Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Infiniti JX  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Infiniti JX
« on: September 20, 2012, 06:08:40 am »

As seven-seat crossovers go, the new Infiniti JX is an attractive deal. In some ways, though, you get what you pay for.

Read More...

markierant

Re: Test Drive: 2013 Infiniti JX
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:44 am »
No comment/mention on the CVT tranny, cmon...  I'm actually looking potentially at this as my next family hauler, the CVT will probably be a deal breaker.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:40 am »
No comment/mention on the CVT tranny, cmon...  I'm actually looking potentially at this as my next family hauler, the CVT will probably be a deal breaker.

My friend bought one after having a second child.. he needs the third row for his frequent trips with his parents.
He hated the power coming from A5, but he said the CVT isn't much of an issue.  I personally think it should have G37's engine with more power to move the thing when it's loaded with passengers and their belongings.

Maybe they'll bring out JX37 or JX45 next year. :)

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:59:05 am »

As seven-seat crossovers go, the new Infiniti JX is an attractive deal. In some ways, though, you get what you pay for.

Read More...

I seriously looked at the JX, but found similar issues to what you've described in terms of seat configuration, Chris. I liked the styling, it has a great level of amenities, yet found the engine/CVT to be insufficient (even the dealer I talked to wondered why they didn't use the 3.7l or include an 8 cylinder. In the end, I've now got an Ford Explorer Sport on order, which I felt was comparable in amenities yet has a better ability to accommodate a mixture of passengers and cargo - and it was somewhat cheaper because of the employee pricing that can be exploited. Hopefully, the Explorer will be reliable despite what Consumer Reports has been saying.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:10:35 am »
Again and again I'm listening from Canadian auto journalist about "The U.S. EPA’s more realistic test methods"...Isn't it time you, as a media leading factors, to try influencing Natural Resources Canada so our less realistic standards to be changed?

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:11:17 am »
I've seen a couple of these now and am surprised at how large they are. Nice looking crossover and pretty reasonably priced. I'm also surprised at how light they are 4,300 pounds? That's within 300 pounds of the Berlin taxi...

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:41:59 am »
I was looking for this one for quite some time. And finally I had the possibility to sit in one last week. Well.... the third row seat is useless or can be used for kids under 8 years old only. And with 3rd row seat used, there is no cargo space, or quite limited in fact. Looks up scale on the inside,  but not as much as an Audi Q7, which is a direct competitor. So I'm disappointed. Maybe next time. For now I'm still convinced that none of these 3 row seaters can beat a minivan for everything in fact.
Bombastic

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 11:43:38 am »
I was looking for this one for quite some time. And finally I had the possibility to sit in one last week. Well.... the third row seat is useless or can be used for kids under 8 years old only. And with 3rd row seat used, there is no cargo space, or quite limited in fact. Looks up scale on the inside,  but not as much as an Audi Q7, which is a direct competitor. So I'm disappointed. Maybe next time. For now I'm still convinced that none of these 3 row seaters can beat a minivan for everything in fact.

For me, I would have looked further into minivans if they included 2 items: active cruise control and all-wheel drive. I agree that minivans are better people and cargo movers overall, but in the end it's a compromise because no manufacturer produces exactly what I'd like (and the Mercedes R-Class has now been discontinued and was a LOT more money).  There's a balance between amenities and price, and when the price hits the stratosphere, it just simply doesn't make sense because you become more worried about scratching/damaging the car as opposed to using it.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »
For me, I would have looked further into minivans if they included 2 items: active cruise control and all-wheel drive. I agree that minivans are better people and cargo movers overall, but in the end it's a compromise because no manufacturer produces exactly what I'd like (and the Mercedes R-Class has now been discontinued and was a LOT more money).  There's a balance between amenities and price, and when the price hits the stratosphere, it just simply doesn't make sense because you become more worried about scratching/damaging the car as opposed to using it.

Did they discontinue offering awd in the Sienna?

Offline johnnyboy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 08n highlander hybrid, 13 Corolla LE,14 suzuki boulevard 800 11 burgman 650
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »
both features available in sienna limited

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 12:47:10 pm »

Did they discontinue offering awd in the Sienna?

No, you're correct - they're the only one to offer it nowadays. I thought I had checked it before, but obviously I'm a bit blind given it's clearly on the Toyota Sienna's website page....

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 12:59:39 pm »
both features available in sienna limited
I don't see the adaptive cruise control mentioned anywhere - neither on the website, nor the brochure. Is this a new feature for 2013?  It certainly wasn't there on the 2012s and the dealer I went to had said no...The only place I now see it mentioned is at cars.com

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 01:24:35 pm »
Tazcubed: For me, I would have looked further into minivans if they included 2 items: active cruise control and all-wheel drive.
I don't think any of mentioned things will be a deal breaker for 99% of car owners. Why they are so important for you in a minivan?

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:10 pm »
Tazcubed: For me, I would have looked further into minivans if they included 2 items: active cruise control and all-wheel drive.
I don't think any of mentioned things will be a deal breaker for 99% of car owners. Why they are so important for you in a minivan?
I do a fair bit of traveling both long and short trips. I find that going around Toronto makes using regular cruise control pointless (even further afield, the highways are now getting so busy that I feel it negates regular cruise), and frankly I consider active cruise control to be an additional set of eyes in busy traffic (it's not about being lazy, it's about extra protection especially with young kids). All wheel drive I prefer - I've driven all configurations (front, rear and all) and I like the additional traction. I'm one who buys winter tires, but occasionally take it north onto back roads that aren't necessarily cleared off, so it's useful.

Offline dimych

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: altima
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 09:52:48 pm »
heavy vehicle that was not intended to do battle with performance-minded crossovers like the Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5 (neither of which has three-row seating, incidentally).

BMW X5 has been offering 3-rd row seating as an option for a few years now...

nsmyhte

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »
Its an ok vehicle but it doesn't move the bar at all. Apart from the kink in the rear windows, its pretty plain as well.  Not bad first a first try but thats as close to a compliment that this thing's going to get from me.