain's chairs and the sliding doors make it much easier to install the car seat and strap in a struggling toddler.

Welcome to the forum noob

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2011, 08:58:23 am »
The space between the two second row seats in the Mazda 5 is pretty tight. A kid can get through easily.

Reasons to get an Orlando:

• Nice interior
  • Fuel efficiency more or less the same as its competitors
  • 5+2 seat configuration
  • Second row 12V plug is a nice touch

Reasons not to get an Orlando:
  • My two strollers, a single and a double, which fit behind the third row of my 5 don't fit behind the Orlando's third row.
  • Fuel efficiency could've been better considering the DI technology, at least to match the Equinox.
  • Auto climate control is only on the expensive LTZ which can't be optioned with a manual transmission.
  • Seats get uncomfortable after awhile. (My body is picky with car seats)

Ok 4 to 4.

How did you like the driving experience compared to Mazda5?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2011, 09:12:42 am »

Welcome to the forum noob
:popo: :rofl:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2011, 09:19:10 am »
I drove the ORLANDO..then it DAWNed on me[/b]..... :shuffle:........

it's another MiniWAN...Equinox...dawning of the age of A querulous group of mini baby boomers..... ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2011, 09:28:50 am »
Thanks! When does the hazing start?  ???

it was a bit of a split decision for me on the driving experience... no question that the throttle response and steering in the 5 was tighter and more direct (Orlando was a sloppy mess), but the Orlando cornered flatter and generally seemed to exhibit better handling.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2011, 09:52:24 am »

it was a bit of a split decision for me on the driving experience... no question that the throttle response and steering in the 5 was tighter and more direct (Orlando was a sloppy mess), but the Orlando cornered flatter and generally seemed to exhibit better handling.

I rather take your Lexus  ;D,

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2011, 10:06:09 am »

Don't let his profile fool you.....it is just a test car  :run:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2011, 11:16:06 am »

What jyarkony said. Steering was numb, and there was less body roll although handling overall was more comfortable than sporty.

Oh personal reason why not to get an Orlando, none of the local dealers would stock a manual transmission model, so if I really want one I'd have to agree to purchase one without test driving one first, if I don't like it then my loss.

I don't NEED a car yet. It's really my mother in law who's stuck navigating to that third row, just once in awhile I feel sorry for her.  :-X Ha ha. I'm going to wait and see if Mazda will finally release a seven seater 5, bonus if it has a Skyactiv engine.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2011, 12:42:46 pm »
 I doubt the Sienna would beat the Orlando in real world city driving. In CR real world tests the Sienna got 14/27 miles per US gallon while the Mazda 5 got 15/34.  I doubt that they will test the Orlando since it is not available in the US.

Wow they have lead feet. My worst ever in my Mazda 5 is 20 US MPG, that's pure city driving, A/C on full blast all the time...
Also, as you may be aware, the US gallon is smaller than the Imperial gallon, which is used in Canada. From what I have seen, manuals will often do better, despite the government numbers, than the automatics... especially in city driving. On the highway, due to the different ratios, the automatics sometimes do slightly better. I wish my Rondo had a 6 speed manual as the Euro versions do.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2011, 01:00:53 pm »

Don't let his profile fool you.....it is just a test car  :run:
wtf!!!  :notroll:  ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »

What jyarkony said. Steering was numb, and there was less body roll although handling overall was more comfortable than sporty.

I share the driving impressions for Orlando. IMO it's not for someone who likes a responsive car (steering, engine, tranny, brakes) this is why I asked. I found it very comfortable, easy to drive, very quiet and well built. If you drive it like the vast majority of the buyers would, it's a nice car. It does what it supposed to do therefore I'd call it a success for Chevy.

I also found that two average adults can seat in the 3rd row for short trips. I was testing with a friend of mine (average adults) and we didn't rub sholders. The biggest negative from my perspective is the 2nd row bench does not slide. If it would, the access and comfort for the 3rd row would be much better.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2011, 01:08:17 pm »
DKaz - what about a Caravan? With the savings on purchase price you'd easily pay for 10 years worth of fuel vs. an Orlando.

My neighbour just bought one of these - I'd rather a minivan! Its just plain ugly - and is it just me or is the second row foot space brutally small? If you need a people mover - buy a people mover take the small hit on fuel economy and be happy with your decision. This is the kind of vehicle that I get the feeling that you'll always have to justify to people - "well ya BUT it gets slightly better mileage than a van."
My other Honda is an MP4-31!