Author Topic: ECU Fail. I'm Really Pissed.  (Read 25409 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: ECU Fail. I'm Really Pissed.
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 08:11:02 am »
I think this is a US mandated rule as my cars ( German and Japanese) have the same coverage.  Canada follows the US rules as usual.   It will be in the warranty and maintenance part of the manual.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:25 am »
I'm not sure if it's still the case but Hyundai warranty policies and rates used to be pretty poor in terms of paying the dealer. If that's still the case it might explain the dealer trying to get retail. I'd definitely read the warranty booklet anytime any dealer says something is not covered
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 09:12:19 am »
PM Patrick

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:23 am »
good luck with getting it all covered.... by the way... did look at that car a while back for you... didn't fall in love, so dragged my feet... sorry if that caused any issues for you! did go out and buy a crosstrek last week thinking of you and someone scooped it up within 3 days! i'll keep you posted if i get any other sweet rides.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 11:38:32 am »
PM Patrick
This.....he might be able to offer some advice
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:34 pm »
Wow - that stinks big time. Hopefully the repair cost is manageable. Hard to trust a vehicle when random electrical issues come up.  :(

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 12:27:44 pm »
I wonder how cars made in the last decade or so will be perceived in the future as classics due to the servicability of of all the electronics gizmos.  I know in the communications industrythat it doesnt take too long before a pieceof electronic gear is considered obsolete.  EOL is a term that i hear daily. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
ECU Fail. I'm Really Pissed.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 12:54:18 pm »
If the car isn't 8 years old it may be all free.

8-YEAR/130,000 KILOMETRE MAJOR EMISSION DEFECT & PERFORMANCE WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components that cause the vehicle to fail to conform to federal emissions regulations:

Catalytic Converter
Engine Control Module
Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBD-II)
Other emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year/100,000 kilometre New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Look at that wording - Hyundai will likely not cover this, her vehicle didn't fail emissions! It failed....totally diff situation.

E.g. Go for emissions test and vehicle doesn't pass test because ECU is bad

Vs

Vehicle doesn't work because ECU disabled vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 12:57:57 pm »
I wonder how cars made in the last decade or so will be perceived in the future as classics due to the servicability of of all the electronics gizmos.  I know in the communications industrythat it doesnt take too long before a pieceof electronic gear is considered obsolete.  EOL is a term that i hear daily.

Yeah. I'd say a lot of cars in the last 20 or so years will end up as yard ornaments or on their way to the crusher because of the proprietary nature of the ECUs and the coding they run.

If a person is missing a part for a 90 year old Packard, they can get it sand cast, machined or even 3D fabricated. Dealing with old controllers is going to be an order of magnitude more complicated.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 01:02:46 pm »
   Hyundai make a big deal about their warranty. If it's within the wording and they don't honor it post it here. The information will help on the next purchase.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 01:03:10 pm »

Yeah. I'd say a lot of cars in the last 20 or so years will end up as yard ornaments or on their way to the crusher because of the proprietary nature of the ECUs and the coding they run.

If a person is missing a part for a 90 year old Packard, they can get it sand cast, machined or even 3D fabricated. Dealing with old controllers is going to be an order of magnitude more complicated.

Only exceptional cars of the past are still around, the rest rusted away or were crushed. It will be the same with modern cars. Maybachs, ZR1s, Vipers and Boss Mustangs will be kept.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 01:05:35 pm »
Gosh....got every one.  :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 01:07:01 pm »
...earlier this year, when I started shopping for other cars, then stopped because of the job change.
First, sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

...but know that it's nothing you did.  I felt similarly every time the Corolla gave me grief.  I did everything I could to maintain the :censor: and treat it with respect (except for the time I let Yarkony drive it... ;D).  I did some fixes (nothing major, fortunately), and kept going until the opportunity presented itself to replace.

