Author Topic: Mazda late-model owners : TPMS experiences  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Mazda late-model owners : TPMS experiences
« on: August 03, 2023, 01:24:08 pm »
I'm busy scouring the web for 8 new wheels and tires.

The kiddo's CX-30 is the simple one. Stock alloys with tpms are heading into winter duty, new black alloys will get the oem 3-seasons.

CX-90 - Costco has a single Pirelli option in the stock size at $425 per tire  :fall: Significant savings to be had IF an 18" alloy will fit over the calipers. PMC has a nice RSSW wheel in 18" for $180, while the cheapest 19" option in grey is $250. 18" Blizzaks are $320 at Costco, and I'm planning ahead for the Labour day sale.

But on top of this, these two will be our 2nd and 3rd cars ever with in-tire tpms. On the Odyssey, all wheels had oem valves in the tires, but only the winter set was programmed. Light stayed on all summer long, no real bother.

Now with some vehicles, traction control can't be turned off if no signal from the tpms sensors. Kiddo will be ok with the oem wheels, but CX-90 is getting an aftermarket kit for snow duty.

So the $500 / seasonal headache question: to tpms or not to tpms?

If a cheap learning tool exists, that solves part of the issue if the Mazdas can't remember two sets of four valves.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Mazda late-model owners : TPMS experiences
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 01:26:17 pm »
Lexus only wanted like $50-60 per sensor and they program themselves as you drive, it was a really easy decision. I would just bite the bullet and do, buy once, cry once.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 01:29:24 pm »
The RX sensors were pretty cheap, but they do need to be programmed every change. I use Carista and buy a $10.00 monthly subscription spring and fall to do it

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 02:07:39 pm »
Does the TPMS give you a readout for each wheel? If so, I would absolutely pay the money to have it.

Just took over a company truck yesterday for a 700 km drive, half of which was on gravel in the middle of nowhere. LF tire was showing 10 psi low and previous driver figured it had a slow leak. No time to have it looked at, so pumped it up and hoped for the best (I did have a 12V compressor, patch kit, and checked to make sure the spare was good.)

Anyway, monitored the tire pressure the whole way and it didn’t lose any air at all. Made for a much less stressful drive.

Got the same system on the Yukon and I wouldn’t do without it. Sensors are maybe $40 each and seem to last around 10 years at least. Dealer doesn’t even charge for the programming, and no need for an appointment: just stop by and the guy comes out with the tool. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

If Mazda is anything similar, I say just do it. Kinda sucks that we don’t get the TPMS on the Crosstreks up here.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 02:24:44 pm »
Just had a chat with PMC Tire. Did not know they're based here in QC!

And boy do they know their stuff!

Agent (Katherine) sent me direct fit options in 18" for the CX-90 that come with a guaranteed fit, and they endorsed the 255/60R18 109 alternate tire size that I figured out through a tire comparo website. The ideal pairing would be 245/65R18, but no snow tire exists in that size. TPMS is $208/4 and comes already programmed for my car. 10% off 'till Aug. 9th is not Costco's 20%, but free mounting/balancing and shipping compensates.

So I will ponder all that and dig into what info I can pull from the sensors. Most imports only have that one idiot light, while domestics - as posted above - give out detailed readings.

Edit: some wheels shown by their website were not listed as compatible at the agent's end - she took note and will correct the search engine.

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 03:01:16 pm »
it depends if a dim light will bother you me it doesnt for the last 4 years
in the Mazda you dont need to program them every time i do my tire change and after driving a few km they adjust by themselfs
in the old Cx-5 you had to push a reset button bit not in the 3
in March 2019 i didnt buy them because it was a new type and only available by the dealer at a cost of 120$ per TPMS

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 03:40:00 pm »
and if you count on the TPMS giving you the exact tire pressure it wont i will give you some examples
when you start the car and go to the menu its going to give you your last drive reading not until you drive a few meter till they reset
and the reading is very variable to the temp i saw as low as 30 and as high as 42 and my tires are at 36 all round
so you need to always check them manually,i do it every month
they are perfect only for a slow leak or a major failure

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 03:45:15 pm »
Just had a chat with PMC Tire. Did not know they're based here in QC!

And boy do they know their stuff!

Agent (Katherine) sent me direct fit options in 18" for the CX-90 that come with a guaranteed fit, and they endorsed the 255/60R18 109 alternate tire size that I figured out through a tire comparo website. The ideal pairing would be 245/65R18, but no snow tire exists in that size. TPMS is $208/4 and comes already programmed for my car. 10% off 'till Aug. 9th is not Costco's 20%, but free mounting/balancing and shipping compensates.

So I will ponder all that and dig into what info I can pull from the sensors. Most imports only have that one idiot light, while domestics - as posted above - give out detailed readings.

Edit: some wheels shown by their website were not listed as compatible at the agent's end - she took note and will correct the search engine.

I've had experience with PMC.  They sent me tires that were a guarantee fitment but did not.  It took me forever to get them to take the tires / wheels back and full refund.  I don't think this is the norm, however.  These were large oversized performance Brembos so I am thinking in the case of the Mazda, you have a much larger range of fitment.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 04:35:09 pm »
and if you count on the TPMS giving you the exact tire pressure it wont i will give you some examples
when you start the car and go to the menu its going to give you your last drive reading not until you drive a few meter till they reset
and the reading is very variable to the temp i saw as low as 30 and as high as 42 and my tires are at 36 all round
so you need to always check them manually,i do it every month
they are perfect only for a slow leak or a major failure

That’s likely accurate. Tires heat up as you drive and the pressure increases. Ambient temperature will also change the pressure. If you set your tires to 36 psi cold in your driveway on a 10 degree day, they could easily go down to 30 psi at minus 20 or 30.

Same thing in the opposite direction on a warmer day or after driving on the highway.

Maybe Mazda’s system really is crap, but the TPMS I’ve experienced on other vehicles seems quite accurate.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 05:45:08 pm »

...but the TPMS I’ve experienced on other vehicles seems quite accurate.

Same experience here with my Volt, individual tire pressure reading are pretty right on.
I bought a cheap TPMS tool from Amazon because summer & winter set both have TPMS.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 08:43:59 pm »
Timely topic. I am setting my new CX-5 up with a set of winter wheels and tires. I was going to skip getting TPMS valves and just live with having the dash light on all winter.

My reasons are:
- I am cheap.  :-[  Been spending money ever since I bought the CX-5. Tag Installation, all weather mats, rust proofing, alloy wheels and soon winter tires. My wallet is smokin!!!
- The TMPS system in CX-5 is pretty basic. Does not give tire pressure read-outs. It is just an idiot light on dash. Ironically our little 2015 Fiat 500 displays pressure in each tire.
- Worried buying them and then having them fail.
- I check my air pressure pretty regularly and drove for decades with-out TPMS.

If I was going to get them I was considering this set on Amazon. Not sure if $117 is a good price or not.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09KGNP9V3/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ATNAB3DSAELL7&th=1
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 10:42:27 pm by Slow_lane »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 11:11:08 am »
One way to do it is to have your TPMS sensors cloned. That is get a set of autel mx-1 sensors or a cheap alternative, and have them programmed to transmit the codes of you original sensors. No need to mess with the car's computer in this case. Just "read" the existing sensors and then program the new ones with identical codes. Oh, and you will need an autel programmer of course.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 12:26:16 pm »
One way to do it is to have your TPMS sensors cloned. That is get a set of autel mx-1 sensors or a cheap alternative, and have them programmed to transmit the codes of you original sensors. No need to mess with the car's computer in this case. Just "read" the existing sensors and then program the new ones with identical codes. Oh, and you will need an autel programmer of course.

