Author Topic: Looking For an SUV - Acura RDX Elite vs. Lexus NX Luxury or F Sport 2 vs. ???  (Read 18951 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-432
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
You are going to regret it if you get the NX and have a kid or two.
Unless you get one of those umbrella strollers, you're not going to be able to fit anything else other than your stroller in the cargo area of the NX. 

I just shake my head at comments like that.  Does your friend own the largest stroller in the world?  How big of a stroller is needed to move a child around??  Well we must be awesome because IQ made due with an IS300.  Trunk space was 10 cu feet.  Room for a stroller (not some teeny-tiny thing either), baby bag....the usual things you might take with a day out with baby.  I bet the NX200 cargo space is at least double that.  And your buddy can't find room?  Maybe he needs to shop for a new stroller rather than a new car?

FFS...feel sorry for people who feel like they can't leave the house for an afternoon without packing like they're going away for a week....

Maybe next time you're at your buddies house, snap a picture for us.

I said the same thing when he told me that.  I said, "Why don't you load the folded stroller on its side and put your other stuff in?" He said tried that but didn't make much difference with the strollers large wheels.  I think they're at least 10 or 11" in diameter. 
This is the one he has, I think:
https://www.bugaboo.com/CA/en_CA/strollers/bugaboo-cameleon3

I don't expect guys who had kids years ago to understand the 'issue', the strollers weren't this big back then.
And no-san, you don't get a say until you have a kid or two, lol

Save some cash and buy a cheap umbrella stroller. Most of the world does not require massive baby transporters. We got by with a Ford Contour SVT and a Dodge Dakota space cab (not the 4 door) when our three kids were little. People haul way too much crap around...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Yeah, running strollers are great for running but there are many options out there are aren't as big.

I agree the NX might be a bit small for a family with two young kids.  But a roof box would probably solve that.

We never found we needed more room that the Mazda5 has (and we never had a rack for it) when the kids were young.  And now that they're old the Golf Wagon is suiting us just fine (though I suspect the roof box will get a bit of use). We also carry a ton of stuff for cottage (on an island so everything we need is packed ) and camping trips, likely more than what most people would.

We also made our kids walk a lot of the time.  So really, the stroller was used sparingly and only for the first little while.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
When you open the hatch there was a good chance some would roll out.  In this case where the stroller is eating up most of the footprint of the cargo space, a sedan would be better than a CUV.
Clamshell tailgate in the (older gen) Outlander and X5 FTW!

Look, CR did a report on best compact strollers!!
https://www.consumerreports.org/strollers/best-compact-strollers-for-travel/

I don't expect guys who had kids years ago to understand the 'issue', the strollers weren't this big back then.
I have nephews.  3 of them.  I've folded plenty-a-stroller and shoved same in the back of a 2007 Mazda 3, a 2010 Corolla, a 2011 Nissan Rogue, 2006 Lexus RX400h, and a 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD.  No doubt the latter two were easier, but the others were all 'doable'.  Even the Rogue was fine enough, but yes, you are into stacking territory.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:41:24 am by No-san »

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
When you open the hatch there was a good chance some would roll out.  In this case where the stroller is eating up most of the footprint of the cargo space, a sedan would be better than a CUV.
Clamshell tailgate in the Outlander and X5 FTW!

Look, CR did a report on best compact strollers!!
https://www.consumerreports.org/strollers/best-compact-strollers-for-travel/

I have nephews.  3 of them.  I've folded plenty-a-stroller and shoved same in the back of a 2007 Mazda 3, a 2010 Corolla, a 2011 Nissan Rogue, 2006 Lexus RX400h, and a 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD.  No doubt the latter two were easier, but the others were all 'doable'.  Even the Rogue was fine enough, but yes, you are into stacking territory.

How about that said tailgate being attached to a proper vehicle thats not either A ) ticking s#$tbomb of repairs or B ) something so behind the curve it might as well be from the 1990s. Here a split tailgate attached to the right vehicle:

And you can get your Korean subcompact sized stroller for your 15lb child into the back of these.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
You are going to regret it if you get the NX and have a kid or two.
Unless you get one of those umbrella strollers, you're not going to be able to fit anything else other than your stroller in the cargo area of the NX. 

