Author Topic: Searching for replacement for G35 coupe  (Read 4407 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Searching for replacement for G35 coupe
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 10:26:38 pm »
one of these has you covered for sportiness and utility, but perhaps not fuel economy...

If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 10:31:06 pm »
How about a slightly used 4 series GT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 10:43:24 pm »
CPO Audi A7?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 10:44:47 pm »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 10:53:54 pm »
i like the GTi recommendation.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 12:06:44 am »
You guys are starting to make me think about maybe going for a pre-owned GT or wagon.

The A7 is an interesting proposition. But what about the FGC factor? Mind you, I do come from a family that has driven European brands with little issues.

I've also thought of a 3-series wagon.
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/3%20series/vancouver/british%20columbia/5_37211192_bs200433113619/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ursrc=pl&urp=2&urm=3&pc=V2X%203N7&sprx=100

Versatile, AWD, comfortable, luxurious and above-average driving dynamics. It checks off all the boxes and more in what I would be looking for. Quite a rare model as well. Don't see many of them on the road.

Or maybe even an Audi Allroad. http://www.autotrader.ca/a/audi/allroad/burnaby/british%20columbia/5_36875130_ct200555115233706/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ursrc=fl&pc=V2X%203N7&sprx=100

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:09:37 am by marcus_go »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 12:09:32 am »
I'd not discount any of the Volvo wagons either, particularly "R" models. The T5 engines make good power, the T6 engines make great power.

Look nice, tons of performance.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:17:19 am by rrocket »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 12:40:30 am »
I'd not discount any of the Volvo wagons either, particularly "R" models. The T5 engines make good power, the T6 engines make great power.

Look nice, tons of performance.

I didnt want to come off as too Swede or Italian or bust, but yeah...if you want a wagon with performance, Volvo at least should be on your radar. I loved the Volvos I have driven, and some can even be had with a stick shift.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:44 pm »
There are lots of pretty sweet wagon options if you're willing to give up the manual transmission.

Is the buick tourx coming to Canada? Might stretch your budget though.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile

ltruong

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 02:39:09 pm »
I don’t think you can get the alltrack in manual as it’s only one trim.  I would say GTI or sportwagen comfortine with driver assist package.

Or if manual can be a compromise Venza limited V6? Plenty of power, reliable, regular gas, spacious.  Might not be as premium as Audi or Volvo but it’s nice.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:43:12 pm by wongpong »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 02:58:43 pm »
I don’t think you can get the alltrack in manual as it’s only one trim.  I would say GTI or sportwagen comfortine with driver assist package.

Or if manual can be a compromise Venza limited V6? Plenty of power, reliable, regular gas, spacious.  Might not be as premium as Audi or Volvo but it’s nice.

Or VW for that matter...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 03:40:48 pm »

You must have missed the review this week of a manual VW Alltrack.  You can get the sportwagen in any trim level with a manual and AWD.  It really is and oddity in this marketplace.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 08:25:32 pm »
I'll leave that here for you ;)

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/expert/20170531/test-drive-2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-autobahn/

About mid-point between a Golf and a GTI, performance-wise, is the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron. The automated manual is mandatory, and I have no idea if it's easy for you to plug in, but my annual km is similar to yours and my lifetime avg is 2.4 l/100 km. The car is the exact same size as a Mk VII Golf.

The GTI is a hoot to drive though...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 09:27:04 pm »
2018 GTI Autobahn looks like a sweet package. Recent Motormouth review: https://youtu.be/3peW47i9-Xk

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 09:54:33 pm »
Didn't have too much time this weekend for test driving but managed to look at a GTI w/DSG and an Alltrack DSG. Dealer had no stock of any manual Alltracks. Quite surprised at number of Rs that dealers are stocking. Regular GTIs seem far and few between.

So far, my initial impressions are leaning towards the Alltrack. I think the added room and AWD over the GTI is a no brainer. I feel as though I would outgrown the GTI and be wanting for something with more room. Can easily slide my bike in the back until I get rack attachments and the two level load floor is very useful.

The drop in power of the Alltrack was not as much as I thought and the DSG does wonders to keep the engine working in its sweet spot. I'm curious as to what the manual will drive like. Just have to find a dealer that has some stock and also compare to the regular Sportwagen, although when fully optioned, the step up to the Alltrack isn't that much more.

My ideal combination is going to be a manual Alltrack with the light and driver assist packages. Surprised by the absence of a heated steering wheel or power trunk at this price but I guess you can't have everything. Fully kitted out it is definitely not cheap by any means but definitely a very attractive and well though out package. I could see myself owning it for the long-term.

Going to look at a few BMW wagons and maybe a used Allroad to have something to compare to. Haven't been able to find any Volvo R products to compare to. Not a lot of used T6 XC70s around and I think they will be too big for my needs.

Thought of looking at a used Tiguan or a comparable CUV but the cookie cutter CUV craze doesn't interest me all. A manual AWD wagon is definitely a unique option.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 11:37:42 pm »
Going to look at a few BMW wagons and maybe a used Allroad to have something to compare to. Haven't been able to find any Volvo R products to compare to. Not a lot of used T6 XC70s around and I think they will be too big for my needs.

Not stickshift but I think you want the V60 T6 if you're cross shopping a Alltrack DSG.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 12:55:31 am »
Didn't have too much time this weekend for test driving but managed to look at a GTI w/DSG and an Alltrack DSG. Dealer had no stock of any manual Alltracks. Quite surprised at number of Rs that dealers are stocking. Regular GTIs seem far and few between.

So far, my initial impressions are leaning towards the Alltrack. I think the added room and AWD over the GTI is a no brainer. I feel as though I would outgrown the GTI and be wanting for something with more room. Can easily slide my bike in the back until I get rack attachments and the two level load floor is very useful.

The drop in power of the Alltrack was not as much as I thought and the DSG does wonders to keep the engine working in its sweet spot. I'm curious as to what the manual will drive like. Just have to find a dealer that has some stock and also compare to the regular Sportwagen, although when fully optioned, the step up to the Alltrack isn't that much more.

My ideal combination is going to be a manual Alltrack with the light and driver assist packages. Surprised by the absence of a heated steering wheel or power trunk at this price but I guess you can't have everything. Fully kitted out it is definitely not cheap by any means but definitely a very attractive and well though out package. I could see myself owning it for the long-term.

Thought of looking at a used Tiguan or a comparable CUV but the cookie cutter CUV craze doesn't interest me all. A manual AWD wagon is definitely a unique option.

T6 XC70 is a boat. A fast highway cruiser.