Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 1: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel  (Read 32300 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Update 1: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:06:02 am »

Today, we begin a long-term test of a car with an intriguing combination of attributes: the Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Long-Term Test Update 1: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:17:19 am »
I don't know about 2013 but annoyingly the 2012 Highline wagon was not available with Xenon lights in Canada, even as an option, but they were standard in the USA.

The shuttle driver at Guelph VW uses one of these TDI ones with DSG and he complained that the DSG in the diesel can be a bit rough in its changes in the low gears...he put it down to too much torque
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:30:55 am »
This is one of my favourite vehicles out there.  But I can't justify the price of the diesel, when new there is a $3000 differance on the Comfortline trim ($24000, and you don't even get bluetooth, buttons on the steering wheel, or the multifunction trip computer).  When getting one used (about 1 year), the same trim, the differance is $5000.  I know driving a diesel is more than just the fuel efficiency, but people buying compacts are often trying to save money, so I think the 2.5L is good enough, if it had the missing items I mentioned from the highline trim, it would be perfect.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:02:26 am »
 :iagree:

Diesel is typically less than a G note option in Europe. For some odd reason the novelty diesel tax jumps exponentially when it crosses the pond.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:10:37 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:09:45 am »
It's too bad that you can't get the Sportline goodies (18" wheels, sport seats, and sport suspension in particular) with the Highline TDI.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:10:25 am »
Is the diesel still not available on the base model? I don't get that.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:39:46 am »
Looking forward to updates on this.  VW is supposed to be coming out with the EA288 Diesel engine that in the same displacement generates 190 hp and 280 lbft.  That would definitely spruce up the acceleration.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:43 am »
That cargo area is very roomy from the picture.  Maybe this could be an option to my CUV (RDX is at the top of my list) purchase. 
A visit to a VW dealership is in order :)

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 11:04:30 am »
I don't know about 2013 but annoyingly the 2012 Highline wagon was not available with Xenon lights in Canada, even as an option, but they were standard in the USA.

The shuttle driver at Guelph VW uses one of these TDI ones with DSG and he complained that the DSG in the diesel can be a bit rough in its changes in the low gears...he put it down to too much torque

The Golf Wagon (Jetta SportWagen) in US does not get HIDs or fog lights as an option. HIDs are only an option on the TDI hatchback.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 11:07:35 am »
That cargo area is very roomy from the picture.  Maybe this could be an option to my CUV (RDX is at the top of my list) purchase. 

yeah, even having driven it before, when taking pictures of the cargo bay it still surprised me how big it was, but when my wife first saw it in our driveway, she immediately commented on how long it is—especially true relative to the Golf hatch, which seems much shorter—the wagon is over a foot (35 cm) longer...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:18 am »
Looking forward to updates on this.  VW is supposed to be coming out with the EA288 Diesel engine that in the same displacement generates 190 hp and 280 lbft.  That would definitely spruce up the acceleration.

Early reports are suggesting that the new Golf/Golf Estate will be powered by the EA288 150hp diesel. The 190 hp version will be reserved for the GTD.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15:01 am »

yeah, even having driven it before, when taking pictures of the cargo bay it still surprised me how big it was, but when my wife first saw it in our driveway, she immediately commented on how long it is—especially true relative to the Golf hatch, which seems much shorter—the wagon is over a foot (35 cm) longer...

Didnt you have a Jetta wagon?? Isnt this just a rebadged Jetta wagon??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 11:38:31 am »
the ea288 diesel will be coming in 2 outputs.  150hp and 184hp - at least in europe.  the new ea288 engine is suppose to address any potential "heater" issues in the winter as well.   the new a3 sedan will come with this engine first i would think, followed by the new golf next summer.   i love this wagon but isn't it long overdue for a redesign?   it must be coming soon.  i would think that the vws will get the ea288 150hp version all across the board and hopfully the 184hp 2L diesel will go to the audis.  too bad vw is the only company that brings manual diesels to NA  (Take note bmw!!!!)

Not sure what you mean with BMW, the only diesel they have on a sedan is the 335d at $52,000 (which is no longer available, because no one bought it). This forum is about a wagon.   I like BMW, but they should have brought a smaller diesel.  At least you can get a manual gas wagon from BMW, with Audi you can't. 

I would complain more about the lack of wagons available, never mind diesels and manual combos.  VW needs some competition for wagons, but they aren't going to get it, because it's such a small market share no one cares.  And it is the fault of the US.  For instance, I don't understand why we don't get the Mazda6 wagon, the same plant the makes the sedan, makes the wagon, so why not ship us some.  Even if it is small market, your going to sell some, and Mazda likes to be unique.  I still see a lot of sport hatches and wagons from the 1st generation.

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 11:55:26 am »
the ea288 diesel will be coming in 2 outputs.  150hp and 184hp - at least in europe.  the new ea288 engine is suppose to address any potential "heater" issues in the winter as well.   the new a3 sedan will come with this engine first i would think, followed by the new golf next summer.   i love this wagon but isn't it long overdue for a redesign?   it must be coming soon.  i would think that the vws will get the ea288 150hp version all across the board and hopfully the 184hp 2L diesel will go to the audis.  too bad vw is the only company that brings manual diesels to NA  (Take note bmw!!!!)

