Author Topic: I want a bike  (Read 8906 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
I want a bike
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:35:26 pm »
I am looking to get back into motorcycling and I have my eyes set on the new Kawi Z650. I've looked at the FZ-07 but I don't like the looks, plus the adjustable mechanically assisted clutch and brake on the Z are a big PLUS in my books. I think it would be perfect for me to have a bit of weekend fun.
It is brand new for 2017 and the one dealer I visited in Ottawa wouldn't budge on the price. Also no test rides available, and I hear from the few reviews the Z650 vibrations can be quite annoying at HWY speeds.
Is it common to sell bikes at MSRP + Admin + Freight + PDI + Sales Tax? Is the Z650 that hot that the dealer wouldn't budge?
Should I be able to negotiate a deal below MSRP?
Anyone has any recommendations?
I am not in a rush and it just feels wrong to buy something at full price, especially without a test ride. Are all good deals only available at the end of the season?
Anyone can recommend a dealer in the Ottawa area or a specific sales person?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: I want a bike
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:55:52 pm »
I'd recommend going to Moto Ilimitees in Montreal.  They are huge and may actually budge on price.  Also I've noticed there is a TON of competition for bikes in Montreal, Laval etc.

Like the car market in Ottawa, it's a captive market, dealers here tend to never negotiate.

http://www.motosillimitees.com/en/powersports/inventory/new/?order_by=make-asc&results_per_page=24&type=moto&make=Kawasaki&model=Z650&price_min=&price_max=&order_by=make-asc&results_per_page=24

They also have a test ride day on the 28th for Yamaha.... ;)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:56:26 pm »
What about used?
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:12:07 pm »
I'd recommend going to Moto Ilimitees in Montreal.  They are huge and may actually budge on price.  Also I've noticed there is a TON of competition for bikes in Montreal, Laval etc.

Like the car market in Ottawa, it's a captive market, dealers here tend to never negotiate.

http://www.motosillimitees.com/en/powersports/inventory/new/?order_by=make-asc&results_per_page=24&type=moto&make=Kawasaki&model=Z650&price_min=&price_max=&order_by=make-asc&results_per_page=24

They also have a test ride day on the 28th for Yamaha.... ;)

Thanks, Wing!
Actually, I think you are correct. 2 of the 3 bikes I had I bought from Quebec (F4i from Montreal private sale and Yammy 600R from Trois-Rivieres dealer). So much easier to deal with Quebecers than in Ottawa.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 04:12:48 pm »
What about used?
The bike is a brand new model for 2017.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 04:16:25 pm »
All supply and demand, I find. The biggest discounts on bikes are usually on new old stock, especially later on in the season, or on oddball models that didn't catch on.

And just like cars, you have to watch the add ons. Blackfoot is a mega dealer in Calgary famous for advertising low, low prices and when I priced out a bike there they made it all back in various extra fees.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 04:29:02 pm »
Have you test ridden both? Yamaha will have their demo days soon, Kawasaki unfortunately does not have the same. I'm test riding the popular FZ-07 in a few weeks.

Find an independent hole in the wall Kawasaki dealer that doesn't upcharge the hell out of bikes. The one place I can recommend for that is Burnaby Kawasaki but probably a little far for you.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 04:34:46 pm »
Have you test ridden both? Yamaha will have their demo days soon, Kawasaki unfortunately does not have the same. I'm test riding the popular FZ-07 in a few weeks.

Find an independent hole in the wall Kawasaki dealer that doesn't upcharge the hell out of bikes. The one place I can recommend for that is Burnaby Kawasaki but probably a little far for you.

No I have not test ridden either. FZ-07 just doesn't feel right to me ergonomically nor visually. I feel right at home on the Z650. There will be Yammy demo rides in Ottawa coming up soon so I will likely take one out for a spin if I don't land a Z before then.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:46:57 pm »
Demo ride the FZ-07 regardless! And the Suzuki SV650 too.

And the way I see it, you can't see the bike once you're on it. :) The Z650 does look great though, and $7,399 with ABS undercuts both Yamaha and Suzuki by $600. I love that gauge cluster too, although the digital needle with analogue style numbers is an interesting combo. I like nice gauges, that's the thing you see the second most on a motorcycle.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:53:00 pm »
FZ-07 is a turd. I hated it. In real world acceleration tests, the KTM 390 was quicker/as quick.

Find a used 2016 KTM 690.

If you want to do some soft roading, the Honda CB500x is a  fantastic all rounder. Have not read a negative review yet and loved my demo ride.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:04:30 pm »
Lol ok rrocket I'm going to have to stop you right there, faster on the curves maybe but the 390 Duke is almost 2 seconds slower than the FZ-07's 0-60 of 3.4 seconds.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:18:00 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 07:18:10 pm »
Lol ok rrocket I'm going to have to stop you right there, faster on the curves maybe but the 390 Duke is almost 2 seconds slower than the FZ-07's 0-60 of 3.4 seconds.
Go look real world. There were lots of videos.

390 and FZ07 neck and neck.

FZ07 felt slow as hell for the displacement from my demo. Which led me to looking for videos and asking WTF. Felt like an absolute slug compared to my 690. Though maybe the Yamaha was running on one cylinder.

It's a turd. And looks bad too.

