Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz G 550  (Read 10648 times)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz G 550
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 04:16:20 pm »
Hey..How bout a long wheelbase Jeep Wrangler...Maybe 4 or five of them..As bad as the Jeep may seem..This concentrates it...What a Wastemobile.. But...as they say...to each his own...Jack

Actually Car and Driver or Motor Trend just put a G-wagon up against a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon.......the Rubicon won the comparison and I agreed with them. I like the vehicle, but for the money, gimme an H1 Hummer any day.

Don't stop at the H1, how about the Marauder  from South Africa a ten-ton military vehicle that the public can buy - if you have ($480,000) to spare.

Or The Knight XV a vehicle which is congregated on a super duty Ford modified platform chassis

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:17:36 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 04:21:29 pm »
Hey..How bout a long wheelbase Jeep Wrangler...Maybe 4 or five of them..As bad as the Jeep may seem..This concentrates it...What a Wastemobile.. But...as they say...to each his own...Jack

Actually Car and Driver or Motor Trend just put a G-wagon up against a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon.......the Rubicon won the comparison and I agreed with them. I like the vehicle, but for the money, gimme an H1 Hummer any day.

Don't stop at the H1, how about the Marauder  from South Africa a ten-ton military vehicle that the public can buy - if you have ($480,000) to spare.

Or The Knight XV is congregated on a super duty Ford modified platform chassis

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM....Marauder  :drool: :love: After the top Gear review of that, I love 'em.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 04:29:23 pm »
   When I look at the interiors of this kind of vehicle...the leather...carpet...wood and quality everywhere...I always wonder how I could possibly step with ankle depth muddied boots, into there. I just could'nt do it. I would have to undo the laces and leave the boots behind in the mud. Maybe there should be a boot and welly pouch on the outside.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 09:10:49 am »
That non-iPad pad tacked onto the console looks just like that - tacked on. For something that costs $120k it's terrible. Journalists lambast the $30k Legacy for a bluetooth mic looking tacked on but give this thing a pass?!?

The 3 diff lock switches are simple and that is great, but being switches how are the diffs actually locked?

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 09:30:15 am »
   When I look at the interiors of this kind of vehicle...the leather...carpet...wood and quality everywhere...I always wonder how I could possibly step with ankle depth muddied boots, into there. I just could'nt do it. I would have to undo the laces and leave the boots behind in the mud. Maybe there should be a boot and welly pouch on the outside.

Haha.  Good one.  I would feel the same.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 10:19:32 am »
That non-iPad pad tacked onto the console looks just like that - tacked on. For something that costs $120k it's terrible. Journalists lambast the $30k Legacy for a bluetooth mic looking tacked on but give this thing a pass?!?

The 3 diff lock switches are simple and that is great, but being switches how are the diffs actually locked?

As far as I know, the lockers are electrically actuated, kind of like an eaton e-locker, see below for example:

http://youtu.be/-VPPGsYq6TE

Fantastic for offroading, especially slow, rocky stuff.

Offline Sammy70

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 10:24:44 am »
This SUV may not make much sense in this day and age, but I know if I had 120k, I'd have one parked in my garage right now.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 05:35:43 am »

Even a base Wrangler with a $300.00 Aussie Locker in the front diff would handily challenge the G 550, and the Wrangler doesn't even have to be shoved down into low range to do it. My '98 is an unstoppable little tank with this setup... and I don't need a Wellie pouch either. Actually, I wear muddy "Le Chameau" boots, I can afford them with all the money I saved by not opting for the G 550  ;D.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 11:53:43 am »

Even a base Wrangler with a $300.00 Aussie Locker in the front diff would handily challenge the G 550, and the Wrangler doesn't even have to be shoved down into low range to do it. My '98 is an unstoppable little tank with this setup... and I don't need a Wellie pouch either. Actually, I wear muddy "Le Chameau" boots, I can afford them with all the money I saved by not opting for the G 550  ;D.

Actually a base Wrangler with ARB air lockers in both axles, some 33" mud tires and a $300 puck lift and shock extensions will pretty much outwheel anything else on the market.....for about $25K.

Northernridge

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »

Actually a base Wrangler with ARB air lockers in both axles, some 33" mud tires and a $300 puck lift and shock extensions will pretty much outwheel anything else on the market.....for about $25K.

Super value. But I still like the G better.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 03:34:25 pm »

Well so do I.....but still, I like my 4x4s able to offroad, and I couldnt imagine laying a $100k+ vehicle against a tree but a JK I could see knocking a few fenders off  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 03:49:51 pm »

Well so do I.....but still, I like my 4x4s able to offroad, and I couldnt imagine laying a $100k+ vehicle against a tree but a JK I could see knocking a few fenders off  ;D

You did get me thinking that for 25k the Wrangler would have been a better choice than my Ranger for off road adventuring. I think I paid around 17k as configured. Plus I wouldn't need the trailer for the Jeep!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »

You did get me thinking that for 25k the Wrangler would have been a better choice than my Ranger for off road adventuring. I think I paid around 17k as configured. Plus I wouldn't need the trailer for the Jeep!

Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, you cant beat a Wrangler for offroading. The FJ is cute and all....but no.