Author Topic: White paint has yellowed  (Read 5453 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: White paint has yellowed
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 01:05:13 pm »
I'll never buy another white car, at least not one that will be winter driven.  :P
White is easy compared to any dark coloured car
The salt blends in  :rofl2:

I'll take a black vehicle again any day over a white one.

Agreed.  I had the misfortune of owning a white car.  Every scratch, every speck of rust showed up in a really obvious way.  I said, not white, not ever again!

The specks of iron in the spring is the worst.   :P

Yeah rust specks in spring are a pain. I have use this Autoglym Magma with good success. I wait for sale and stock up. It turns all contaminants purple (which is a bit of a gimmick) but it seems to work for me. Wash car, spray it on, wait a few minutes and wash off.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autoglym-magma-0396166p.html#srp

Yeah, i've posted pics of my Lexus in here somewhere after spraying that stuff on and the purple run-off.  Even after two sprays of that stuff I still have to use a clay bar to get it off completely. 

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2021, 01:26:19 pm »
I'll never buy another white car, at least not one that will be winter driven.  :P
White is easy compared to any dark coloured car
The salt blends in  :rofl2:

I'll take a black vehicle again any day over a white one.

Agreed.  I had the misfortune of owning a white car.  Every scratch, every speck of rust showed up in a really obvious way.  I said, not white, not ever again!

The specks of iron in the spring is the worst.   :P

Yeah rust specks in spring are a pain. I have use this Autoglym Magma with good success. I wait for sale and stock up. It turns all contaminants purple (which is a bit of a gimmick) but it seems to work for me. Wash car, spray it on, wait a few minutes and wash off.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autoglym-magma-0396166p.html#srp

Yeah, i've posted pics of my Lexus in here somewhere after spraying that stuff on and the purple run-off.  Even after two sprays of that stuff I still have to use a clay bar to get it off completely.

My experience is that once it reacts and turns purple you cannot just hose it off. You have to really go at it with a wash mitt to properly release the particles from the paint. Then hose the car down.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 08:16:35 am »
I have a good news (make that GREAT news) update on my problem with paint on panels not matching years after an accident repair was done.

Since posting I had tried to attack the panels with rubbing compound to bring color difference between panels back in line. It did nothing. So I took a different route to try and get my problem fixed.

As I went to a repair shop recommended by the insurance company the repair was guaranteed for life. I had a couple other issues with the repair so I called the place where I had it repaired. It was a BMW dealership. I was informed that they had changed ownership and name. They also no longer had a body shop. They told me to call my insurance company. I did just that. They sent out a rep to look at the car. There was no question they should repair the other couple issues but I was not sure about the paint color variation. The insurance rep seemed to agree it was not proper and would include it in his report. I was hopeful.

2 days later I got a call from the insurance company. They have agreed to do the complete repair. I am so frggin happy.  :banana: They are sending me to a shop they highly recommend. It is to go in on 17 May.

The repair is not minor as they will be repainting almost the whole side of the car. I still cannot believe this is happening.

While I was not happy with the quality of repair done by the BMW dealership I have been nothing but impressed with the insurance company Intact. They have been fantastic through the whole process.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:18:59 am by Slow_lane »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 08:57:50 am »
I have a good news (make that GREAT news) update on my problem with paint on panels not matching years after an accident repair was done.

Since posting I had tried to attack the panels with rubbing compound to bring color difference between panels back in line. It did nothing. So I took a different route to try and get my problem fixed.

As I went to a repair shop recommended by the insurance company the repair was guaranteed for life. I had a couple other issues with the repair so I called the place where I had it repaired. It was a BMW dealership. I was informed that they had changed ownership and name. They also no longer had a body shop. They told me to call my insurance company. I did just that. They sent out a rep to look at the car. There was no question they should repair the other couple issues but I was not sure about the paint color variation. The insurance rep seemed to agree it was not proper and would include it in his report. I was hopeful.

2 days later I got a call from the insurance company. They have agreed to do the complete repair. I am so frggin happy.  :banana: They are sending me to a shop they highly recommend. It is to go in on 17 May.

The repair is not minor as they will be repainting almost the whole side of the car. I still cannot believe this is happening.

While I was not happy with the quality of repair done by the BMW dealership I have been nothing but impressed with the insurance company Intact. They have been fantastic through the whole process.
And this right here is the reason why we pay so much in premiums...just kidding, that's great news man.  I love it when something good happens with regards to insurance.  Not many of us have had good experiences and this right here definitely falls into the good side.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2021, 03:46:27 pm »
Car was repaired as promised. Whole side of car was painted do deal with mismatched panels. Did pretty nice job and feel very lucky to have it re-done 8 years after initial repair. The insurance company "Intact" were simply fantastic. Their choice of body shops still leaves a little to be desired.

Just waxed it today so here is a shot of my newish 10 year old car.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 04:00:53 pm by Slow_lane »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2021, 06:22:16 pm »
Car was repaired as promised. Whole side of car was painted do deal with mismatched panels. Did pretty nice job and feel very lucky to have it re-done 8 years after initial repair. The insurance company "Intact" were simply fantastic. Their choice of body shops still leaves a little to be desired.

Amazing!  You must be very relieved.   

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2021, 05:28:10 pm »

Amazing!  You must be very relieved.   

Yep. Relieved, happy and surprised they step up to plate and fixed it.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 05:50:01 pm »
Looks great!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline redmont

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 civic, '16 f150
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 02:17:54 am »

Awesome! It doesn't look like a 10 yr old car now.