Author Topic: Porsche Mission E - Taycan  (Read 11279 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Porsche Mission E - Taycan
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:37:58 pm »
http://insideevs.com/porsche-says-mission-e-priority-one/

It seems to have dawned on luxury car makers that if they take a Tesla approach to powertrains and combine that with their own expertise on chassis and interiors then there is perhaps money to be made. Many many money  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:28:29 am by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Porsche Mission E
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:47:44 pm »
I don't think that your assessment is correct in terms of the motivation for building EVs.

Tesla is able to operate the way it does because it is a growth company. Its stock and shareholders are analogous to tech companies which are worth billions, have huge growth rates, and generate the slimmest of profit margins. It's acceptable to shareholders because they're trading profits for growth. Teslas are expensive but flawed, and are appealing to early adopters and EV enthusiasts moreso than to the general public.

It's more difficult for traditional automakers to go down that route. As established companies with slow growth, their shareholders demand strong profit margins which is not currently possible with EVs. Tesla can (for now) get away with a car the size of a 5-series, the price of a 7-series, and the interior of a 3-series but others can't. In the short term, the profit potential of EVs is practically nonexistent.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:00:31 am »
It's a rather complex equation. On one side there is dieselgate and ever tightening emission standards and on the other Tesla stealing their luxury sales, a start-up that no one in the industry took seriously enough. To add insult to injury, Tesla is walking away with the carbon credit money, generously bought by established gas guzzler makers through carbon taxes and fines. So that's when I suppose Porsche et al had to ask themselves if it would be smarter to invest in their own e-supercars which the 1%-ers seem to adore, instead of bankrolling Musk for no apparent reason. Their strength here are the established links with major oem suppliers and dirt-cheap prices that come with volume purchase agreements. Put it all together, while the initial R&D costs will be huge, luxury car sales have always come with healthy profit margins and the tech would trickle down to mainstream cars, allowing the multi-brand auto giants to keep growing.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 10:03:40 am »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 10:20:41 am »
Here is some info on the Mission-E and porsche's reason for selling it.

http://www.drivesideways.com/porsche-e-performance/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 10:24:15 am »

Uggg...another proprietary charging system?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 11:02:11 am »

Uggg...another proprietary charging system?

I think VW was told to spend some serious coin on the US charging network as part of the dieselgate settlement. They may as well make sure no-one else can use it  :P

In the grand scheme of things it will be like being able to fill your Lexus at Shell only for example. An inconvenience but not a deal breaker, providing there are plenty of chargers to go to.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 11:48:08 am »

providing there are plenty of chargers to go to.

And therein lies the issue

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 11:51:28 am »
Porsche thinks the gov should be installing them.   Mentioned they should have them at Timmies

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 11:53:12 am »
Porsche thinks the gov should be installing them.   Mentioned they should have them at Timmies
I think I should be dating Scarlett Johansson. Let's see who gets their wish first.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 10:22:09 pm »
My neighbour sold his Porsche and picked up a Tesla and immediately put 1000 km on it in his first week. 

I am a fan of the Porsche brand and was interested in getting one, but Tesla won me over in 2009 with the Roadster and I needed to bide my time before getting our S.

I do hope this Mission E is a big hit and it drives more performance drivers to EV's.  The more the better.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 11:08:28 pm »
My neighbour sold his Porsche and picked up a Tesla and immediately put 1000 km on it in his first week. 

I am a fan of the Porsche brand and was interested in getting one, but Tesla won me over in 2009 with the Roadster and I needed to bide my time before getting our S.

I do hope this Mission E is a big hit and it drives more performance drivers to EV's.  The more the better.
Take an air cooled, rwd 911 out for a proper rip and come back and tell me how great some electric golf kart with no soul is.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 04:12:41 pm »
Take an air cooled, rwd 911 out for a proper rip and come back and tell me how great some electric golf kart with no soul is.

My bucket list does contain a Nürburgring run in a 911 GT3, so I totally get what you are saying.

As I have outlined last year when I joined here, I am a gear head just as much as anyone here.
I came out of a series of 300HP+ cars, many with manual transmissions.
I've done track days, I've launched cars into corn fields while drifting on gravel, it's all good.

This was before I got married, and before I switched to my Smart ED and my wife's Tesla.
I love the Smart ED, and while it's no 911, it has it's own charm for the kind of 50 km/h speed limits streets I commute through.

As for the Tesla, it is a tremendously good handling car, rear wheel drive, 350HP+ and instance response, it's an absolute joy to drive hard, but believe me, there are very few roads in Ontario that would even remotely challenge such a car.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 08:17:40 pm »
https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-ceo-tesla-buyers-mission-e/

“I think we have lots of respect for Tesla – and, yes, I’m sure there are some Porsche customers, that in terms of connectivity, digital stuff in the car and electric battery in the vehicles, didn’t find the car that they wanted with Porsche so they bought somewhere else,” says Zellmer.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 10:36:39 am »
As everyone knows, the Porsche Misson E became Porsche Taycan..

YT Fully Charged with Johnny Smith https://youtu.be/TP9kokeyxGU
"Porsche Taycan WORLD EXCLUSIVE genuine first drive & launch control testing 0-200kph | Fully Charged"

Edit: Why fake engine noise simulation ?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:46:51 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 10:42:26 am »
I'm not changing the subject  >:D  :P

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 10:42:29 pm »
What a beautiful car.  Full stop.

The fake sound is annoying, sigh, I imagine there will be an option to disable it.

As for the performance, just shy of the Tesla P100D in 0-100 km/h, but perhaps even higher upper end grunt, I'm sure there will be a German race track time posted for it, I am absolutely impressed.

Go Porsche!

The more compelling offerings in this space, the better.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a28815000/2020-porsche-taycan-nurburgring-record-lap-video/

A pre-production Taycan was able to lay down a lap of 7:42 on the 12.8-mile circuit, piloted by Porsche test driver Lars Kern. That makes it quicker than cars like the Mercedes-AMG E63 S wagon, the Volvo S60 Polestar, and the Honda Civic Type R, but slower than the Renault Mégane R.S. Trophy-R, BMW M5, and the Porsche's own Panamera Turbo.

Porsche claims this time is a record for four-door electric vehicles at the Nurburgring. As far as we're aware, it's the only electric four-door to set a 'Ring lap, but that will likely change with time. And even if the Taycan is the only four-door EV to set a lap time at the Nurburgring, 7:42 is still very impressive.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 12:33:37 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ArIq0QRX4

Video from the former record holder (Model 3) for most EV km driven in 24 hours.

Summary, Taycan is an awesome EV, and Model 3 could match or slightly best the Taycan in same conditions (dedicated track and charger).