Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 824211 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2240 on: May 22, 2017, 06:38:31 pm »
Have to agree a bit with ChaosphereIX.  I agree that Aliens 2, Terminator 2, and the Predator are all great sci fi action movies.  Blade Runner is great as well, but not the same genre.  But you can't forget to add the Star Wars (not going to rate them) series to the one of the best sci fi action movies. 

Even from the trailer of Alien Covenant you can tell how it can't live up to the first two Alien movies. 

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:18 am »
The Fifth Element is the most fun sci fi action movie.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2242 on: May 23, 2017, 10:29:07 am »
 :iagree:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2243 on: May 23, 2017, 11:36:56 am »
Finally got around to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yesterday with my kids... didn't disappoint at all, really enjoyed it as did my 14 & 11yr olds  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2244 on: May 23, 2017, 01:42:08 pm »
The Fifth Element is the most fun sci fi action movie.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

MULTIPASS!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2245 on: May 23, 2017, 01:43:34 pm »
After the letdown of Alien Covenant, I am almost afraid to go see the Bladerunner sequel.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2246 on: May 23, 2017, 01:52:20 pm »
I just don't care about all to these prequel/sequel/reboots of classic movies. Invariably, they end up disappointing if not downright insulting to the originals.

Also J.J. Abrams should be drawn, quartered, burned at the stake and the remains shot into the Sun .
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2247 on: May 23, 2017, 02:33:41 pm »
I just don't care about all to these prequel/sequel/reboots of classic movies. Invariably, they end up disappointing if not downright insulting to the originals.

Agreed 100%.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2248 on: May 23, 2017, 05:18:04 pm »
yeah how about Hollywood come up with an original idea for once?

The historical epic genre could always do with more movies...but that is just my bias.

What about an Oscar-bait title such as "Trafalgar" or "Vimy" or "Hastings" - you know, stealing from history. Dunkirk will be excellent, because of Nolan, but history has so many ways to captivate us on the screen...just pick something.

I still say an epic based off of the campaign of Trafalgar would be excellent. Visual effects, cinematography, and acting Oscars for sure.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: May 23, 2017, 06:03:52 pm »
. Dunkirk will be excellent, because of Nolan, but history has so

Easy there.  He's had his number of turds.  Including a slew of rather unoriginal sequels...the very thing you were just complaining about.   ::)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: May 23, 2017, 06:13:25 pm »

Easy there.  He's had his number of turds.  Including a slew of rather unoriginal sequels...the very thing you were just complaining about.   ::)

he is one of the better directors out there, and has nearly Spielberg-esque talent for camera work. I have faith he will do an excellent job with Dunkirk.

A slew of sequels? Unoriginal? He made a trilogy of Batman movies...that is it. A tight trilogy that didnt get endless sequels and reboots like Hollywood likes to do.

Admit it, he is one of the better directors out there today. Most of his directorial work is excellent. Memento, The Prestige, Inception, Interstellar...all great.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2251 on: May 23, 2017, 06:17:22 pm »
I'm looking forward to Dunkirk, I sure hope it will be good.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: May 23, 2017, 06:23:50 pm »

he is one of the better directors out there, and has nearly Spielberg-esque talent for camera work. I have faith he will do an excellent job with Dunkirk.

A slew of sequels? Unoriginal? He made a trilogy of Batman movies...that is it. A tight trilogy that didnt get endless sequels and reboots like Hollywood likes to do.

Admit it, he is one of the better directors out there today. Most of his directorial work is excellent. Memento, The Prestige, Inception, Interstellar...all great.

He also did a Superman.  4 movies, all rather unoriginal sequels/rehashes of the comic book story genre. Comic-book movies are some of the most unoriginal type of movies.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:13 pm »

He also did a Superman.  4 movies, all rather unoriginal sequels/rehashes of the comic book story genre. Comic-book movies are some of the most unoriginal type of movies.

he didnt direct it - he was a writer and producer...and from what I have read the final product was not really his vision either - I do not credit that disaster as his movie

His interpretation of the Batman saga was original and much needed after the Schumacher years...it is a disservice to the quality of that trilogy to call it unoriginal or rehash...he started the whole genre of "gritty, realistic" comic book movies that are everywhere now.

I am sorry, but there are much worse directors out there.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: May 23, 2017, 08:03:27 pm »

he didnt direct it - he was a writer and producer...and from what I have read the final product was not really his vision either - I do not credit that disaster as his movie

His interpretation of the Batman saga was original and much needed after the Schumacher years...it is a disservice to the quality of that trilogy to call it unoriginal or rehash...he started the whole genre of "gritty, realistic" comic book movies that are everywhere now.

I am sorry, but there are much worse directors out there.

Just because he was a writer, doesn't mean he can escape the credit for the movie.  I'm sorry..it's unoriginal.  It's a rehash of comic stories.

It's like calling the retro Mustangs and Camaros "original designs" because they are edgier than the original 60s cars.

And I agree.  There are worse directors out there....no doubt about it!  I was merely commenting that there's no guarantee a movie would be great merely because he's involved.  Although Dunkirk should be good...you'd really have to screw up what is essentially a re-telling of a historical event.  I also thought he was being silly by insisting that Dunkirk is "not a war film".  Ummm...OK.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:07:10 pm by rrocket »

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2255 on: May 23, 2017, 09:01:13 pm »
He's not credited as a writer, he developed the story.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:58 pm »

Also J.J. Abrams should be drawn, quartered, burned at the stake and the remains shot into the Sun .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pZekhEWCHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMkvnyLYU4

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: May 23, 2017, 09:23:35 pm »
He's not credited as a writer, he developed the story.

(Shrugs)

He's also credited as a "Producer" for the film.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: May 23, 2017, 09:55:32 pm »
Watched a movie on Netflix on the weekend called "Tank 432." I do believe that it may have been the worst movie I've ever seen. Spare yourselves.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2259 on: May 23, 2017, 10:02:26 pm »
Watched a movie on Netflix on the weekend called "Tank 432." I do believe that it may have been the worst movie I've ever seen. Spare yourselves.

Just checked IMDB and it's rated 3.2.....which I believe to be the lowest rated movie I've seen on there.  Thanks for the heads up, will certainly stay clear.   ;D
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing