Author Topic: Need Detailing Help? Come On In!  (Read 240883 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Detailing Help? Come On In!
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 11:33:52 pm »
Bordercity, how did you make out?

She looks as good as new after the hand wash.  Definately wasn't the water b/c I let it dry on its own and it looked good besides some water spots. 

The truck had a lot more mud on it than normal and it was on for over a week due to wet weather the last little while, so maybe it was due to the amount/type of mud and the length of time it was on the paint.  I'll have to try another pressure was soon and see if its as bad. 

Thanks for your help.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:29 am »
Good stuff, glad you got it shined up again.  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2010, 01:03:35 pm »
I've already done the wash clay bar plus 3 step Mcquire's (Cleaner, Polish Wax) process to the GTI.

I feel like I should do a second coat of wax though. Do I just wash the car again and do another coat of wax or should I be doing something else before the 2nd coat ?

Offline CanuckS2K

• View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 02:36:32 pm »
A typical wash/dry is all that is needed before you apply the second coat.  Also keep in mind that wax will only last about 4-6 weeks so you'll need to reapply often for continued paint protection. 

Offline BigSplash

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 10:02:58 pm »
Well......I received my Porter Cable 7424XP from eshine  ;D ;D ;D

Very nice machine easy to use.  I used the orange pad with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0.
Black car, 7 years old lots of swirls, light scratches and hazy spots, after hours and a very sore back...WOW!

My car almost looks like new, it is really incredible!

There are still some light swirls remaining, how would I go about trying to remove those, should I move up to a yellow pad?

I have some scuff marks in my windshield, is it possible to buff those out, or am I just asking for trouble?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:07:18 pm by BigSplash »
VW Golf

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 10:07:04 pm »

Very nice machine easy to use.  I used the orange pad with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0.
Black car, 7 years old lots of swirls, light scratches and hazy spots, after hours and a very sore back...WOW!

There are still some light swirls remaining, how would I go about trying to remove those, should I move up to a yellow pad?

NO!!  Yellow are a rougher cut!

You need to go to a lighter cut swirl remover (or a glaze) plus a lighter cut pad.  Either white or black.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BigSplash

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 10:10:07 pm »
I realize that the yellow is rougher, my logic being that if orange wasn't rough enough then try something more abrasive.  Or am I missing something  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2010, 10:12:17 pm »
I realize that the yellow is rougher, my logic being that if orange wasn't rough enough then try something more abrasive.  Or am I missing something  ::)

Ok..well it really depends on how deep/big the swirls are.  Is it possible you didn't work those areas long enough with the current set-up? It really depends how deep/bad they are.

Have you watched any videos on polishing?  There are some very good ones at Autogeek.

Offline CanuckS2K

• View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:58 am »

I have some scuff marks in my windshield, is it possible to buff those out, or am I just asking for trouble?

If you still have some light paint imperfections remaining, do another pass with the Wolfgang but use a white pad.  Are you using 6" or 4" pads?  The 4" pads are typically easier to control, offer better cutting, and are easier to manoeuvre in tight places. 

Btw, good stuff on picking up a PC.  IMO, the PC isn't a cost.......it's an investment!  :)

Keep me posted on how you make out.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:30 pm »
..are the VIDEOS in HD/3D and include Megan Fox???.................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline BigSplash

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 05:58:55 pm »
I am using 6.5" pads, I think I will give it another try after watching the videos, if only I had more time. ;D

What do you guys think of NuFinish, is that any good?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29:53 pm »
I am using 6.5" pads, I think I will give it another try after watching the videos, if only I had more time. ;D

NuFinish I do not like.  One of my favorite "off the shelf" waxes is Meguiars NXT 2.0

Offline CanuckS2K

• View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 08:14:51 pm »

If you ever get a chance, pick up a 3.5" backing plate for your PC and some 4" pads.  You'll notice a considerable difference.

Regarding NuFinish.......stay away.  With your Wolfgang, you have absolutely no need for Nufinish scratch doctor.  If you are looking at the NuFinish "polish", also don't waste your time.  I can't stand products like these that claim paint protection for a year.  It won't, period.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:18:42 pm by CanuckG35 »

Offline BigSplash

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »
I think I might try that Meguiars NXT 2.0.

It is starting to become a little obsessive, I find myself sneaking away from the wife and kiddies, into the garage cleaning this polishing that...I think I am in trouble  ;D

Offline BigSplash

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 05:42:05 pm »
How long do the Lake Country Pads last, when do I know that they are used up?
Can I wash them?

Offline CanuckS2K

• View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2010, 09:28:00 am »
How long do the Lake Country Pads last, when do I know that they are used up?
Can I wash them?

How long a pad lasts will vary depending on numerous things.  Cutting pad vs polish/finishing pad, how they are washed, temperature, etc.  With that said, you should get at least 5-6 details out of a pad.  I wash my pads with http://www.eshine.ca/snappy_clean_foam_pad_cleaner-1211.php?cat=28 and condition them periodically with http://www.eshine.ca/pinnacle_xmt_polishing_pad_conditioner_12oz-3274.php?cat=28.

I hope that helps.

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +6/-1
  • It's a good day when you laugh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2010, 01:34:03 pm »

NuFinish I do not like.  One of my favorite "off the shelf" waxes is Meguiars NXT 2.0

I've never used anything other than Nu-Finish. It does an excellent job of protecting. Two or three times a year seems to be all that's needed to keep the water beading.

Why don't you like it?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Suess

Offline CanuckS2K

• View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2010, 09:47:29 pm »

I've never used anything other than Nu-Finish. It does an excellent job of protecting. Two or three times a year seems to be all that's needed to keep the water beading.

Why don't you like it?

With all due respect, there is a reason why you can pick this stuff up for only $6 at Canadian Tire.  Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.  Unfortunately, Nu Finish is a bottom of the line OTC product amongst the detailing community.  I am not saying it doesn't fit the bill for the average Joe that wants a cheap paint protection, but don't be fooled by their advertising.  If you want a good quality paint protection that offers great durability, I would highly recommend a synthetic polymer sealant from Menzerna, Zaino, Chemical Guys, etc. 

Offline BigSplash

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2010, 10:18:16 pm »
Is there such a thingy as a brush that can be attached to the Porter Cable 7424XP, I am sure I have seen it, just can't find it anymore.
I would like to use it to give my carpets a good shampoo, to get rid of that "old car smell".

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +6/-1
  • It's a good day when you laugh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »

Why don't you like it?

With all due respect, there is a reason why you can pick this stuff up for only $6 at Canadian Tire.  Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.  Unfortunately, Nu Finish is a bottom of the line OTC product amongst the detailing community.  I am not saying it doesn't fit the bill for the average Joe that wants a cheap paint protection, but don't be fooled by their advertising.  If you want a good quality paint protection that offers great durability, I would highly recommend a synthetic polymer sealant from Menzerna, Zaino, Chemical Guys, etc. 

Hi and thanks for reply.

Where can I buy the products you mention? Are they just available online?

I don't only shop at Crappy Tire, also JB Automotive and Lordco. I've bought 303 for example and wasn't anymore impressed with that than similar products bought from CT.

Thanks........ :)