Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2904876 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8340 on: February 18, 2018, 07:33:35 pm »
The bigger clip goes inside the hollow piston (the wider end) and the middle part of it clips over the edge of the pad.

I am not sure about the smaller clip though.

Those calipers do look almost identical to 3rd gen f-body units, which are also shared with S10s (all of them I think...)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:39:12 pm by Firm »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: February 18, 2018, 08:00:22 pm »

Got the big clip. It was quite stiff to go in so I appreciate the help. Thanks!

I'll take another look at the small one.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8342 on: February 18, 2018, 10:05:19 pm »
It's bugging me that I can't figure out that second clip....But here's an exploded view from an S10 shop manual, and I only see the big one.
My guess is that the smaller one is some sort of 'update'....The outter pads on these tend to have a bit of lateral play that results in rattling over slow speed sharp bumps. Some pad manufactures are worse than others...The Wagner TQs on my T/A do it pretty bad, the Raybestos Pro units on the Sonoma are tight. I am guessing this 'extra' clip goes somewhere to hold the outter pad tight. Maybe across the semi-circular opening on the face-side?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: February 18, 2018, 10:17:36 pm »
I'm sure its for the outer pad. I'll take another look tomorrow. Its too darn cold tonight. -23C. Ugh.

Offline carguy28

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mercedes Benz, Mazda, Nissan
« Reply #8344 on: February 20, 2018, 07:18:17 am »
Hey, I know it's a bit late in the game here b/c you probably already bought your catalytic converter, but I got mine at MufflerExpress.com ... best prices...  Hope this helps for anyone else needing one!!

Spent a little bit of $$$ on the Miata over the weekend.  It was in need of new shocks.  Koni has dropped prices, and there's a mail in rebate.  On Friday Goodwin Racing had free shipping on Koni's.  Bought a set of STR-T's and a set of Racing Beat street springs.   Also picked up the Hella H4 conversion.  I was about to order it from the US, then I found it on Amazon.ca to save a few $$$'s.  Just for fun I ordered the front lip from an R package Miata.  I always liked the look of it.

Still have to order a new catalytic converter.  Looks like Autopartsway.ca has the best price.  I'll check brake pads once I get it out and am rotating the tires.  One was squeaking last fall, so it may be time.

C'mon Spring!  Oh wait, it is Spring.  C'mon Spring like weather!!! ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8345 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:32 pm »
Had to say good bye to it  :'(

Despite being 11,5 years old, it drives better than a lot of new cars.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8346 on: February 20, 2018, 03:17:02 pm »
began the process of cancelling the Tesla Model 3

booked in the Saab for tomorrow to have its Takata airbag replaced, also to have its turbo looked at [might be going]

talked to my former manager at GM, beginning my shopping for a hybrid / really fuel efficient daily driver to replace the aging Saab. Volt is the front runner right now.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8347 on: February 20, 2018, 07:27:47 pm »

booked in the Saab for tomorrow to have its Takata airbag replaced, also to have its turbo looked at [might be going]

talked to my former manager at GM, beginning my shopping for a hybrid / really fuel efficient daily driver to replace the aging Saab. Volt is the front runner right now.

It's not like GM has a vast selection of hybrids.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: February 20, 2018, 09:15:56 pm »

that is why I said the shopping began with GM, it is going elsewhere too

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #8349 on: February 21, 2018, 01:27:06 am »

What about the Bolt?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8350 on: February 21, 2018, 08:25:09 am »
Odyssey got sold out from under me.  Still on the hunt for one, but just don't have time these days to drive very far to check them out.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: February 21, 2018, 10:06:49 am »

What about the Bolt?

No. It is ugly. Frumpy. Looks like a penalty box car. Volt looks much much better.

Plus, allocation is crazy on the Bolt. I would not get one even if I wanted one.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8352 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:41 pm »

What about the Bolt?

No. It is ugly. Frumpy. Looks like a penalty box car. Volt looks much much better.

Plus, allocation is crazy on the Bolt. I would not get one even if I wanted one.

The Volt is fine, as long as you don't plan to sit any adults back there.

Here's my review:

http://www.autohebdo.net/nouvelles/20170113/chevrolet-volt-2017-lelectron-libre/?lang=fr#KgZ8k7muZVTe50M2.97
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8353 on: February 21, 2018, 12:40:38 pm »

What about the Bolt?

If I needed one, and one was available, I would buy the Bolt.  Lot of "Ifs" though.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: February 21, 2018, 01:22:17 pm »

What about the Bolt?

The Volt is fine, as long as you don't plan to sit any adults back there.

Here's my review:

http://www.autohebdo.net/nouvelles/20170113/chevrolet-volt-2017-lelectron-libre/?lang=fr#KgZ8k7muZVTe50M2.97

Sat just fine in the back of mum Chaos' 2013. Tight on headroom but we were not driving cross country. I rarely have anyone but a dog in the back.

Also, sorry, dont read French too well. I am sure it is a well written piece.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:59:25 pm by ChaosphereIX »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8355 on: February 21, 2018, 02:00:56 pm »
finally did the Takata airbag recall on the Saab

yet another item on the catch-up after 3.5 years away list [wife doesn't do anything car related]

...THEN the Saab ran out of gas on the way home from some errands. It had only done about 280kms. Broken gas gauge [expensive fix] of course didnt warn of low gas. Usually get almost 600kms from a tank, even in winter. The car also stutters under heavy boost. I think one or more coil packs are going, or the turbo is going [car is starting to use oil, which is concerning].

so it has been an eventful day for the old Saab...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:15:38 pm by ChaosphereIX »

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8356 on: February 22, 2018, 12:35:24 am »
Got a lot of things done to both cars today.

Civic got a new airbag inflator under the takata recall.  Now I feel better about someone sitting in the passenger seat.
I also paid my new mechanic $40 cash for an oil change.  Not bad considering I got to work during the time while waiting in the shop.
Then, I brought in my MDX to get an electrical issue fixed.  The mirror adjustment, seat&mirror memory, lock/unlock buttons, power hatch button, and fuel door button weren't working.  I suspected wiring issue and it turned out that three wires in the harness between the driver door and main fuse box by the parking brake were disconnected.  The part was not that expensive, so the damage to the wallet was easier to take than I expected. 

Next up is hood strut replacement I'll do when the weather warms up.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: February 22, 2018, 02:33:57 am »
finally did the Takata airbag recall on the Saab

yet another item on the catch-up after 3.5 years away list [wife doesn't do anything car related]

...THEN the Saab ran out of gas on the way home from some errands. It had only done about 280kms. Broken gas gauge [expensive fix] of course didnt warn of low gas. Usually get almost 600kms from a tank, even in winter. The car also stutters under heavy boost. I think one or more coil packs are going, or the turbo is going [car is starting to use oil, which is concerning].

so it has been an eventful day for the old Saab...
Could also be a spark plug
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:57 am »
Those were just changed with last oil job

Changing them anyway

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8359 on: February 22, 2018, 01:00:02 pm »
Chaos, may I suggest leasing a base model diesel XE Jag for the next three years? Give time for the EV market to ramp up. The diesel will excell at your long commute. I only got 103 km out of an eGolf this winter, and that's with moderate urban highway use and warm parking during the day!

The little kitty fits your Alpha - SAAB "Euro yet different" tastes IMHO. A neighbor bought a base one, black on black. From my experience with the larger XF 2.0d, you should be able to get the lighter car in the fives on highway trips (my Golf TDI would go down to 4.1).