Author Topic: Oil change gone wrong!  (Read 37964 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Oil change gone wrong!
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 05:50:40 pm »
unfortunately, it's like an insurance claim.... a new engine won't help the resale of this car stay high... and most times a major component like that is replaced on a vehicle this early, other issues arise later on.

basically, it doesn't bring the car back to the position it was before the issue... which was a dealership mistake.

and yeah, AS, i said nissan, but i meant the dealership. nissan canada aren't the problem. the dealership made a mistake... it's not like it's a warranty issue.

now, the numbers... 20400... for a versa note? was that the final number for the car? plus taxes?.. no trade or anything in the deal? 13900 seems about right wholesale... but that isn't your problem. the dealership is going to lose money. they just need to figure out where they will lose it. thousands in the shop or thousands up front in sales. it was the shops fault, so they'll want to keep it back there... if you refuse that, it will be up the dealer principal/owner to come up with something to keep you happy.

if they get you a new versa at dead cost... have service kick in the 2-3 grand they deserve to lose... give 14000 for your trade... might only be 3 grand to start over... fight for a better deal of course, but if you don't want the issues with this car, might be the only real option.

tooscoops is right, fight for a better deal but go for a new car. I wouldnt want a brand new car with a replaced engine especially since you know that the service department is working on it doesn't like you and might drop a nut in the crankcase or forget to connect something.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 05:53:19 pm »
Probably not a bad idea to find somewhere else for servicing after get the new replacement car.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 05:58:53 pm »
Probably not a bad idea to find somewhere else for servicing after get the new replacement car.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 06:04:53 pm »
OK, good on you to post those work orders.

Technically and legally, your beef is with the Nissan Franchisee.  Some companies like Toyota, BMW, Honda, MB would be all over their franchisee essentially telling them to replace the motor or the vehicle, but not Nissan Canada.  Very poorly run Distributor and cheap as hell on good will claims.

Forget CAMVAP.  It's a useless pile of dung exactly as it was intended to be.
OMVIC will also be useless in this case. 

Your legal problem is you have no provable damages.  Indeed you have damage, but at this point it's invisible.

Marketplace is probably your best bet into shaming the Dealer and Nissan Canada into action, but that is a long shot and it is also too long a period of time.

Remedies

Trade it in and take a loss.  The $7000 you were quoted is ridiculous.

Drain the oil in a brand new oil pan, drive it hard and let it seize.  Replace oil with new funnel and don't spill a drop.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 06:12:50 pm »
Ouch. I think the damage was already done by the time all the warning lights came up, unless the red oil lamp was on?

Does the NVPP4A 84/80 refer to extended warranty?

So they tell us to bring it to the dealer for servicing to maintain warranty but in the end they don't honour said warranty. The reason we hire people to do things for us is 1. They can do it better based on training and experience, 2. We have someone to go after if something goes wrong. You should exercise #2. If #2 doesn't apply, I don't see the point of warranties and going in for servicing. Then there's no point in buying a new car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 06:15:06 pm »
Good 'ole Nissan "customer service" at its finest.  This is why they are thought of as the Chrysler of Japanese imports...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 06:17:14 pm »
Good 'ole Nissan "customer service" at its finest.  This is why they are thought of as the Chrysler of Japanese imports...

2nd Tier all the way and always will be.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 06:53:59 pm »
Ouch. I think the damage was already done by the time all the warning lights came up, unless the red oil lamp was on?

Does the NVPP4A 84/80 refer to extended warranty?

So they tell us to bring it to the dealer for servicing to maintain warranty but in the end they don't honour said warranty. The reason we hire people to do things for us is 1. They can do it better based on training and experience, 2. We have someone to go after if something goes wrong. You should exercise #2. If #2 doesn't apply, I don't see the point of warranties and going in for servicing. Then there's no point in buying a new car.

But is this actually a warranty issue? I have to agree with what was said about this being an issue with ONLY the dealer and not Nissan. Warranties don't cover abuse or stupidity so its up to the dealer to fix this on their dime.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 08:24:57 pm »

If they do the engine swap, make sure it has warranty coverage for at least the remaining duration of the OE warranty.

This is a very important point, as most dealer-done repairs are only covered for 12mos.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 09:01:52 pm »
Yeah it seems like a big deal getting a new engine.  But after doing a few swaps myself it seems like such a minor thing now.  Only issue is the a/c refill

Northernridge

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 09:15:04 pm »
What a sh!tty situation. It's not obvious to me how best to seek remedy. You could just keep driving the car at least until near the end of the warranty. If it squeaks before get it fixed under warranty and if not sell with a month of warranty left and put the whole thing behind you. I'm not sure how selling the car now helps you. Initiating a public attack on the dealership would be emotionally draining and won't actually help you anyhow.

I wonder if now that you're on record for driving without oil if a failure might be challenged by Nissan.

Did you tell us the dealership's name/location? Maybe it would make you feel a little better knowing that a few dozen enthusiasts know who the douchebag dealership is.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:38 pm »
I wonder if now that you're on record for driving without oil if a failure might be challenged by Nissan.

Quite possible.  They would then kick it back to the dealer, the dealer then turns and runs from it's obvious obligation.  The OP would then need to go thru the Ontario Small Claims process which in my opinion would be a slam dunk at first mediation.  However, this would require a super amount of effort, a place to store the Versa and access to another vehicle.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 09:28:02 pm »
Would threatening litigation help? 

That almost seems to be the only recourse left.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Northernridge

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 09:32:02 pm »
Would threatening litigation help? 

That almost seems to be the only recourse left.

I doubt a car dealership would blink at the threat...or the action. They'd call the bluff and make him start spending money. And, as someone pointed out they are no damages at this point.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:39 pm »

The remedy of a new engine is fair if it leaves you with appropriate warranty coverage. 

Neither do I see how an engine swap would somehow measurably harm resale.  This is not the same as a major collision repair.

Agreed

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 09:54:18 pm »
But something is not adding up here.  The OP's first post indicated that the dealer said there was no damage.  Then later it is revealed that the dealer offered to replace the engine with a new engine.

OH FOR FACK'S SAKE  :banghead:

I did not see that statement from the OP as he stuck it in a "quote" from Vmango.

Here's my revised opinion:  The OP deserves NOTHING and I sincerely hope he gets NOTHING!  Jesus Christ, how stupid can one be thinking that one can parley this incident into a brand new replacement.

:stfu: 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 11:10:09 pm »
They offered a new engine?!

TAKE IT. CASE CLOSED.

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Nissan Versa Note
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 05:39:21 am »
But something is not adding up here.  The OP's first post indicated that the dealer said there was no damage.  Then later it is revealed that the dealer offered to replace the engine with a new engine.

OH FOR FACK'S SAKE  :banghead:

I did not see that statement from the OP as he stuck it in a "quote" from Vmango.

Here's my revised opinion:  The OP deserves NOTHING and I sincerely hope he gets NOTHING!  Jesus Christ, how stupid can one be thinking that one can parley this incident into a brand new replacement.

:stfu:

New motor, tranny still effed up, floorboards still warped from overheating. Ya all it needs is a new motor

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 07:36:53 am »
Floor boards?  I thought it was a Nissan not a Morgan

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 07:39:49 am »
How does an engine being driven with no oil affect the transmission?