It seems the Mazda CX-5 will recognize the new sensors after 15 minutes of driving. There is a simple procedure to do before driving but it sounds simple. So switching between summer and winter sets should be relatively painless.

Now for me to decide if I go for sensors or not... Hummmmmmm????

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 12:34:17 pm »

It seems the Mazda CX-5 will recognize the new sensors after 15 minutes of driving. There is a simple procedure to do before driving but it sounds simple. So switching between summer and winter sets should be relatively painless.

Now for me to decide if I go for sensors or not... Hummmmmmm????

I suppose that would have to be model specific Mazda OEM sensors for the ECU to see them. For my car such things cost $60 a pop, at least, plus tax.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 01:17:47 pm »
I would probably just bite the bullet and get the sensors even though they are simple with no specific tire pressure readings. It would annoy me to have that light on all the time when running the winter set, especially on a brand new car. Not like you are going to be replacing them again for awhile. TPMS sensors should last around 10 years. Also, some TPMS systems are tied into the traction/stability control systems. I know on some Hondas that you could not disable traction control if the TPMS warning light is on. Not sure if Mazda is the same. If they are the self-learning type then that is even better.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 03:19:49 pm »
^^^ Plus, there is a safety benefit, let's say in a situation when a tire starts loosing pressure on a highway. Gives you time to get off the road and find a safe spot to use a spare.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2023, 02:42:52 pm »
So here's my plan.

As I mentioned, oem size for the CX-90 PHEV is 265/55R19, also an oem M-B size with M-B prices ($425/tire at Costco, before rebates). 19" wheels are $250+ also.

Going -1 with 18's is a bit sketchy due to the lack of knowledge on this new application. But -1 gives access to more tire options. Typical Mazda, all three oem fitments (18, 19 and 21") have non-matching tire sizes. So I can't use the base GS' 255/60R18. Doing the math on a tire diameter comparator renders 265/60R18 to match my 265/55R19's diameter. Same thread, but more sidewall.

The CX-90 MHEV comes with 18" wheels, but even the dealer has no idea if the calipers are larger on the PHEV. PMC Tire guarantees the fit, so they'll take the bullet if the wheels don't fit. Quattro/Pneusàrabais does not offer 18" fitments for my car, so no guarantee.

I like the DTD Blizzard. It's an "oem direct fit", is narrower at 7.5" so more curb rash protection. PMC has it at $196, but Quattro sells it at $169 and PMC matches prices. Win-win.

Tires now. My go-to is always Blizzak, my avoid at all costs is Michelin. However, the DM-V2 Blizzak for SUVs is so-so from presser experience - it rendered a Subaru skittish in the snow... Love the WS-90, but that ill pairing stayed in my mind.

Lately, Pirelli snows have always been great, from daughter's Accent to an X3. Blizzak is $325, Pirelli Ice Zero is $287. So I think I'll go with the Italians.

As for tpms, with all the tech in this thing I will bite the bullet and get them.

Entire kit mounted and balanced "free" and shipped to my door, also "free".

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2023, 02:52:30 pm »
So what are you getting for TPMS sensors, factory OEMs?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2023, 03:17:41 pm »

No, these things, sold and installed by most tire places: Max Sensor - SELECT PRO Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Rubber Valve × 4

They are programmed for the vehicle prior to shipping. At about $50 each, they are a fraction of the price of the oems. Hopefully, no seasonal "learning" will be required.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2023, 04:03:28 pm »

No, these things, sold and installed by most tire places: Max Sensor - SELECT PRO Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Rubber Valve × 4

They are programmed for the vehicle prior to shipping. At about $50 each, they are a fraction of the price of the oems. Hopefully, no seasonal "learning" will be required.

I could be wrong but I think these type of sensors can be programmed from the car's ECU stored codes or from the codes of the car's original sensors. Either way they would have to have your car present. A VIN won't be much help.
If tires are purchased with installation then the shop can handle everything on the spot. If shipped though, then.. who knows.