Author Topic: 2021 Nissan 400Z  (Read 70716 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: 2021 Nissan 400Z
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 08:49:32 am »
I have to agree that Nissan really needs this to be good.  Other than the GT-R there isn't really much excitement from their product range.  I just hope this Z isn't too expensive as I feel like the Supra is priced too high for what you get.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 10:18:07 am »
So uh, where is the GT-R in that ad? Is it implying it's being killed off or is it saying it's not gonna be updated for a little while?
I have to agree that Nissan really needs this to be good.  Other than the GT-R there isn't really much excitement from their product range.  I just hope this Z isn't too expensive as I feel like the Supra is priced too high for what you get.
If you want value, just get American. Nothing else will beat American ponies when it comes to bang for the buck.

Curious how this will stack up, though. Would like to see one in person in the near future. I am not really a Nissan fan but this still looks nice.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2020, 10:33:52 am »
So uh, where is the GT-R in that ad? Is it implying it's being killed off or is it saying it's not gonna be updated for a little while?
If you want value, just get American. Nothing else will beat American ponies when it comes to bang for the buck.

Curious how this will stack up, though. Would like to see one in person in the near future. I am not really a Nissan fan but this still looks nice.
I tend to think at the $30K price point the Nissan 370Z offers the most performance for your dollars, but at the $40K mark no one beats the Americans.  Would be nice if the new Z competed with the Americans in both performance and price.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2020, 10:43:37 am »

Not every purchase is driven by the desire to obtain maximum horsepower for the dollar.  It's why cars like the Miata still exist.  And why the Supra exists again (sort of).  Not to mention the whole world of hot hatches.  Pony car isn't the only solution to the fun-to-drive toy equation.  I'm pretty glad there will continue to be an additional alternative in the Z.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2020, 10:59:20 am »
from the limited views we have the new Z, i think it actually looks quite good.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2020, 10:59:59 am »
I think headlights are the hardest thing to get right on a retro design. Especially with pedestrian safety standards. The Challenger did well on this point.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2020, 11:56:21 am »

I tend to think at the $30K price point the Nissan 370Z offers the most performance for your dollars, but at the $40K mark no one beats the Americans.  Would be nice if the new Z competed with the Americans in both performance and price.

That's true, though some people might complain that the new Z is less friendly for people looking at that price range. Oh well, can't make everyone happy.

I am also very curious about the interior. It has been Nissan's weak point historically.

Not every purchase is driven by the desire to obtain maximum horsepower for the dollar.  It's why cars like the Miata still exist.  And why the Supra exists again (sort of).  Not to mention the whole world of hot hatches.  Pony car isn't the only solution to the fun-to-drive toy equation.  I'm pretty glad there will continue to be an additional alternative in the Z.

Well, the comment I was quoting sure sounds like performance per buck.

To give Japanese credit, Miata is a convertible which naturally adds cost, and being lightweight also isn't cheap. This is on top of the craftsmanship you get on these made in Japan cars. I sat in a Miata before and it feels well made and even a little luxurious. American cars are pretty sloppily put together in comparison and I don't get that luxury feel, so there is that. Mazda also looks good, especially in the Soul Red colour.

Hot hatches are kind of a different area IMO. Their practicality alone can make a world of difference.

But yes, competition is always good and we as customers benefit from it.

Edit: now that you mentioned Miata, am I the only one thinking the new Z's front looks a bit like the ND?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:04:52 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2020, 12:53:07 pm »

This.

I remember sitting in the fifth gen Camaro and thinking, no matter how powerful or cheap I could never live with this interior. Sixth gen is way nicer.  But as Roger says, I would prefer a lower powered car if it came with a nicer interior or better handling. There are many trade offs.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2020, 12:53:56 am »
I think many folks want high performance with efficiency, style, decent fit and finish, and a car they can see out of.

Well, I didn't say Camaro specifically if you want to complain about visibility. Just said American.

Besides, 370Z has some complaints about rear visibility. Just saying.

Uh, interior quality?  Not sure GM is at the top of the game there either....