I just shake my head at comments like that.  Does your friend own the largest stroller in the world?  How big of a stroller is needed to move a child around??  Well we must be awesome because IQ made due with an IS300.  Trunk space was 10 cu feet.  Room for a stroller (not some teeny-tiny thing either), baby bag....the usual things you might take with a day out with baby.  I bet the NX200 cargo space is at least double that.  And your buddy can't find room?  Maybe he needs to shop for a new stroller rather than a new car?

FFS...feel sorry for people who feel like they can't leave the house for an afternoon without packing like they're going away for a week....

Maybe next time you're at your buddies house, snap a picture for us.

I said the same thing when he told me that.  I said, "Why don't you load the folded stroller on its side and put your other stuff in?" He said tried that but didn't make much difference with the strollers large wheels.  I think they're at least 10 or 11" in diameter. 
This is the one he has, I think:
https://www.bugaboo.com/CA/en_CA/strollers/bugaboo-cameleon3

Save some cash and buy a cheap umbrella stroller. Most of the world does not require massive baby transporters. We got by with a Ford Contour SVT and a Dodge Dakota space cab (not the 4 door) when our three kids were little. People haul way too much crap around...

I agree but my wife didn't buy that argument :D

Usually the massive transporters are due to the massive buckets that are law to use. Umbrella strollers are great once your child is close to walking. Only more recently you can buy an umbrella type that can hold a newborn bucket. A newborn that can transfer in a bucket directly onto a stroller is great especially in our cold climate.

It's not as simple as everyone thinks. If you buy a small stroller it's great in the mall but good luck outdoors at the dog park or trail. Most people want an all in one system that is a little larger buts avoids needing to buy 3-4 different strollers for changing child sizes and location of use.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Usually the massive transporters are due to the massive buckets that are law to use. Umbrella strollers are great once your child is close to walking. Only more recently you can buy an umbrella type that can hold a newborn bucket. A newborn that can transfer in a bucket directly onto a stroller is great especially in our cold climate.

It's not as simple as everyone thinks. If you buy a small stroller it's great in the mall but good luck outdoors at the dog park or trail. Most people want an all in one system that is a little larger buts avoids needing to buy 3-4 different strollers for changing child sizes and location of use.
all very good points.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
We last used our personal stroller in 2007-2008 or so. In the intervening time, friends and family have continued to have kids. And strollers haven't quadrupled in size or anything. So it's not like I'm out of the loop. And having pushed strollers from back then until present day, not once did I think a stroller was hard to push...regardless of type. I mean...it's a tiny person you're pushing, not several hundred pounds of mulch or something. So we had a very reasonably sized stroller for pushing a small human.

I don't know...maybe we were just more practical. We just brought what was only needed when out with the kid. Didn't need a huge, giant stroller or baby bag. Even today IQ still uses our original baby bag as a "work purse". It's scarcely larger, if at all, than a tote bag.

The ONE instance I thought a stroller sucked was pushing one across a large gravel parking lot. To be clear...it still wasn't hard to push...it just kinda sucked because of the large gravel deflecting off the wheels. But hard? No. Even for IQ who's all of 90lbs. So if you regularly push around in large gravel lots...you may want a special stroller. But I think that's a minority. YMMV.

For reference is a picture of the NX trunk area with RX trunk numbers to compare. It's not huge...but is not teeny either!  If your stroller is way too big for an NX, I'm guessing a larger RX won't save you.

BTW...NX is a bit restyled for 2018.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:08:33 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
That would still be a bit small for a family of 4 as a primary car.

The width and the height of the RX would make a big difference.

Still, vs the RDX it's probably a wash.  I was surprised when I read that RDX has less cargo capacity than the Golf Wagon.

Speaking of which, I'd add the Golf Wagon with 4 motion or the Alltrack to your list.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:47:14 pm by tortoise »

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
I love how this thread turned into a debate about strollers!
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Many of these big strollers can accommodate a second seat for a second child.  That's why they're pretty bulky.
This is the one we had for our two kids:

This.  We just got one big stroller that can convert into double stroller knowing we didn't want to buy a double stroller when we have our second child.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Many of these big strollers can accommodate a second seat for a second child.  That's why they're pretty bulky.

