Author Topic: Omnibus Blu-ray Thread  (Read 311123 times)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
Re: Omnibus Blu-ray Thread
« Reply #1400 on: July 02, 2014, 07:59:46 pm »
It's official...the biggest home video announcement in fanboy history:

BATMAN!

(Official Warner Online video):

http://youtu.be/BTGAXBeYDcM

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:01:51 pm by Dexer »

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #1401 on: July 02, 2014, 11:48:45 pm »
^^^ Oh, yeah ... wasn't this the show that destroyed the Batman brand until Tim Burton reinvigorated it with the Batman movie in 1989? :shuffle: :stick:

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:45 am »
^^^ Oh, yeah ... wasn't this the show that destroyed the Batman brand until Tim Burton reinvigorated it with the Batman movie in 1989? :shuffle: :stick:

On the contrary, it was the TV show that saved the BATMAN franchise. The TV show WAS the franchise for more than 20 years and allowed Tim Burton to make a movie that WB could sell to a public hungry for more BATMAN. Burton and the revolving door of followers rode the coat-tails of the TV show. Ask people on the street, "Who played Batman?". Do you think they will answer Michael Keaton? Fat chance!

To this day, people still recognize the true Batman.

Ultimately, it's no different than asking, "Who is the Captain of The Enterprise". No matter how many $100 million Trek movies get made, nobody will answer "Patrick Stewart".

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 03, 2014, 09:43:01 am »
Well played, sir!  ;D

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 03, 2014, 01:46:58 pm »
Although BATMAN had a relatively brief run, it really was hugely influential and popular at the time.

In 1966, I was eight years old and my memories of watching the show are among the most vivid memories of childhood. I still have my plastic "BatScope" that you had to send away for (I think it was a cereal premium...collect a number of boxtops and so on).

The main thing about TV in this era is that it was truly owned by the big three American networks. Outside of the big cities, most people received two or three channels (Winnipeg had two English language stations). There weren't 100 channels; no home video and obviously no kind of way for people to see shows unless they sat and watched them.

As a result, even failing shows drew huge audience shares. A show could capture 30 % of all TV viewers and still get cancelled. When BATMAN found it's audience, it was not only BIG but it influenced other TV shows. BATMAN has always been cited as the reason that LOST IN SPACE went from serious in Season 1 to campy in Season 2 (not that I think that was a good thing...but it was the power of BATMAN).

For fans, BATMAN has remained the most elusive of all TV shows. There has NEVER been a legitimate home video release...never. Bootleg VHS and DVDs have been made. It has been mired in a legal quagmire of competing rights for years. Dozens of stars appeared as characters or in cameos. Music rights have been an issue (Lesley Gore sings "California Nights" iin one episode that is always cut in sydication). Many people thought it would never be seen on home video.

So, to have this remastered in HD and released on Blu-ray seems like an impossible dream come true.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 05, 2014, 02:56:23 am »
Having a hard time coughing up money to buy blus on the Internet these days. To discourage myself from buying in general, I'm asking myself the question "What do I want to watch tonight" before buying anything. That is a hard question to answer when it takes a week for the stuff to arrive!  :)

Ignoring the Barnes and Noble 50% off Criterion sale (with low shipping and no customs  :P :P), I went and ordered two iconic British series: series 1 of The Professionals and Regan - the pilot for The Sweeney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6V9B-DsZUY&list=PLpDVM21EEyIcl16rERFMigAHNOTi3NDUj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ebRTC6E7U

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:59 pm »

Well maybe old people.  That's about it.  Anyone not a kid in the 60s-70s may not have a clue.  I read a story that said Adam West is more famous and well known for his recurring role on Family Guy than he was for Batman. He's been Mayor Adam West since 2000....nearly 15 years now...far longer than his paltry Batman run.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Respen: Omnibus Blu-ray Thread
« Reply #1407 on: July 05, 2014, 09:07:16 pm »

Well maybe old people.  That's about it.  Anyone not a kid in the 60s-70s may not have a clue.  I read a story that said Adam West is more famous and well known for his recurring role on Family Guy than he was for Batman. He's been Mayor Adam West since 2000....nearly 15 years now...far longer than his paltry Batman run.

That's an idea that I don't think is especially meaningful.

Yes...at any given point, there may be a generation who recognizes a star for their role du jour but the real wellspring of their fame always endures.

The ONLY reason Adam West became "Mayor Adam West" is because he was Batman. His his bankability as a performer is based entirely on the high profile role from his high profile series Batman.

William Shatner spent 5 seasons as TJ Hooker...a longer time than he ever spent as James T. Kirk. More people watched TJ Hooker which was a more succesful show than Star Trek. But his bankabilty as a star does not derive from his portrayal of TJ Hooker. I'm sure the folks who picked him as Grand Marshall of the Calgary Stampede Parade didn't say, "Hey, let's get that Shakesperian actor who played a TV cop for 5 years".

When I was an adolescent, both Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart had TV shows. I'm sure there were kids who only knew Henry Fonda as Detective Sergeant Chad Smith. After all, he was Chad Smith for a lot longer than he was MR. ROBERTS. And millions more people saw him as Chad Smith than saw him as Tom Joad in THE GRAPES OF WRATH.

And, when those series ended, people soon forgot Sergeant Chad Smith and Professor James Howard (Jimmy Stewart). But they remembered why Fonda and Stewart were Hollywood legends.

