Author Topic: Cheapest reliable car  (Read 10539 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: Cheapest reliable car
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 10:32:15 pm »
No..but that's true of any little hatchback econo car IMO.

Are you implying every sedan model are quieter than the hatchback one? (serious question)

Personally I've experienced the Corolla vs Matrix, and the corolla is definitely quieter.

I didn't notice as much of a difference in the focus (the family's 2013  focus is pretty reasonably quiet in highway situation)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2016, 11:06:40 pm »
No..but that's true of any little hatchback econo car IMO.

Are you implying every sedan model are quieter than the hatchback one? (serious question)

My experiences are that sedans are quieter than their hatchback/wagon equivalents.  Less echo, and less road noise from the rear wheel area.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 11:20:54 pm »
As the kid is going to live in Alberta next year, we're going to send her off in the Forester.  She will be close enough that if something happens to it, I can get there, and as well the ski hills she's looking at all have staff transport, so she could get to work.  The following year when she moves to BC, we're going to look for an AWD Vibe for her.  They're cheaper than their Toyota-branded counterparts (laughable, but true) and they're bullet-proof.  You can pick up a Vibe for a surprisingly good price.  Great value.  She also can really use the extra cargo space of the hatch.  They're decent on fuel, better by far than the Forester, but not near the Corolla - the Corolla is hard to beat unless you have a hybrid.

The Mazda 2 is a great idea - well made cars that are cheap in the used market.  They're small, but if space is enough, they're a good buy.

As noted in many posts, the Corolla is a fantastic car - but used prices aren't exactly bargains.  But, it is a case of "you get what you pay for..."

Honda makes good cars, but be careful buying a Civic - you want one from an old person.  Accords are usually owned by older, careful owners.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 03:24:12 pm »
generally, that is the rule... the trunk isolates the road noise from the rear... also, they tend to minimize extra cladding/padding in the back of hatches to increase cargo capacity. all that equals more noise.

another corolla bet here... there are some other great little cars now that are better built than previous gens (fiesta, etc.), but you'll also get newer tech that might be more problematic in the future. I'd stick with simple, no touchscreens, back-up cams, etc. and try to find one that has been as well kept as possible.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 03:38:14 pm »
Can't go wrong with a Corolla as everyone has said thus far. Civic will be more expensive to insure. If you want something a little more fun to drive & still cheap & reliable, look at the Mazda 3... MUCH more fun to drive than a Corolla! Cheap to insure still, decent fuel economy (not as good as a Corolla or Civic), cheap to repair, dirt cheap on the used market. Find one that has been rust-proofed yearly & you'll have a great car for years to come.
You live everyday. You only die once....