This.  We just got one big stroller that can convert into double stroller knowing we didn't want to buy a double stroller when we have our second child.

We have that same (or very similar) City Select double stroller.  The worst part if you can fold it up with the second seat attached.  Fun times loading/unloading that in a busy parking lot!

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L

We have that same (or very similar) City Select double stroller.  The worst part if you can fold it up with the second seat attached.  Fun times loading/unloading that in a busy parking lot!

I always took the second seat out, put in to the side, then nest it right on the first seat once it's loaded into the cargo. It was nice to be able to fit the stroller length-wise in the cargo area, which allowed us to put groceries and boxes on the other side, instead of behind or on top of the stroller.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile

Hmmm that’s a tiny trunk....not even my camping gear would fit in there...perhaps it would with the seats down, but I’d probably run thin on extra space for wood, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Hmmm that’s a tiny trunk....not even my camping gear would fit in there...perhaps it would with the seats down, but I’d probably run thin on extra space for wood, etc

It's 18 cubic feet vs 21 cubic feet for an Explorer.

I's say most people would have sufficient room for camping....though that certainly depends on how one defines "camping".

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile

I's say most people would have sufficient room for camping....though that certainly depends on how one defines "camping".

Let’s add to that...21 cubic feet with the 3rd row up....I never use the 3rd row, so I’m actually filling up 43 cubic feet of camping gear, food, kayaks, etc!

The Escape, same size as the NX, offers 34 cubic feet...just to confirm my initial thoughts that the NX does indeed have a tiny trunk.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Let’s add to that...21 cubic feet with the 3rd row up....I never use the 3rd row, so I’m actually filling up 43 cubic feet of camping gear, food, kayaks, etc!

The Escape, same size as the NX, offers 34 cubic feet...just to confirm my initial thoughts that the NX does indeed have a tiny trunk.

It's exactly in line (or better) than the competition..of which the lower-rent Escape is not a competitor.  Certainly if your idea of camping is bringing everything but the kitchen sink, then yes...it would be too small for you.  FWIW, in the same baggage test, the Escape did 10/23.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:34:43 am by rrocket »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

It's exactly in line (or better) than the competition..of which the lower-rent Escape is not a competitor.  Certainly if your idea of camping is bringing everything but the kitchen sink, then yes...it would be too small for you.  FWIW, in the same baggage test, the Escape did 10/23.

That is a great test for useable space

Online Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
Maybe it's just me, but if I was a young couple thinking of having kids in a few years, the last thing I would be doing is buying a brand new ~60k luxury SUV/CUV.  The likelihood of you keeping it for 6+ years is low with so many life changes coming your way, and there are just many more practical ways of spending (saving) that kind of money.

Back on topic though, having a Q3, I wouldn't consider it big enough for a family of 4.  Of course you could make it work (generations did with smaller vehicles), but it's pretty tiny with the back seats up.  I keep mine down all the time for shuttling the dog around and it's fine, but coming from a Wrangler Unlimited I do find it SMALL.  On the plus side it's an absolute blast to drive.  I know people hate on CUV's, but I've owned plenty of different ones and just considered them as practical to have, but this is the first one that actually puts a smile on my face to drive.  Put it in Sport and Dynamic modes and it growls and handles like crazy, it makes me wonder how nice it must be to drive a Macan.

As for the turbo discussion, this is my first time owning one, it's a 2015 and with ~50k I had the turbo fail/replaced this past summer.  Luckily it was covered under warranty, would have been $2200, but it definitely solidified for me that this vehicle will be a "time to move on" once the warranty is ending!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

The other thing to consider is how messy your kids and wife are going to be. The interior of the MDX gets pretty destroyed with all sorts of garbage and mud and whatever else gets dragged in there so we'll plan to drive it to the ground or until the kids are old enough to no longer destroy a fine vehicle. Hopefully that comes in another 2-3 years and we'll be shopping for some sort of luxury mid-size SUV I imagine.

I had strict policy about food and drinks in my car when the kid was little...as in none allowed in my car.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
That is currently my policy after getting in the car and seeing this.