Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS  (Read 14152 times)

Northernridge

Re: First Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 06:50:57 pm »
i think bmw has mastered this approach to optioning cars.  they have packages which are small enough, and focused enough, not to blow customers out of the showroom. you can also get individual options as well. if you are paying luxury prices you deserve to tailor it the way you want.  I remember walking into the lexus dealer and looking at their pricing and was blown away by how expensive the packages were.  there were three options i wanted and they were offered in 3 different packages.  it added up to around 12k dollars more! and then he told me the back seats don't fold down in the IS.   caddy needs to make the packages small enough so they don't force people out of the showroom.
Really if you a fold down seat get a suv orget thing delievered

Totally disagree.  Fold-down seats greatly increase the practicality of a sedan, enough that for some folks an SUV isn't needed.  Try getting 3 sets of skis (or golf clubs, in some cases) into a trunk without a fold-down seat.  Or in the case of my last ski/golf trip to Kelowna, 3 guys, 3 sets of golf clubs, 2 sets of skis, and a snowboard in an A4 sedan (with 6-speed M/T of course!)  BTW, spring skiing rocks - spring golfing, not so much...

Looks like the ATS only has a fold-down seat on the highest trim version of the 2.0 model (Premium, I think).  GRRRRR!

Bang on SSV. I fold down the seats in the Berlin taxi often for massive storage space...everything from large flip chart stands to hunting gear purchased on my many shopping junkets to Cabelas. Had a six foot level in the pass-through most recently. I didn't want to buy an SUV because of inferior driving dynamics compared to sedans. The folding seats give me all the utility I need. Anything bigger goes in the pickup. I would entertain a wagon but am a little afraid of flying cargo.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »
the ATS doesn't have fold down seats in the back accept for the top trim?  ugh.      (re: the lexus IS.  the salesperson told me that lexus refuses to make the IS with fold down seats because it reduces body rigidity and increases noise levels even though they get a lot of comments from dealerships telling them they lose many sales.)

FWIW, that's the same reason the Infiniti G doesn't have them either.  I could of benefited from fold down seats a number of times. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:35 pm »
The difference is everyone else  at least mention the caddy in their post , you just write about your beloved Kia, that is gods answer to every car  ::)
i never said the Kia was gods answer to every car...there are plenty of great cars out there...get over yourself already.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 02:10:26 am »
the ATS doesn't have fold down seats in the back accept for the top trim?  ugh.      (re: the lexus IS.  the salesperson told me that lexus refuses to make the IS with fold down seats because it reduces body rigidity and increases noise levels even though they get a lot of comments from dealerships telling them they lose many sales.)

FWIW, that's the same reason the Infiniti G doesn't have them either.  I could of benefited from fold down seats a number of times.

While the G sedan didn't, the G Coupe did have a fold down seat. It wasn't an essential feature for when I was shopping for a car, but I knew of it's benefits since my previous coupe also had them.  For moving long items, furniture, and tires, the fold down seat has been invaluable - I've used it more times than I can count.

Re the ATS, looks like a great package - I'm waiting for the specs on the ATS-V to come out...should be impressive.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 11:57:58 am »

Totally disagree.  Fold-down seats greatly increase the practicality of a sedan, enough that for some folks an SUV isn't needed.  Try getting 3 sets of skis (or golf clubs, in some cases) into a trunk without a fold-down seat.  Or in the case of my last ski/golf trip to Kelowna, 3 guys, 3 sets of golf clubs, 2 sets of skis, and a snowboard in an A4 sedan (with 6-speed M/T of course!)  BTW, spring skiing rocks - spring golfing, not so much...

Looks like the ATS only has a fold-down seat on the highest trim version of the 2.0 model (Premium, I think).  GRRRRR!

Honestly, people like you are the minority (in general).

Hey, I bought a manual-transmission quasi-wagon.  So yeah, I'm definitely in the minority!
OTOH, I also have an F150, and you can't get any more mainstream than that...

It will be interesting to see how much marketing support Caddy gives the new ATS.  It's certainly got a lot of attention in the auto press, but I wonder if GM will give it the sustained marketing push required for a new model launch (not just the initial splurge).  For Caddy's sake I hope they do, but it sounds like GM's marketing dept is a bit of a mess right now.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/07/gm-fires-marketing-chief-for-soccer-deal-then-signs-it/