Author Topic: Polishers and Products  (Read 2696 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Polishers and Products
« on: June 10, 2021, 02:30:29 pm »
So...might get more traction here...and maybe this is a winner so it can end here.  For buffer/polishers...would I be making a mistake to look at getting this one?
Chemical Guys 8 pce - Cdn Tire

It's reg $255 and on sale starting to morrow for $179. 

Gotta be better than that Simoniz 8" right? (my dad has that, was trying to use it and the stupid slip on elastic ringed "pads" keep falling off.)

And if the Chemical Guys one is the buy of the week...any recs for what's best to remove swirls from black paint?  My (rich man's white - aka Pearl White) Fusion you can't really see anything...might not even wash it this year, and the truck is almost invisible too if it has any swirls...but the kids car is like a ringworm of death.  Cleans up and hides well with Black Hole, but I'd like to try paint correcting/buffing it out better. And then Black Hole it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Polishers and Products
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 06:00:16 pm »
So...might get more traction here...and maybe this is a winner so it can end here.  For buffer/polishers...would I be making a mistake to look at getting this one?

Gotta be better than that Simoniz 8" right? (my dad has that, was trying to use it and the stupid slip on elastic ringed "pads" keep falling off.)

And if the Chemical Guys one is the buy of the week...any recs for what's best to remove swirls from black paint?  My (rich man's white - aka Pearl White) Fusion you can't really see anything...might not even wash it this year, and the truck is almost invisible too if it has any swirls...but the kids car is like a ringworm of death.  Cleans up and hides well with Black Hole, but I'd like to try paint correcting/buffing it out better. And then Black Hole it.

That polisher is the real deal and of high quality.   I use another model from Torq.  The price is what you'd realistically pay for just that polisher.

For a newb like you, I'd highly recommend Lake County CCS Orange pads paired with HD Speed All in One (polish, wax, sealant).  Results will blow you away.  You can purchase those items here:

https://carzilla.ca/products/3d-products-hd-speed-all-in-one-polish-and-wax

https://carzilla.ca/products/lake-country-5-ccs-foam-pad?_pos=4&_sid=acc26ab20&_ss=r                             
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:04:23 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 09:06:23 am »
Thanks! And good to know it's not a POS.  I'm hoping to pick one up this weekend, maybe I'll practice on the Sonic first...give the old girl a good shine.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 12:12:45 pm »

That polisher is the real deal and of high quality.   I use another model from Torq.  The price is what you'd realistically pay for just that polisher.

For a newb like you, I'd highly recommend Lake County CCS Orange pads paired with HD Speed All in One (polish, wax, sealant).  Results will blow you away.  You can purchase those items here:

https://carzilla.ca/products/3d-products-hd-speed-all-in-one-polish-and-wax

https://carzilla.ca/products/lake-country-5-ccs-foam-pad?_pos=4&_sid=acc26ab20&_ss=r                             

Thanks for the reco, picked up my set today and will try it out in the Odyssey. First timer so any tips appreciated.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 04:44:31 pm »
Can't wait to see results.

Did you buy an All in One product or just what came with the polisher?

There's always good tips on Youtube.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 04:48:14 pm by rrocket »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 05:37:09 pm »

Just whatever came with the polisher. But I think that’s good enough as I practice on the Odyssey. And yes I watched a few of their YouTube tutorials. Wish me luck!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 09:11:21 pm »

Just whatever came with the polisher. But I think that’s good enough as I practice on the Odyssey. And yes I watched a few of their YouTube tutorials. Wish me luck!
I will not wish you luck, as luck is for the unprepared. :)

I think you'll do just fine...with a quality buffer and the right product, outstanding results are easier than you think.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 09:27:28 pm »

I think you'll do just fine...with a quality buffer and the right product, outstanding results are easier than you think.

Thanks and you’re correct about preparation. I’ll try and remember to take some before and after pictures.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 10:20:07 pm »

Thanks and you’re correct about preparation. I’ll try and remember to take some before and after pictures.
Oh..I'd suggest doing a test panel to determine how many passes you need to get the results you want.

For me personally and the product I use it's only 3 passes.

3 passes for me is: Vertical, Horizontal, Vertical (or vice versa)

You may need more depending on the cut of the pad and compound/polish.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 10:42:19 pm »

Oh..I'd suggest doing a test panel to determine how many passes you need to get the results you want.

Ok thanks. I’ll be super conservative as well especially when just learning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 03:16:33 am »

Ok thanks. I’ll be super conservative as well especially when just learning.
Yea you're pretty unlikely to hurt the paint.

Learning the product (how long it takes the abrasives to dissipate), how well the pad cuts, etc. And then the type of finish you're after. If you can do what you need in 3 passes, no point in doing 5.

So it's as much for efficiency as it is getting the most from the products.

Oh..use a really bright flashlight to shine it into the paint...easy to see friends that way.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 08:53:19 am »
I had wanted to try it on my kids car being it's black and all...and remembered I had already done the ceramic coating on it so it's probably a moot point this year.

Then I washed it for him this weekend (because I can't stand looking at it dirty and he was working on the farm) and it has all the hydrophobic properties of a wet towel.  Say what!  >:( I thought this stuff was supposed to be good for 2-3 yrs!?

No doubt I did something wrong...like waxing/polishing it with Black Hole...I could've sworn I read somewhere it was OK to apply wax over ceramic and now I see that this product says not too. So that probably didn't help - even then, the wax isn't doing its job either.  Maybe it's because I washed it with Turtle Wax soap??  Who knows...it appears it's not working and I can probably start from scratch on the thing.  Will try just the stuff that came with the Cdn Tire kit though...should be good enough for his car.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 05:29:35 pm »
Glossy :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 08:00:57 pm »
It sure is!

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 09:48:33 pm »
Wow, that’s some shine!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 12:09:10 am »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 05:37:18 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants