Author Topic: Canadians getting screwed!  (Read 105635 times)

barrie1

Re: Canadians getting screwed!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 11:12:24 pm »
Even with the difference in the quantity of the fluid I think Gas is still more expensive here then in the US. Especially the gas that we ship over to them as well. Sarnia Ont as a example supplies a lot of fuel to the US thru the Port Huron Bridge crossing and the fuel which is produced in the Sarnia refinerys is definitely cheaper to buy in the US side. To me thats one example by itself.  As I never buy new vehicles the price difference does not bother me that much at all. :)

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 12:37:44 am »
Can I just say one thing. We're in Canada, Not in America or part of America. Canada is a different and a separate country. You might as well compare things in Mexico. Its still in North America and prices are cheaper there too. :P

No offense intended but I'm really tired of that inane argument too. We are inextricably tied to the US like it not. Our trade, economies, culture and even our politics flow back and forth constantly. The only way for Canada to gauge it self in the grand scheme of things is to compare ourselves to our nearest neighbor. For example, how many local plumbers do you think we would have if they made $25000 in Canada and $140,000 in the states? The comparisons to the US are valid and needed. There should be no reason a Civic made in Aliston should be cheaper in California than Ontario.
Oh wait I forgot we're another country, and to fully be Canadian we must accept our quasi-monopolistic captive market... :banghead:

Offline Baron von Raschke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 03:06:59 am »
 :iagree:

Just because we're Canadian doesn't mean we should accept things the way they are without questioning them. Our dollar is at par, yet we pay up 35% more for the same vehicle that an American would buy.  We need to question this and when we get silly answers like "you're paying for stronger heaters, bigger wash fluid tanks and Super Duper wiper blades" that just drives us Stateside to save $10,000 and, utimatley, as a form of protest against the auto makers that gouge the Canadian consumer.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 04:00:42 am »
Canada needs to pass tough legislation to prevent Toyota, Honda, and Nissan from dumping their fifteen year old right hand drive cars here. These right hand drive vehicles are dangerous for other drivers on our roads.  In addition their old dated engines are causing more pollution than newer cars. 

As far as I know Japan does not allow its citizens to drive cars that are older than ten years so why are they dumping them here?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:10:51 am by duck »

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 05:53:39 am »
Canada needs to pass tough legislation to prevent Toyota, Honda, and Nissan from dumping their fifteen year old right hand drive cars here. These right hand drive vehicles are dangerous for other drivers on our roads.  In addition their old dated engines are causing more pollution than newer cars. 

As far as I know Japan does not allow its citizens to drive cars that are older than ten years so why are they dumping them here?

I don't this is a case of anyone dumping. Rather it's Canadians who have chosen to import them and since the numbers are so miniscule I'm not going to worry about it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 06:29:33 am »
Can I just say one thing. We're in Canada, Not in America or part of America. Canada is a different and a separate country. You might as well compare things in Mexico. Its still in North America and prices are cheaper there too. :P

No offense intended but I'm really tired of that inane argument too. We are inextricably tied to the US like it not. Our trade, economies, culture and even our politics flow back and forth constantly. The only way for Canada to gauge it self in the grand scheme of things is to compare ourselves to our nearest neighbor. For example, how many local plumbers do you think we would have if they made $25000 in Canada and $140,000 in the states? The comparisons to the US are valid and needed. There should be no reason a Civic made in Aliston should be cheaper in California than Ontario.
Oh wait I forgot we're another country, and to fully be Canadian we must accept our quasi-monopolistic captive market... :banghead:

Just because we're Canadian doesn't mean we should accept things the way they are without questioning them. Our dollar is at par, yet we pay up 35% more for the same vehicle that an American would buy.  We need to question this and when we get silly answers like "you're paying for stronger heaters, bigger wash fluid tanks and Super Duper wiper blades" that just drives us Stateside to save $10,000 and, utimatley, as a form of protest against the auto makers that gouge the Canadian consumer.

OK.  Then get started on forming a customs union or Common market between the two countries.  I'll support that.  Common standards, tax harmonization, common external tariffs and sooner or later a true common currency.
I think that this should have been done about a century ago. Now... maybe one had best hope for McCain to be the next US president and Harper to win a really big majority... even then I wouldn't give it much hope.

We could do some good things:   Get rid of farm marketing boards. Weaken the powers of provinces to the same as US states relative the the federal government. Allow freedom of movement of labour in a general sense not just with "free trade" visas.