Not sure what you mean with BMW, the only diesel they have on a sedan is the 335d at $52,000 (which is no longer available, because no one bought it). This forum is about a wagon.   I like BMW, but they should have brought a smaller diesel.  At least you can get a manual gas wagon from BMW, with Audi you can't. 

I would complain more about the lack of wagons available, never mind diesels and manual combos.  VW needs some competition for wagons, but they aren't going to get it, because it's such a small market share no one cares.  And it is the fault of the US.  For instance, I don't understand why we don't get the Mazda6 wagon, the same plant the makes the sedan, makes the wagon, so why not ship us some.  Even if it is small market, your going to sell some, and Mazda likes to be unique.  I still see a lot of sport hatches and wagons from the 1st generation.

The E90 335d is no longer available because the new generation (F30) of 3 series came out. If you visit the diesel forums you will see that there are a lot of individuals who bought the 335d, especially in US. It was only outfitted with an automatic since BMW has no manual transmission that can handle 425 lb-ft of torque at 1750 rpm. BMW has confirmed that they will bring the F30 320d in MY 2014, which will have 181 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque available with both the 6-speed manual and the 8-speed ZF auto. It comes in sedan and wagon forms. The question is: "Who amongst us common folk is ready to dump 50k on a 320d 6-speed manual BMW estate?"

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 12:04:44 pm »
That Sportline trim is interesting.  Seems like a lot of goodies for a pretty reasonable price - but damn, NOT choosing the 2.0 diesel would be tough.  That shove-in-the-back torque nearly sold me on it, as did the sweet 6MT.  I'm sure the autos.ca folks will be enjoying this test vehicle.

Any word on the MK VII golf wagon yet?  I assume it will be coming to North America, given the relative popularity of Golf/Jetta Wagons on the road, and lack of competition.  Of course, many of us said the same thing about the new Focus wagon, and that sure didn't go anywhere...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 12:24:47 pm »
Is the diesel still not available on the base model? I don't get that.

I get it completely; the TDi is a niche model here so VW tacks on a nice fat premium to make the bottom line very nice.

Anyway,you would have to do a heck of a lot of driving to make up the cost of the TDi engine and I would live in quaking fear that something would go wrong out of warranty. As soon as the base warranty expired I would be either selling the car or buying the best factory extended warranty available.

I like this car a lot but were it mine, I would go for a gas/5 speed. The cost of the automatic at $1400 is absurd.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 01:08:32 pm »
The E90 335d is no longer available because the new generation (F30) of 3 series came out. If you visit the diesel forums you will see that there are a lot of individuals who bought the 335d, especially in US. It was only outfitted with an automatic since BMW has no manual transmission that can handle 425 lb-ft of torque at 1750 rpm. BMW has confirmed that they will bring the F30 320d in MY 2014, which will have 181 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque available with both the 6-speed manual and the 8-speed ZF auto. It comes in sedan and wagon forms. The question is: "Who amongst us common folk is ready to dump 50k on a 320d 6-speed manual BMW estate?"

Considering that the upcoming 328i wagon will be offered only with an automatic in North America I highly doubt we'll see a manual 320d wagon, if we see a wagon version at all. It will be interesting to see if BMW will offer the 320d with AWD; without it, it's almost a non-starter here as only enthusiasts and budget minded buyers seem to opt for the RWD models these days. I'm sure that partly explains why the 335d had such a low take rate (in addition to its very high price).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 01:13:07 pm »
Wait a few years (if the grim reaper is not mowing yer lawn!!! :D ) IN A FEW YEARS (YEAH WE KNOW ...SAID BEFORE MUTLIPLE TIMES) Diesel weasels  are inserting their snouts into many a vehicle...if CAR SITES are to be Believed !!???...................

those "premium " prices will disipate like an NOx fairy sipping on an Urea Martini....................... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »

Yes, I was aware the model was discontinued due to the new BMW generation..."With the introduction of the all-new 2012 3 Series BMW quietly axed the low-selling 335d diesel model, but now the an ultra-efficient oil-burner is set to return to our shores." as per autoguide.  Not sure what you mean by a lot owning the 335d, I have seen only 4 examples of the car, I have seen more X5,Q7, and Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel models.  Maybe the people on forum, are the only ones who bought them.  Anyway, finally BMW has fixed their mistake, and is offering a smaller diesel in North America.  Not sure how accurate the price of 50k is on the 320d, considering the 335d was more powerful, and that costed 52k.  You can get an Audi A3 TDI (which is smaller I know) for $35k, or an Audi A4 Avant with 8 speed Auto (for $43k), I would predict the base model with 6 speed manual would be $45k.  I guess time will tell.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 04:39:52 pm »
I would presume that there will be a Golf 7 wagon when they get around to it.