Author Topic: Need expert advice on spot cleaning bird poop off car  (Read 1720 times)

Offline John

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-709
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota
Need expert advice on spot cleaning bird poop off car
« on: May 03, 2021, 08:12:46 am »
I figure that for this question, I've come to the right place!

So there was a dive-bomb again to the roof of my lovely one-year old Toyota.

If I don't want to give the car a complete wash, what's a good, quick and effective way to clean the poop off without leaving a residue and without scratching the car?

The last time this happened I sprayed water on the dried poop with a spray bottle to soften it up and then kind of sponged it up with a container of water but after it dried I could see a faint residue which didn't go away until it rained. 

Ah...life's problems.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Need expert advice on spot cleaning bird poop off car
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 11:10:57 am »
Don't lick it or you risk contracting bird flu.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:47:33 am »
Just a bit of car wash soap and water.  Then rinse it with water after and it'll be gone.  Bird poop is some bad stuff and can really do a number on a paint job if left for a long period of time.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 12:02:29 pm »
I left the garage doors open yesterday as I was in and out all day, somehow got a big splatter of bird crap on the middle of the hood of the 911 which is parked inside.  A bird must have spent some time in the rafters, I didn't see anything.  :P
Mr Pickypants

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 01:33:06 pm »
I left the garage doors open yesterday as I was in and out all day, somehow got a big splatter of bird crap on the middle of the hood of the 911 which is parked inside.  A bird must have spent some time in the rafters, I didn't see anything.  :P

Robins are building nests right now and crapping everywhere.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 02:16:09 pm »
Be happy that cows can't fly.

Offline John

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-709
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 05:05:29 am »
I figure that for this question, I've come to the right place!

So there was a dive-bomb again to the roof of my lovely one-year old Toyota.

If I don't want to give the car a complete wash, what's a good, quick and effective way to clean the poop off without leaving a residue and without scratching the car?

The last time this happened I sprayed water on the dried poop with a spray bottle to soften it up and then kind of sponged it up with a container of water but after it dried I could see a faint residue which didn't go away until it rained. 

Ah...life's problems.....

I use PoorBoys Bird Sh!t Remover. I ordered from Eshine.ca, quite a few years ago, so a little goes a long way. Went on site to see if I could find it, but no luck. Went through 41 pages of exterior care products, so here is a link below that will at least show you what the product looks like
The first thing I did when I got the product was get a smaller bottle along with a sprayer that turns the liquid into foam. I find the attached sprayer just dispenses in liquid form and runs off to quickly. Depending on the type or bird dropping, I just spray the foam on top of the bird poop and let sit anywhere from 10 seconds to 3O seconds and wipe off with a soft cloth. If the poop as baked on, it may take a second application.  For vertical surfaces, I spray above the poop and let the foam lower itself over the poop, putting the soft cloth about an inch below and then when the foam reaches the cloth, just wipe upward.

The advantage of pouring the product into the smaller bottle, with the foaming dispenser, is that you can carry it in the trunk of your vehicle along with the cleaning cloth, so you don't have to wait until you get home to get rid of the poop.

https://poorboysworld.com/bird-sh-t-remover-16oz-w-sprayer.html

Thanks!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 03:33:42 pm »
First, I'd top coat the paint with some super slick shine enhancer. I like Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish. That way, the next time you get poop it's easier to come off.

Without washing the car, you can use Optimum No Rinse as a quick detailer. Or some other quick detailer.

Or use a more specialized product. Like PoorBoys. I use PoorBoys Bug Squash.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...