Author Topic: First Drive: 2018 Toyota C-HR  (Read 3855 times)

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Re: First Drive: 2018 Toyota C-HR
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 01:57:39 pm »
We are still waiting for a replacement for my wife's tall sitting 04 Vibe.  The Soul is too boxy, the Juke looks weird in the front, the iM and most other hatch backs are too low and thus hard to get in and out, the CX3 is too small, and the Honda ?? is, well, forgettable.  This C-HR might be just the thing.  It is futuristic looking with a definite cool factor, sits nice and tall, and is, as is the indestructible Vibe, a Toyota.  We shall wait a little longer and see how it fits.
i've been keeping an eye on the new Kia Niro and that actually seems quite nice...have you checked it out yet?

We haven't seen one yet, but it caught my attention when I first read a review on it.  We'll definitely check it out.  Seem to be running out of options here.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 02:13:14 pm »
I kinda like the teal with white roof.

I'm ok with the colour actually. It's the lumpy bumpy sheetmetal that I can't warm up to.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 02:39:13 pm »
We are still waiting for a replacement for my wife's tall sitting 04 Vibe.  The Soul is too boxy, the Juke looks weird in the front, the iM and most other hatch backs are too low and thus hard to get in and out, the CX3 is too small, and the Honda ?? is, well, forgettable.  This C-HR might be just the thing.  It is futuristic looking with a definite cool factor, sits nice and tall, and is, as is the indestructible Vibe, a Toyota.  We shall wait a little longer and see how it fits.
i've been keeping an eye on the new Kia Niro and that actually seems quite nice...have you checked it out yet?

We haven't seen one yet, but it caught my attention when I first read a review on it.  We'll definitely check it out.  Seem to be running out of options here.
the several reviews i have read seem to be quite positive, and the nice thing is the fuel economy is actually very good (easy to achieve rated numbers)...factor in the nice styling, decent pricing and excellent fuel economy, it seems to be a solid package...if i were in the market now, i'd consider it myself...while i love lots of HP as much as the next guy, i'd rarely use it and the Niro seems to have a decent amount of torque likely making it decent enough as a daily driver...the savings at the pump would be appreciated all the time.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 02:41:08 pm »

My guess is DOA.

I think this will sell well. Maybe even very well.

Sadly, consumer tastes keep moving towards CUV/SUV type things.

The limited amount that make it here will sell out even at 4.9%/60    Not even debatable.  :)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 12:38:43 am »

My guess is DOA.

The limited amount that make it here will sell out even at 4.9%/60    Not even debatable.  :)
I don't see how. The folks interested in this thing don't care how well it handles...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 01:40:48 am »

My guess is DOA.

I don't see how. The folks interested in this thing don't care how well it handles...
People said the same thing about the Lexus NX. And it's been doing pretty well.

I think this thing will sell. People like the CUV segment and trends are showing people moving away from sedans

I think CUVs are mostly dull looking. But this truck, Mazdas and the Juke offer something different in their own way..And each will have their fans
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:45:19 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 11:14:48 am »
My guess is DOA.

I don't see the Apple/Android as being huge problems so much as the hard to live with compromises in the name of styling.

My mother in law still loves her CX 3 and actually got a 2017 this week to replace her 2015 (must be nice to lease).  She's the only person I know who drives one that isn't bothered by the massive blind spots.

I have 3 files of drivers of CX3s who have hit pedestrians in Ottawa in the last year and a half (in part) because of the thick A pillars (and also because they didn't pay good enough attention to the road and their surroundings).

They all traded in theirs for other cars with better outward visibility.

Sorry No-san. I fail to see the logic of your point about Cx3 visibility in relation to this Toyota. If you look at the pictures you will see that the C-HR actually has very slim  A pillars and appears to have excellent outward visibility to the front. The second part of your sentence about not paying enough attention to the road and surroundings is a driver issue (applies to any vehicle) not a design issue.

From the article you will note that pedestrian detection and pre-collision braking is standard and if you order the Premium package you get blind spot monitoring and rear traffic alert as well.

"full-boat Toyota Safety Sense (TSS-P) that includes adaptive cruise with full stop, auto high-beams, pre-collision with pedestrian detection and lane-departure alert with steering correction."

I'm frankly enamored by this thing, as others in this class are generally too noisy and cramped for me as a 57 year old empty nester to consider. It appears to be quiet, comfortable, and have good handling. The heated cloth seats are better than leather for me as I park outdoors. Most manufacturers also charge much more for this level of safety. I'm looking at you, Hyundai. I'll be taking a very close look at this when it comes out and checking if a bike might even fit in the back with the seats down.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:51:36 am by sacrat »
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 10:09:54 pm »
My wife likes the looks of the Juke, but not the Nissan thing, so wants to look at this when it hits the dealer as she is pretty much a Toyota person. 
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 01:08:37 pm »
These are going to sell like crazy.

I just looked at the NX numbers and they did 2x what Toyota expected

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 03:49:05 pm »
Saw my first one today! Side note, I have not seen a CX-9 yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 04:15:51 pm »
"There are no plans for AWD"

Bummer.  What a great little car for a young outdoors person - a roof box for skis and poof, a super ski machine.  Toyota!  AWD!