When Adam West departs this world (and the guy is almost 86), Mayor Adam West will be a footnote. People will speak of Batman.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:08:51 pm by Dexer »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Respen: Omnibus Blu-ray Thread
« Reply #1408 on: July 06, 2014, 05:59:32 am »

The ONLY reason Adam West became "Mayor Adam West" is because he was Batman. His his bankability as a performer is based entirely on the high profile role from his high profile series Batman.

I disagree. He had zero bankability for a demographic who had no idea who he was. The creator knew who he was, obviously. But the target demographic? Mostly not.  Also, Seth McFarlane (creator) said he would never make West's character make a reference to Batman.

Also, he actually does a better "acting" job as Mayor West and is hysterical. Sure Batman was funny to an extent...but only because it was so terribly campy. Adam West is truly funny, comedic in Family Guy. He actually said he gets to be more of an actor on Family Guy and get to improvise and do "his own thing", something he never could on Batman. He gets more respect as an actor then he has for any previous roles he says.

He's always said he's been grateful for Family Guy because it allowed him to keep working since he was typecast after Batman.

Have you ever seen his role on Family Guy, Dex? Truly funny! 

Mayor West with his infamous Cat Launcher!!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:52:40 am by rrocket »

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 06, 2014, 11:37:37 am »
Thankfully, the cats are still alive.  :P :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX05r5tW9RI

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: July 06, 2014, 12:30:45 pm »
Keeping with the theme...

Here is Lesley Gore as one of Catwoman's helpers: the Pussycats.

This is something that I'm really wondering about for the Blu-ray release. This song has been very problematic because of the music rights. It's often left out of syndicated cuts of the show but at least somebody found it and posted it on youtube. Lesley Gore was a popular singer at the time and this song was released as a single. However, it wasn't written as part of the show. It just happened to be a convenient cross promotion. When the show was syndicated, it caused grief because the owners of the show weren't the owners of the song.

Problems of legal rights are the history of Batman on video...and the reason it has never been on home video before.

If Warner Brothers has cleared this performance for inclusion on the Blu-ray, they get an extra pat on the back:

http://youtu.be/0XoNF-fzYMw

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1411 on: July 06, 2014, 01:59:32 pm »
Speaking of old actors, watched R.E.D. on blu-ray last night. Hilarious! And the blu-ray really worked the new subwoofer setup. That machine gun sounded like it was in the same room.

Included a 93 year old Ernest Borgnine.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 06, 2014, 03:37:55 pm »
Got that everything is awesome movie.

Speaking of kids and Batman.  My kids watch that old Adam West Batman movie DVD every now and then.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1413 on: July 06, 2014, 04:29:27 pm »
Speaking of old actors, watched R.E.D. on blu-ray last night. Hilarious! And the blu-ray really worked the new subwoofer setup. That machine gun sounded like it was in the same room.

Included a 93 year old Ernest Borgnine.

I like John Malkovich.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 06, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »

Speaking of kids and Batman.  My kids watch that old Adam West Batman movie DVD every now and then.

The movie has been available on Blu-ray for many years and gets superb reviews. Blu-ray.com gave the video quality 4.5 out of 5 stars. It can easily be found for under $10.00.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 13, 2014, 05:37:17 pm »
Lots of deals at Best Buy and Future Shop just now.

Bought these from Best Buy for $5 each. :)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 13, 2014, 06:37:49 pm »
The number of good quality BDs for $5.00 is staggering. You could go broke saving money!

I picked up a disc at HMV today. I don't buy a whole lot in-store but this was a buck cheaper than amazon.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 02, 2014, 04:57:13 pm »
I've really neglected this thread. Truth is, my prostate has been occupying too much of my time...I'll be happy when it's gone :).

And I have some expensive boxsets ordered for later in the year so I've been holding back on some individual disc purchases. Nevertheless, there are some REALLY cool discs coming out.

One of the movies coming to Blu-ray is SHOCK WAVES. Shock Waves is a Nazi Zombie movie...perhaps the first Nazi Zombie movie (I don't know for sure). It has a special old-school terror that modern entries in the genre lack. I attribute this to the fact that, in 1977 when this movie was made, Nazis were not  ancient history. I'm 56 and, in 1977, there were millions of 56 year old men around who had actually fought the Nazis. Nazis had a real element of terror. Most film-makers today treat Nazis like any other fantasy monster.

This  is a very good horror movie with a very good cast. The concept may seem like pure schlock today but this movie has some first class talent delivering first class horror.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:15:29 pm by Dexer »

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 03, 2014, 12:27:33 pm »
I haven't been buying blu-rays recently - too many soundtrack CD sales these days.

I did buy these today. :)

$5

$10

$15

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 10, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »
I'm a bit late but a comment about CARRIE. One of the things that really appeals to me about CARRIE is that it was one of the last old school, supernatural thrillers. Shortly after CARRIE, the "slasher" pretty much took control of the horror film and quickly evolved into the supernatural with a series of seemingly immortal killers. I was a huge fan of the original HALLOWEEN but the series went off the rails when Michael Meyers became unkillable...just like Freddie, Jason et al. Carrie used supernatural elements in the story without using them as a blatant  scam to keep making more CARRIE movies. CARRIE stands alone.

Still a lot of catching up to do to get this thread revived. Lot's of neat things coming out.

Here's a pair of discs I just ordered: