Author Topic: What car/suv/truc should I get please?  (Read 7741 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: What car/suv/truc should I get please?
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 10:17:27 am »
At this point I can't believe no one has suggested a Miata or a Model X  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline herbeapuce

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: matrix 05
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 07:41:17 pm »

I love my Montero, has it been flawless, hell to the no, do I still love it, yes. I would never recommend a Mitsubishi outside of a Montero or Evo to anyone.

I would like to know why would you not recommend the Mitsubishi outlander .  it is a model I'm contemplating....

Everyone:  what are your thoughts on the Outlander  please ?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 07:54:00 pm »

I love my Montero, has it been flawless, hell to the no, do I still love it, yes. I would never recommend a Mitsubishi outside of a Montero or Evo to anyone.

I would like to know why would you not recommend the Mitsubishi outlander .  it is a model I'm contemplating....

Take 3 or 4 CUV's for a test drive, do the Outlander last, and you will notice a difference.  Dated, hard plastics, doesn't feel tight when you drive.  It's noisy, it's thirsty.  But it does have a good AWD system. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 09:31:43 pm »
To the OP,  Stef.

We had an 05 Vibe, same as your Matrix.

We then got a Subaru, but the head gasket went, then the replacement engine blew up big time too. 

So, get a Cayenne, it's always the best answer.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 10:50:22 pm »
To the OP,  Stef.

We then got a Subaru, but the head gasket went, then the replacement engine blew up big time too. 

perfect hunting/fishing vehicle.  How much for the front brakes and buying new tires on a Cayenne,   ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2017, 01:00:17 am »
To the OP,  Stef.

perfect hunting/fishing vehicle.  How much for the front brakes and buying new tires on a Cayenne,   ;D

Front brakes are about  $200 and up.  I got slotted and cross-drilled for the back for under $200.
Tires aren't any more expensive than other vehicles,  my 18"  were under $1k

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2017, 08:23:40 am »
To the OP,  Stef.

Front brakes are about  $200 and up.  I got slotted and cross-drilled for the back for under $200.

I guess the base model has 18", most have 19" - 21" even from factory. 

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2017, 08:39:06 am »

The Outlander (07+) is also a good vehicle. Reliable (mine is 11 years old so I know a thing or two about it FIRST hand), very versatile when it comes to carrying stuff and with a good 4WD combined with good ground clearance (8.5 inch). Can tow up to 3500 lbs with V6.
I would strongly suggest to go for the V6/6 AT combo not the crappy 2.4L/CVT combination found in some 09+. The I4/CVT combination I would NOT recommend at all, especailly the first iterations.

Now, it will burn more gas than CRV or even V6 RAV4 of the same vintage but it depends on your tolerance and the way you drive. It can be decent if driven lightly - low to mid 8L/100km highway can be achieved consistently depending on the conditions; my personal best was 7.3L/100km with smooth driving on side roads and highway.

I would agree with what was said that any of these would be able to go where you need to go, except when things get muddy or slippery. This is where an Outalnder or Forester will make the difference with their better 4WD. CRV and RAV4 have weak AWD systems in general.

Few additional points:
- Dated: any car of that vintage would be dated, but I would argue that the Outlander is more dated than the rest. Actually I think it's the opposite (take a look at the dash and you'll find elements present in 2018 vehicles - Alfa, Land Rover....). The minimalist dash with HVAC knobs below is a current theme for many highly regarded cars today.
- Interior does feel cheaper compared to CRV (it is) but not much more than RAV4 or Forester (they had rather cheap interiors too). The smooth, hard plastic door panels may be easier to clean if you are into outdoors/trail stuff although they bring a cheap air to the cabin.
- Even with the V6, not as refined as CRV but definitely feels stronger/faster when pushed. A RAV4 V6 would be the best choice from the engine perspective out of all and by far.
- You may also appreciate the the drop-down tailgate on the Outlander. Absolutely great for sitting 2 average adults (holds 200 kg) and loading bulky stuff.
- You may find the interior noisier than other vehicles, but it's all relative to your expectations and tolerance. None of the other options of the same vintage are vault quiet either (Forester, comes to mind as I drove one for a while and I can relate). I would say again, the CRV is the most refined vehicle out of all (RAV, Forester, Rogue, Outlander)

In a nutshell, if you are looking for a reliable, utilitarian vehicle, suited for unpaved roads, outdoor activities, light towing, the Outlander V6 could definitely be a consideration. You may need to look for a well maintained/preserved unit though. The money you save compared to a CRV/RAV4/Forester you can put towards replacing some wear and tear parts (it depends how old the car is).

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:52:44 am by carcrazy »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2017, 09:14:38 am »

I'm more curious as to why you're considering the Outlander?  What drives you to consider it?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 11:39:00 am »

I'm more curious as to why you're considering the Outlander?  What drives you to consider it?

Easy to find in a parking lot!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2017, 11:40:58 am »
Didn't realize the new Outlander lost the clamshell tailgate.  That's a shame.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2017, 11:57:00 am »
Didn't realize the new Outlander lost the clamshell tailgate.  That's a shame.

Yep... since 2012 redesign. Stupid indeed ... this is one of my favorite features....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2017, 12:15:19 pm »

Easy to find in a parking lot!

LOL... make it red like mine, a color that was only offered for 07MY and in small numbers, and you'll never have a problem finding your car in the parking lot for sure.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2017, 12:27:14 pm »
I never have problems finding the Forester...it has a Minnie Mouse ball on its antenna.

...and yet, somehow I like driving that car.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2017, 02:05:03 pm »
To the OP,  Stef.

I guess the base model has 18", most have 19" - 21" even from factory.

I believe the 18" wheels fit all models.  Mine is a Cayenne S (same brakes as the turbo)  and has 18".   I had 22" and hated them.

Offline herbeapuce

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: matrix 05
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2017, 06:23:37 am »
@ carcrazy: thank you for your excellent post about the Outlander.

@ No-san:  I sometimes watch a  tv show called RPM+ and I heard these guys recommending the Outlander  for an outdoor enthusiast person.  it is mostly the good off-road and towing capability that I consider for this model.  And I don't find it ugly ( hey I drive a Matrix...I also don't hate the look of the Honda Crosstour btw...) But I have never sat inside or tried one.

I would consider a Rav4 V6 .  but a coworker of mine has one. he lives in downtown Montreal.  he got stock with it twice after the snow plow truck had passed.  he himself told me he wasn't to impressed with the atv drive..

Subary  is another choice but I'm a bit scared ... I would be so p*$$ed if I ever get one burning to much oil... I will be trying a Crosstrek soon when I get to see my brother in law

decisions  decisions... thank you for your help guys. it is very much appreciated.

stef

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2017, 06:37:53 am »
@ carcrazy: thank you for your excellent post about the Outlander.

@ No-san:  I sometimes watch a  tv show called RPM+ and I heard these guys recommending the Outlander  for an outdoor enthusiast person.  it is mostly the good off-road and towing capability that I consider for this model.  And I don't find it ugly ( hey I drive a Matrix...I also don't hate the look of the Honda Crosstour btw...) But I have never sat inside or tried one.

I would consider a Rav4 V6 .  but a coworker of mine has one. he lives in downtown Montreal.  he got stock with it twice after the snow plow truck had passed.  he himself told me he wasn't to impressed with the atv drive..

Subary  is another choice but I'm a bit scared ... I would be so p*$$ed if I ever get one burning to much oil... I will be trying a Crosstrek soon when I get to see my brother in law

decisions  decisions... thank you for your help guys. it is very much appreciated.

stef
A Rav  stuck in snow after a plow goes by means nothing without pictures  :rofl2:

I think you should get a Tesla Model X  ;D