I know this is another knock against the Santa Fe, but your original decision to stop looking for another car due to the job change is still a valid concern.  If you're in a position where replacing the car is a non-issue (i.e. you can do the transaction without having to consider your finances otherwise), then go ahead and replace 'er.  However, if you still are uncertain about whether to keep it or not, I would probably say get the fix done properly and continue enjoying the ride until you find the right replacement at the right time.

Hyundai make a big deal about their warranty. If it's within the wording and they don't honor it post it here. The information will help on the next purchase.
Hence why the Corolla is the last Toyota you'll find me in for a while.  When I had to fight every time with the stealership to apply the ECP, including waving their own faking terms and conditions in their faces, and it was still not honoured, I vowed to be done with the brand entirely.  Is it logical?  Nah.  Toyotas are still great cars.  ...but I'm angry and I'll hold that anger much like my father will never go near a GM again after the 3sp auto tranny on the 1997 Cavalier went after 3 years and 1 month (guess how long the warranty was :P).

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 01:13:30 pm »
Only exceptional cars of the past are still around, the rest rusted away or were crushed. It will be the same with modern cars. Maybachs, ZR1s, Vipers and Boss Mustangs will be kept.

There are still a plenty of "leaning tower of power" Mopars (and their Ford/GM/other equivalents), running around. Cheap to run, cheap to fix, not particularly noteworthy other than being old at this point.   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 01:14:36 pm »
A dealership can totally ruin an ownership experience. Which is why I refuse to go to my local Lexus dealer and instead travel 1 hour in the US to visit my preferred dealer.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 01:27:52 pm »
   I hate buying a new car...there is something about the experience and the tortuous procedure that is...well...not nice. On the purchase sheet write down the max amount of km on a brand new vehicle that you are prepared to accept. 20km is ok. it should be enough...or more if you like. I would just as soon that they did not remove the plastic. If you buy off the lot you get to see the vehicle before hand.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 01:37:42 pm »
I make you good deal on 2014 Crosstrek!   ;)

A dealership can totally ruin an ownership experience. Which is why I refuse to go to my local Lexus dealer and instead travel 1 hour in the US to visit my preferred dealer.

I guess because there is plenty of competition around me that I've never really had a bad dealership experience.
Closest I guess would have been Volvo, but it wasn't really 'bad',  it just had a vibe that the employees were surprised when they arrived in the morning the lights were still on.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »

This is true. "they don't build them like they used to" is in large part because the only old ones that survived are the amazingly well built ones to begin with. The crap is no longer in the sample set.

Ditto houses.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2017, 08:39:07 pm »

This is true. "they don't build them like they used to" is in large part because the only old ones that survived are the amazingly well built ones to begin with. The crap is no longer in the sample set.

Ditto houses.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That's not necessarily the case with either cars, or houses.  I think it's the more interesting ones that survive, but that doesn't mean they are the best built. 

Some of the cars I see going for big $$$ on Barrett Jackson, et al were never really well built, or great drivers even in their day.  I've driven many of them and most of the cars from the 60s - early 80s were :censor: to drive and not very well put together, but they're still cool in thier own way.

Same for houses.  Many architecturally significant houses were/are high maintenance nightmares, and really hard to build in some cases due to their complex engineering challenges.  Some of them were not very practical, or comfortable as living quarters either.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:41:12 pm by KDS2K »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 08:44:01 pm »
UPDATE:  I picked up my car today.  I got a better explanation of what happened, not that it changes my mind much about the whole experience.  It wasn't the entire ECU that failed.  It was only the part that tells the spark plugs and other bits to set fire to things to create the 'bang' in 'suck, squeeze, bang and blow' (that's how I understood it, anyway).  He found corrosion in that area of the board

It was replaced with a non-corroded refurbished unit for 1/2 the price of a brand new one.  I am totally fine with that.  If the design of the truck is such that it will take another 7 years to corrode the ECU into failure, so be it.  It will be someone else's problem at that point.

Thanks for all the comments!  You guys are awesome, as usual.   :)