Author Topic: 2014 X3 vs 2007 Highlander - What's Cheaper to Run?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 X3 vs 2007 Highlander - What's Cheaper to Run?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 12:47:08 pm »
The BMW is 10 years old and at 130,000 km so it is probably due for something to fail or go wrong in typical FGC fashion.

For what it is worth, a quick check indicates issues with the engine timing components, and transfer case failures. Hard pass. Keep the Highlander.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 12:50:54 pm by marcus_go »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 02:16:34 pm »
If you get the X3 for free, and preemptively service the timing chain maybe.  Otherwise, the 13-17 X3 with N20 engine (2.0T) are not good. Especially the first years - '13/'14.

Transfer case issues in general are with the actuator/motor not the transfer case itself. That one is replaceable but mind you is expensive on the X3 ($1,200+ the part alone).

Don't forget the water pump/thermostat which is a maintenance item on these, and it's also more expensive on X3 (about $800-$900 parts alone). You are approaching the mileage where it may go any time (roll of a dice).

You may know I like some BMWs, but I wouldn't buy one like that with my own money.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2024, 02:25:15 pm »
If you're happy with the Highlander and have no desire to upgrade, keep the Highlander. Offer to help sell the X3 with a seller's fee. Did they happen to get a trade in value for their X3?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2024, 02:55:07 pm »
Keep all 3 till the late fall and then decide.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2024, 03:56:00 pm »
The X3 is definitely not worth the squeeze, if it was something cool or sporty, sure, roll the dice, a german Rav4, naaah. Keep the Highlander, orrrrr, as someone suggested, trade them both in for a really nice Lexus RX.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2024, 08:01:07 pm »
The X3 is definitely not worth the squeeze, if it was something cool or sporty, sure, roll the dice, a german Rav4, naaah. Keep the Highlander, orrrrr, as someone suggested, trade them both in for a really nice Lexus RX.

Can't buy an RX here in Ontario or Quebec. You're pretty much asking to donate it to Africa or the Middle East.

I also didn't know that generation Highlander has full time AWD. I thought it was the usual slip'n grip system. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2024, 09:23:52 pm »
Yeah, it's basically 3 open differentials and a system that brakes individual wheels when they slip.  It's pretty capable.

The downside is that fuel economy is terrible, and I've never driven a vehicle with more resistance when you take your foot off the gas.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2024, 01:53:23 pm »

Can't buy an RX here in Ontario or Quebec. You're pretty much asking to donate it to Africa or the Middle East.

I also didn't know that generation Highlander has full time AWD. I thought it was the usual slip'n grip system.

I heard it was bad, but if you park the thing in a garage, even then its a problem?!? I could see if you park your swanky car on the street.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2024, 02:50:19 pm »

I heard it was bad, but if you park the thing in a garage, even then its a problem?!? I could see if you park your swanky car on the street.

Yes, unless you keep the door closed at all times and eventually chain it down. Not joking.... They tried to steal my neighbor's RX from the garage (door open) in the evening (around 8 PM) not even late at night, while he was in the house, lights on, etc....

He heard noise while the thief was in the garage peeling off the wheel liner. He open the door from the house and the thief ran to the waiting getaway car and took off....

Few others haven't been that lucky.... one other RX and a Tundra gone in 60 seconds (from the driveway)....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2024, 02:55:02 pm »
Holy :censor:!! Maybe its time for the cops to give owners the ok to put a few rounds into these degens. I think at tops 5 maybe get a bit of a lead repellent into them and I don't think this will be an issue anymore.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2024, 03:06:42 pm »
Glad it hasn't seemed to be an issue in Edmonton (can't speak for Calgary) or BC, yet.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2024, 03:22:44 pm »
Yeah, they go into the wiring behind the headlight and access the CANBUS system there. Apparently in the 2023 and on gen that system is encrypted

There was a bit of that going on in Edmonton. We used the fancy steering wheel lock when we were parking overnight in the street the last few weeks in BC as our 2017 would be vulnerable

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/6-lexus-suvs-stolen-in-edmonton-between-tuesday-and-wednesday-eps-1.6541906#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20Edmonton%20Police,models%20have%20also%20been%20targeted.

Online WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2024, 04:12:36 pm »
Glad it hasn't seemed to be an issue in Edmonton (can't speak for Calgary) or BC, yet.

Yeah it's an issue here in Calgary,  at least in my neighborhood.  Last week they left a stolen car right in front of our house.  Hyundai, looks like they damaged it too, the rear looked like it was in a wreck.  The cops came with the car owner and a towing.   Few houses down the street they stole 2 vehicles the same week, that was couple months ago.  Couple blocks down, they stole the wife's car off the driveway in the afternoon (toyota I think) and came back the very next morning and stole the husband's F150. 

A guy at hockey has a nice Ram TRX.  It's his wife's car but twice they tried to steal it.  Once they tried to take the key right off her hands in a parking lot but some good Samaritan helped out and the guy ran away.  The second time it was in the driveway and the husband was in the house, he ended up running to the truck fight the thug.  They had the truck started.   Now his wife doesn't want to drive the truck anymore as it's not safe. 

