Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2010-2012  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2010-2012
« on: May 10, 2012, 04:06:38 am »

"I'll reserve the right to revisit this evaluation," says Chris Chase, "but (after three years), I'd call a used Genesis Coupe a safe used car bet."

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2010-2012
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:41:20 am »
It would appear to be a good purchase as a used car. The rear wheel drive is a plus for many drivers. Too bad there is no convertible. A very attractive car design

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5837634518/

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:51:58 am »
The Genesis seems to offer good value. Hard for me to think of it as a real sports car though...maybe more of an affordable Korean GT car (not a bad thing). Also, this car always looks better in real life than in pictures.

Agreed. I don't see this as a competitor to a Mustang GT or 370Z; the RX-8 moreso though.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-456
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:28 am »
I test drove both the 2.0T and the 3.8L V6 and came away fairly impressed.  People always complained about the interior but when it came out it was actually decent, especially if you compared it to the Mustang/Camero/Challenger interior at the time.  I did find that it seemed a bit slow with the 4 cylinder, especially after taking out a new GTI prior to that test drive.  The V6 seemed pleasant but still didn't really give me the feel of a true sports car.  I think the new one is definitely improved in all area's and should continue to be relevant for the next couple of years until the second generation comes out. 

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:49:06 am »
Did the aftermarket ever get focused on this car? Any cultish following by the modifiers?

Probably not as much as say Honda or Nissan, but there is a very niche group who tune Genesis cars. I think the lack of support from Hyundai for performance parts could be part of it, but I think they are trying to change that. Nissan has NISMO, Toyota has TRD, Ford has SVT, Honda has...well, like a dozen. That being said I have seen some Genesis Coupe drift and road rally cars, so there is some following.

As the article says, Hyundai is new to sports cars. It will take time to grow their credibility in that area.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:24:06 am »
The 2.0T's seems to suffer from significant depreciation.  Granted they weren't that expensive to start but finding lightly used 2010's for under 20 k seems to be a pretty solid deal.

And prices are only going to fall more once the upgraded 2.0T comes out.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:32:32 am »
I came across this the other day - looks like a decent deal. Boring colour but nice otherwise.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Hyundai/Genesis/CALGARY/Alberta/5_13022013_200546113213706/

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33:10 am »
The 2L track package was always the best deal, engine out of an Evo X....yes please. Good to hear they are the ones that are depriciating faster, quicker I can get one. So I can get a lighter car, with a more upgradable engine for less money than the V6.....OK. Ill leave the V6 for the middle aged women who like the automatics.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33:58 am »
There was a time Hyundai was selling the base 2.0T for $19,995, so finding a good deal on a base model shouldn't be too hard. And the base actually seems like a pretty good value. IMO it's either that or the GT - the Premium Package seems like a waste of money.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:30:57 pm by The Mighty Duck »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:41:03 am »
I didn't realize they were that cheap when new - the base is $26.5K these days + tax and freight. If they still sold a base for $20K I'd buy it this week.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 09:31:53 am »
The 2L track package was always the best deal, engine out of an Evo X....yes please. Good to hear they are the ones that are depriciating faster, quicker I can get one. So I can get a lighter car, with a more upgradable engine for less money than the V6.....OK. Ill leave the V6 for the middle aged women who like the automatics.

The old 2L turbo is garbage.  A civic Si can keep up to that car in stock form.  If anything get the updated version that's just coming out.  Even if upgrading the engine you're starting out a a better point. 

Offline Mayhemm

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2002 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2011 Audi TT
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:13:40 am »
I purchased a new Genesis Coupe 3.8GT in March 2009.  The quality was lacking in a few places (steering wheel material must have been mummified leather, trunk lining was a molded paper insert with an exposed speaker hanging down) but overall I liked the car's styling, performance, and technology.

In August of last year, I traded the car in for 2 main reasons:

1)  The ride-quality on the GT was simply god-awful (perhaps the standard suspension is more forgiving).  I'm sure that if I had kept the car for years I would have developed back problems from being bounced and jarred so much!  To be fair, some of the blame lies with the poor quality of our roads, which are in the worst condition they've seen in a decade or more.  At highway speed, not only would rough road jar you, but sometimes it would also bounce/drag the car in one direction or another, making it feel unstable.  I did not purchase a car of this type to be forced into driving 80-90km/h on a 100km/h highway just to feel safe!  I used to joke that Hyundai's "GT-tuned" suspension was made of lumber.

2)  The second, more complicated reason why I would not recommend this car is the ineptitude (bordering on negligence) of Hyundai's service techs (at least in my area).  A few months after I bought the car, it developed a problem with the climate control where the air flow would shut off almost completely but the fan motor would still run, change speed, etc.  The only way to correct it was to turn the temperature all the way to MAX, which was fine if you wanted hot air, but the problem would eventually return if you turned the temp down to a more reasonable level.  To complicate matters, this would only occur after several minutes of highway driving, not immediately after startup.  After much fretting I finally got the problem to occur near a Hyundai dealership, so I pulled in, left the car running, and dragged one of their service guys out to look at it.  I told him what the problem was, demonstrated that the climate control was not moving air like it should, even let HIM adjust it himself to further illustrate the problem.  He said "Yeah, there's definitely something wrong there." and told me they couldn't check it today and to book an appointment.  I did as he instructed, but I was not local and would only be returning in several weeks.  Later, when I picked the car up (after leaving it with them for FOUR days plus a weekend) I was told that nothing was wrong with my car.  In the intervening week or so they had forgotten all about my problem.  The tech who had actually SEEN the problem occurring was there but had offered no input.  They had basically started from scratch and I wasted my time showing them the problem WHILE IT WAS HAPPENING.

I came away from the experience with the following summary:  If a problem is not well-documented by Hyundai, totally obvious during visual inspection, or identified by their diagnostic computer, they will not even TRY to solve it!  I though they would at least test out the symptoms and repeatable conditions I laid out.  Nope.  I though they would reason it out something like "Okay, if part A isn't working that could be caused by condition X, Y, or Z".  Nope.

Long story short; If everything goes well with your vehicle and all you need are oil changes and regular maintenance services, Hyundai is great.  Their people were friendly, their paperwork was thorough, and their prices were fair.  But heaven help you if you encounter an undocumented problem.

3)  I also had a problem where the USB input occasionally wouldn't play music from my flash drive, only read NO SONG on the display.  However, that PALES in comparison to the first two issues!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 08:48:48 am »
You just described the majority of new car dealer service departments.  They're interested in service "inspections" where they charge a bunch of labour hours for basically nothing.  If there's something that requires real diagnostic or investigative work, you'll be lucky to find a dealer interested in doing it.

It's not the techs fault.  Some dealers have great techs, but the shops are set up to simply move cars in and out and not really do any involving work.

It's super frustrating when the car is under warranty, as you don't want to take the car to an indie.

Offline MTD

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 02:26:52 am »
I recently traded my '10 2.0T in. 54000 problem free k's. Only unscheduled trip to the dealer was for a faulty relay. Handled very well, comfortable inside and very fun to drive. I'd definitely recommend one as a used car. A loaded GT model like mine can be had for around $22k, but I'd look for a V6 one for the extra power. My 2.0 did feel a little under powered at times for a car ost weight.