Would rather almost anything but the FZ07....an early on I was hugely excited by the Yamaha, having owned many before.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:19:46 pm by rrocket »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 07:20:55 pm »
FZ-07 is a turd. I hated it. In real world acceleration tests, the KTM 390 was quicker/as quick.

If you want to do some soft roading, the Honda CB500x is a  fantastic all rounder. Have not read a negative review yet and loved my demo ride.

I think I want a bit more power than the CB500x has to offer. I buddy of mine, a beginner rider, got rid of it after 1 year.

My last 2 bikes were 100HP+ and that's what I am comfortable with - 100HP give or take. I just need a more comfortable relaxed riding position and don't care all that much about top speed anymore.

VFR would be my #1 choice but I don't want to spend more than $10k OTD. I would be happy with a 2004 or later VTech VFR but don't see myself paying north of $4k for a 12+ year-old bike. I'd rather spend a couple $$$ more a get a brand new ride.

I know nothing about KTM but the single cylinder is a turn-off. I want a refined and somewhat sporty ride and can't stand excessive vibrations. Plus at the price the KTM asks, I think I would rather go for a Z900 with a super smooth 4-cylinder but I am afraid 125HP would be a bit much for me to handle.

I will watch a few reviews on youtube to see what people say about the 690. Maybe the single pot isn't that big of a deal?

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 07:41:18 pm »

I think I want a bit more power than the CB500x has to offer. I buddy of mine, a beginner rider, got rid of it after 1 year.

My last 2 bikes were 100HP+ and that's what I am comfortable with - 100HP give or take. I just need a more comfortable relaxed riding position and don't care all that much about top speed anymore.

VFR would be my #1 choice but I don't want to spend more than $10k OTD. I would be happy with a 2004 or later VTech VFR but don't see myself paying north of $4k for a 12+ year-old bike. I'd rather spend a couple $$$ more a get a brand new ride.

I know nothing about KTM but the single cylinder is a turn-off. I want a refined and somewhat sporty ride and can't stand excessive vibrations. Plus at the price the KTM asks, I think I would rather go for a Z900 with a super smooth 4-cylinder but I am afraid 125HP would be a bit much for me to handle.

I will watch a few reviews on youtube to see what people say about the 690. Maybe the single pot isn't that big of a deal?
Well you've made a great choice with the VFR. I literally have nothing bad to say about it. Spent significant time in the saddle of one....including a 2 hour trek in a thunderstorm. Fantastic bike. Lots of aftermarket support, great sound with pipes and bullet proof reliability, perfect fit and finish.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better all rounder. There's a reason this bike has reached cult status.

FWIW, BMW used the VFR as their benchmark when developing the F800 ST/GT. It's less powerful and a bit lighter.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:43:19 pm by rrocket »

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:38 pm »
I support the VFR idea, I like those a TONNE.
Kawasaki do actually do demo ride days, not sure when the next one is but they do. And sometimes they do them up at Calabogie which isn't terribly far from you. The Z650 would definitely be there.
Disagree strongly that the FZ-07 is a turd, I thoroughly enjoyed it, plenty of low-end grunt for a 7.
But if you're going to go Yamaha get the triple, that engine is so great. XSR900 is worth a look for you. Looks good, goes like hell, rides really nicely, but is a little outside your range - probably $13K by the time it's all said and done.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 09:03:45 pm »
Do you have a link? I could not find anything scheduled and my local dealer confirmed that Kawasaki is not demoing any bikes at their place this year.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »
I support the VFR idea, I like those a TONNE.
Kawasaki do actually do demo ride days, not sure when the next one is but they do. And sometimes they do them up at Calabogie which isn't terribly far from you. The Z650 would definitely be there.
Disagree strongly that the FZ-07 is a turd, I thoroughly enjoyed it, plenty of low-end grunt for a 7.
But if you're going to go Yamaha get the triple, that engine is so great. XSR900 is worth a look for you. Looks good, goes like hell, rides really nicely, but is a little outside your range - probably $13K by the time it's all said and done.
Yep..triple is one of my top 5 engines. Fabulous. But the looks are so meh to me.

Have ridden the FZ7 on 2 occasions. Still think it's a turd.  [emoji1]

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:55 pm »
Kawasaki use to do demo days at Bogie, I was looking forward to it.  Talked to my friend who is the business dev manager there and no news, they aren't coming this year.

Looks like they didn't last year either.

They have an events page... it's full of blanks. https://www.kawasaki.ca/events/month/07-2017

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
I'd like to try the Kawi Z650, I tried out the Z1000 a few  years ago and really liked it, but haven't tried anything else in the line.
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 09:40:05 pm »
Kawasaki use to do demo days at Bogie, I was looking forward to it.  Talked to my friend who is the business dev manager there and no news, they aren't coming this year.

Looks like they didn't last year either.

They have an events page... it's full of blanks. https://www.kawasaki.ca/events/month/07-2017

We don't even have a Kawi dealer in Kingston since a couple of years.    Suzuki and Triumph also went along with that dealer when the "new" owners closed the longtime Kingston landmark, Tony's Cycle

There used to be a great motorcycling demo annually in Picton, it was great.  I got to try out tons of bikes back to back.  Alas, hasn't happened in a while.