I got couple more stories like this.   We are probably not as bad as GTA but it's getting pretty bad.  I mean there's no repercussion at all.   Why would they make car harder to steal?  they are selling you a new one after anyway.  Cops don't care either.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2024, 05:14:19 pm »

Yeah it's an issue here in Calgary,  at least in my neighborhood.  Last week they left a stolen car right in front of our house.  Hyundai, looks like they damaged it too, the rear looked like it was in a wreck.  The cops came with the car owner and a towing.   Few houses down the street they stole 2 vehicles the same week, that was couple months ago.  Couple blocks down, they stole the wife's car off the driveway in the afternoon (toyota I think) and came back the very next morning and stole the husband's F150. 

A guy at hockey has a nice Ram TRX.  It's his wife's car but twice they tried to steal it.  Once they tried to take the key right off her hands in a parking lot but some good Samaritan helped out and the guy ran away.  The second time it was in the driveway and the husband was in the house, he ended up running to the truck fight the thug.  They had the truck started.   Now his wife doesn't want to drive the truck anymore as it's not safe. 

I got couple more stories like this.   We are probably not as bad as GTA but it's getting pretty bad.  I mean there's no repercussion at all.   Why would they make car harder to steal?  they are selling you a new one after anyway.  Cops don't care either.

How ironic!  Unsafe for all the wrong reasons. 

Friend of ours was in Washington DC a couple of weeks ago visiting a friend.  She stayed at a nice hotel downtown and was about to go out for her first venture when the concierge warned her that bringing her fancy bag was not a good idea as they are a hot item for the snatch-and-grabbers.  She took the advice and left with him to lock in the safe. 

Pretty :censor: up world these days!  :P

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2024, 11:11:56 pm »
3 dudes were arrested in Markham (affluent GTA suburb) for car jackings during daylight hours.

https://www.cp24.com/news/3-gta-men-charged-following-markham-carjacking-incidents-1.6878528

Online WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2024, 11:42:01 am »
Here's a reddit story.   there's many like this.  :rofl2:

Backed out of a Toyota financing deal due to insurance and higher price
Auto
Not sure if this belongs here but I've seen similar posts.

In July 2023, I put a $1,000 deposit for a Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid Limited with a dealership in the greater GTA. The MSRP was $61K (and 6.99% interest) and I was planning to finance over 60 months. I inquired with my insurance company and they quoted me $2,340 annually.

Fast forward to May 2024, the price now is $65K of the same vehicle although the interest rate is the same. The vehicle has still not arrived. I called my insurance company and they upped the premium to $6,972 annually!

That is a huge difference. Even though the car has not arrived still, but the price increase along with the insurance increase is crazy. I was now looking at roughly $2,000 per month on just this vehicle compared to about $1400 per month back in July 2023. Eff that.

$2k a month sounds insane to be spending on a vehicle. My insurance company said this car is being stolen so frequently that they are charging a hefty premium. I checked a few other companies and differences were marginal.

Canada's vehicle industry has gone to shits. I am now looking at used SUVs and it also boggles my mind that vehicles 2-3 years old have relatively high prices!!! I need to buy a horse. Are horses legal on Canadian roads and highways (joke, don't need to answer this)?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2024, 12:20:12 pm »

Auto

In July 2023, I put a $1,000 deposit for a Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid Limited with a dealership in the greater GTA. The MSRP was $61K (and 6.99% interest) and I was planning to finance over 60 months. I inquired with my insurance company and they quoted me $2,340 annually.

Fast forward to May 2024, the price now is $65K of the same vehicle although the interest rate is the same. The vehicle has still not arrived. I called my insurance company and they upped the premium to $6,972 annually!

That is a huge difference. Even though the car has not arrived still, but the price increase along with the insurance increase is crazy. I was now looking at roughly $2,000 per month on just this vehicle compared to about $1400 per month back in July 2023. Eff that.

$2k a month sounds insane to be spending on a vehicle. My insurance company said this car is being stolen so frequently that they are charging a hefty premium. I checked a few other companies and differences were marginal.

Canada's vehicle industry has gone to shits. I am now looking at used SUVs and it also boggles my mind that vehicles 2-3 years old have relatively high prices!!! I need to buy a horse. Are horses legal on Canadian roads and highways (joke, don't need to answer this)?

My old boss ordered a Highlander hybrid. It kept getting delayed and he was told he would get a newer model year but they would honour the price. Then his old Durango died and he picked up a cheap used CTS. This was two years ago. Drove by his house the other day and the CTS was still in the driveway with no Highlander to be seen.  ;D

Online WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2024, 12:24:25 pm »

Auto

My old boss ordered a Highlander hybrid. It kept getting delayed and he was told he would get a newer model year but they would honour the price. Then his old Durango died and he picked up a cheap used CTS. This was two years ago. Drove by his house the other day and the CTS was still in the driveway with no Highlander to be seen.  ;D

maybe That's him!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 06:26:32 pm »
So, it's a 2015 X3, which means it has the revised timing chain guide.

That might change the calculus.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:12:33 pm by tortoise »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 07:27:51 pm »
Buy and flip to Dante, upgrade to newer Highlander?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...