At least it doesn't look dated. 370Z interior was totally fine when it came out. I owned cars from that era(late 00s) and they all are like that. For a modern vehicle, though, the millions of buttons in the centre console just look busy and unnecessary. Leave the climate control, audio volume and favourites/presets as physical buttons, toss everything else in the iPad. I don't touch any of the other audio crap 99.9% of the time anyway, and with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, I don't imagine many others do, either.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2020, 07:30:35 am »
Can't tell much from the video, but the front end looks better to me than a lot of the renderings, and at least it's confirmed!

https://youtu.be/aiqOLRJi7nU

Loving the profile!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2020, 07:36:58 am »
I think many folks want high performance with efficiency, style, decent fit and finish, and a car they can see out of.

Well, I didn't say Camaro specifically if you want to complain about visibility. Just said American.

At least it doesn't look dated. 370Z interior was totally fine when it came out. I owned cars from that era(late 00s) and they all are like that. For a modern vehicle, though, the millions of buttons in the centre console just look busy and unnecessary. Leave the climate control, audio volume and favourites/presets as physical buttons, toss everything else in the iPad. I don't touch any of the other audio crap 99.9% of the time anyway, and with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, I don't imagine many others do, either.

Well, we're discussing the 400z - and nobody knows what that interior will look like.  There is precisely zero chance that Nissan will recycle the old (and yes, very dated) 370z interior so that's a pretty meaningless reference point.  I wouldn't say interiors are a notable weakness among contemporary Nissans any more so than a great many mainstream brands. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2020, 07:54:06 am »
Noticeably absent is the GT-R.
My guess is the next commercial will have it fill in the middle slot.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2020, 10:09:46 am »
Railton
the GT-R is too fast...it already crossed the finish line 48 seconds before...it basically lapped everything else they sell.  ;D

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2020, 10:15:56 am »
Railton
the GT-R is too fast...it already crossed the finish line 48 seconds before...it basically lapped everything else they sell.  ;D
Ahhh....good point.
Railton

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2020, 11:22:51 am »
Railton

Doesn't the video feature upcoming new vehicles only?  The GT-R may not have any planned updates.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2020, 01:05:03 pm »

Well, we're discussing the 400z - and nobody knows what that interior will look like.  There is precisely zero chance that Nissan will recycle the old (and yes, very dated) 370z interior so that's a pretty meaningless reference point.  I wouldn't say interiors are a notable weakness among contemporary Nissans any more so than a great many mainstream brands.

If Nissan has a competent interior in their other cars, then I can't imagine it being too bad in the new Z.

That said, I recall seeing a Nissan Sentra Spec V on display once, and man, just looking at that interior from the outside, it's not good. That manual trans shift knob looks like it's out of a 90s car. Of course, I haven't sat in other Nissan cars so I don't know how their other cars are, so we will have to wait and see.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2020, 01:49:48 pm »
I hope they produce a NA engine version as well. Something equivalent to the 370Z, that you can wind up to redline and appreciate the process. So I'm really not interested in a torque monster twin turbo with piped in sound.

The current 370Z shell doesn't do it for me, but if the new Z has more retro lines, then I may be interested. I had a 240Z and a 280Z, and have always thought about getting another Z. But if the new one is a bloated fraud, then I'd prefer to spend $40,000 for an original on BAT than $40,000 for a new one..

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2020, 01:57:54 pm »
while not likely,  a nice long nosed sleek new Z would be great...throw in an inline 6 (nod to the past) and call it a day...and make it $35k (or whatever a V6 Mustang sold for)...the old Z cars used to be pretty affordable, no reason they can't make them like that again...they don't all have to be Ferrari fighters for $125k.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2020, 02:07:24 pm »
ya and don't forget the 14 inch wheels and 185 mm tires.  :P

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2020, 02:19:48 pm »
while not likely,  a nice long nosed sleek new Z would be great...throw in an inline 6 (nod to the past) and call it a day...and make it $35k (or whatever a V6 Mustang sold for)...the old Z cars used to be pretty affordable, no reason they can't make them like that again...they don't all have to be Ferrari fighters for $125k.

Or something +/- in line with 2022 Toyota GR86 (except 2.4T) ?
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...