Author Topic: White paint has yellowed  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
White paint has yellowed
« on: February 04, 2021, 01:20:34 pm »
Our 2011 BMW 328XI was accidented in early 2013. The front fender was replaced. The leading edge of front passenger door and rear passenger door were repainted. The car is Arctic white. The repair looked good for years (perfect match) but over past couple seasons I started noticing a variance between panels. By last fall it was quite noticeable and it drives me nuts as the car in otherwise mint condition.

What seem to have happened is the panels painted in 2013 are still arctic white but the original panels have become creamy or yellowed. They would look perfectly fine and the yellowing would be unnoticeable if they were not butting up to the painted panels. I find it funny that the panels painted in 2013 are not yellowing.

I am wondering if in the spring I used a rubbing compound on the yellowed panels if there is a chance I could bring them back to Artic White and matched the repaired panels.

I have Meguair's Ultimate Compound on hand. I also have Mother's clay bar kit.

Just FYI: I hand wax my car twice a year but have not clay bar it in years  (if ever).

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:29:11 pm by Slow_lane »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: White paint has yellowed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 01:32:53 pm »
The two years is probably enough of a difference. The 2013 panels are probably yellowing but it's at an early stage compared to the 2011 paint, which was actually probably painted in 2010.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:15:27 am »
So does anyone know of a way to remove yellowing and help restore the Arctic White back to it its previous white-ness??

I would love to balance out the color between the panels.

I attached a picture. The variance is hard to capture in pictures but you can see the yellowing on back half front door and how it compares to back door. It does not show but the same variance exists between back door and rear quarter panel. Much more evident in real life.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 12:49:34 pm by Slow_lane »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 12:18:15 pm »
If it's oxidization of the paint, you will have to repaint it. If it's oxidization of the clear coat, you may be able to polish that off.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 12:53:50 pm »
If it's oxidization of the paint, you will have to repaint it. If it's oxidization of the clear coat, you may be able to polish that off.

agreed.

i polished off the oxidation of clear coat on my merc. used orbital polisher and cutting compound.  if you do it by hand, it will take a while.

my white merc looked pretty yellowish for a while before i polished it off.

but if it's in fact yellowing paint, then probably nothing you can do short of repainitng the whole thing.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:04:05 pm »
If it were me, I’d be going to a detailer first to get their opinion and estimate before attempting anything on my own.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 01:05:47 pm »
Can't really offer a solution but made me think of our old Santa Fe which was a pearl white.  Early on I noticed the back bumper seemed to be a different color.  Thought I was going crazy until I mentioned it to the service guy at Hyundai and he told me that all of the back bumper on white Santa Fe's are a different color, they didn't do the pearl finish on it.  I always thought that was rather cheap of them but you really had to look to notice the difference.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 01:18:36 pm »
I'll never buy another white car, at least not one that will be winter driven.  :P 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 01:53:55 pm »
I'll never buy another white car, at least not one that will be winter driven.  :P
White is easy compared to any dark coloured car
The salt blends in  :rofl2:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 02:07:24 pm »

I'll take a black vehicle again any day over a white one.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 02:08:49 pm »

Are you on some kind of bad drugs  :rofl:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 02:19:47 pm »
If it were me, I’d be going to a detailer first to get their opinion and estimate before attempting anything on my own.
This, don't make it worse yourself. Time for the nuclear option

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 03:25:29 pm »

You lost me... What is the nuclear option? Torch it, Drive it into a wall, sell it..... ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 03:44:29 pm »

You lost me... What is the nuclear option? Torch it, Drive it into a wall, sell it..... ;D
Well, thats another option, " sorry allstate, it just fell off the bridge" lol. Nuclear option for me is the most expensive option that involves actual professionals instead of me watching YouTube videos.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 04:13:39 pm »

Well, thats another option, " sorry allstate, it just fell off the bridge" lol. Nuclear option for me is the most expensive option that involves actual professionals instead of me watching YouTube videos.

Thanks I get it now. :o  It might be nuclear for me (For a change) in this case. Let a pro attack the paint problem. Now I have to find a good detail place here in Montreal that I can trust with this project. I have a friend who had excellent detailing and paint care done on his car. I will ask him for details.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 04:30:08 pm »

No black for me.   I don't like white vehicles but white does lessen the load on the A/C in summer.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 05:03:42 pm »

No black for me.   I don't like white vehicles but white does lessen the load on the A/C in summer.

I have both a Black and a White car. The Black one is so hard to keep clean and shows any paint imperfection. My biggest beef with White one is when waxing it is hard to see where you have worked and at the end of the job it does not give you that feeling a of a deep shine in the paint like a darker color.It is just not a vary satisfying color to wax.  That said I think the BMW 328 looks good in white. But for next car I would like to change it up a bit. Get away from white, black or some shade of grey that is everywhere.

Sadly we generally do not get the color choices that the USA gets. Most times I am disappointed with color options.

Offline John

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-709
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 05:16:49 pm »

Agreed.  I had the misfortune of owning a white car.  Every scratch, every speck of rust showed up in a really obvious way.  I said, not white, not ever again!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 08:39:45 am »

Agreed.  I had the misfortune of owning a white car.  Every scratch, every speck of rust showed up in a really obvious way.  I said, not white, not ever again!

The specks of iron in the spring is the worst.   :P

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 10:10:39 am »

The specks of iron in the spring is the worst.   :P

Yeah rust specks in spring are a pain. I have use this Autoglym Magma with good success. I wait for sale and stock up. It turns all contaminants purple (which is a bit of a gimmick) but it seems to work for me. Wash car, spray it on, wait a few minutes and wash off.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autoglym-magma-0396166p.html#srp