It won't happen because a very large number of people will suddenly have to work for a living. Just imagine what the Council of Canadians would say.

As for just the car thing. the Federal Government could change the RIV regulations in a second.... easy...
Any vehicle that meets US standards  may be imported into Canada and registered for use with just the payment of duties and taxes.  No paper work except to show the invoice at the border and pay the taxes.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 06:53:13 am »

As for just the car thing. the Federal Government could change the RIV regulations in a second.... easy...
Any vehicle that meets US standards  may be imported into Canada and registered for use with just the payment of duties and taxes.  No paper work except to show the invoice at the border and pay the taxes.

Exactly!....the standards are so close for cars the whole RIV thing is kind of silly....
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 09:30:13 am »
XXXACTALLY tpl..it's ALL about JOBS FOR THE BOYS...and regulatory bodies,commissions,steering committees(required auto ref!!!) Laws and enforcement..yada yada tata.............amazing the numbers of hoops our Governments Local Provincial & Federal make us quiescent lil doggies jump thru.....

Shakespeare  WOZ RITE!!!.....Kill all the LAWYERS that infest Parliament and keep legislating more rules and bumph.......the US used to be clear sailing Now they are nearly as bad.......that is what will kill "ROME" not the terrorists or global swarming but regulations growng like KUDZU for the hell of it...with no positive purpose..... :bang: :banghead:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 05:41:02 pm »

WTF does that have to do with American/US pricing.  Pretty sure nobody out there is cross-shopping a Mercedes S-class and a 1993 Nissan Skyline...  never mind your unsubstantiated and unfounded claims that RHD cars are "unsafe".  Have you got any statistics or reports to back up your claim?  England would be a good place to start...  they survive with both RHD and LHD cars on their roads...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 06:06:09 pm »

They are not "dumping" them here.  Enthusiasts are going after them.  Being able to get 300ZX, NSX, Skylines, Supras, GTOs and other cars for less than you can pay here is a great thing.  Oh..and there are a few hoops to jump through to get them, and the shipping cost can be killer...

And my 15 year old Supra passes emissions with FLYING colours......
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

baumer00

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 06:20:42 pm »

OK.  Then get started on forming a customs union or Common market between the two countries.  I'll support that.  Common standards, tax harmonization, common external tariffs and sooner or later a true common currency.
I think that this should have been done about a century ago. Now... maybe one had best hope for McCain to be the next US president and Harper to win a really big majority... even then I wouldn't give it much hope.

We could do some good things:   Get rid of farm marketing boards. Weaken the powers of provinces to the same as US states relative the the federal government. Allow freedom of movement of labour in a general sense not just with "free trade" visas.

While we're at it, can we get rid of municipal governments...starting with Miller?

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 06:30:20 pm »

While we're at it, can we get rid of municipal governments...starting with Miller?

I can't wait to see the back of him leaving on election day.  I've never seen such fiscal irresponsibility than with him and his council of henchmen.

baumer00

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 06:31:50 pm »

I can't wait to see the back of him leaving on election day.  I've never seen such fiscal irresponsibility than with him and his council of henchmen.

But at least the city is running smoothly and everyone can take advantage of all the great services available  ::)

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 06:39:41 pm »
Oh yeah that's it... all the great services that 90% of the city's population does not benefit from.  Oh and don't forget the week long 'smoothly run' process of snow removal from the city streets.  Yep....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 07:54:55 pm »
Problems in the COU :rofl2:

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 08:13:43 pm »

Heh heh heh.  nah... not the COU.  LOL.  I would love to move away from here but the spouse says 'NO'. LOL

baumer00

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 08:17:23 pm »

I'd love to live in a real city, sadly this country seems to lack any truly world-class cities, so I'm stuck here for a couple more years

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 08:18:47 pm »
^^^^What are the things that suck so much about your cities??

Never had complaints here, nor do I ever remember my folks complaining about services not being provided.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 08:19:46 pm »

I'd love to live in a real city, sadly this country seems to lack any truly world-class cities, so I'm stuck here for a couple more years

Montreal comes pretty close to world-class but not quite. :)

baumer00

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 08:21:07 pm »
^^^^What are the things that suck so much about your cities??

Never had complaints here, nor do I ever remember my folks complaining about services not being provided.

My main gripe is with the TTC, it SUCKS (everything about it, the employees, the vehicles, reliability...).  How can Toronto claim to be a world-class city when it has the worst transit system I've seen.  Oh, and our mayor sucks, keeps raising taxes (thanks Dalt for giving them that power, moron) and deleting services.