Author Topic: KIA cannot  (Read 2533 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
KIA cannot
« on: December 08, 2023, 12:38:17 pm »
My partner bought a 2019 Kia Soul this spring, 43,000km on the clock, loaded loaded loaded. Over the last couple of months, it's been developing a rattling/ticking noise. Went for an oil change and they figured it was a pin on the camshaft sensor so they ordered it. Brought the car back for the fix and they discovered that it wasn't just the camshaft sensor, the timing chain cover was damaged from the inside. They told us the vehicle would need a new engine, but we were likely going to get one under warranty, and we could safely drive the car until then.

After 24 hours of silence and me pestering them, they told us we wouldn't be getting the car back until after the new engine is in. Worse, a loaner is not available. It's been difficult dealing with one vehicle when we have three kids in activities plus a baby (sold the Fiesta early fall thinking we didn't need a 3rd car). Should I have pushed harder for a loaner or a covered rental?

I'm very aware of the issues with Hyundai and Kia's 4 cylinder GDI engines, she always wanted one. As for me, I might be car shopping this spring.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: KIA cannot
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 12:43:11 pm »
Unfortunate. It looks like this series of engines are garbage?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 01:09:53 pm »
Well, that sucks!

Hopefully they come through on the warranty

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 02:12:24 pm »
That totally blows - but I kinda doubt most manufacturers include loaner replacement as part of their standard warranty.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 04:27:02 pm »
Ugghhh, that so sucks buddy!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 04:29:18 pm »
That totally blows - but I kinda doubt most manufacturers include loaner replacement as part of their standard warranty.

https://www.hyundaiengineinfo.ca/

7. What do I do for transportation while my car is being repaired?
This procedure will be performed at no charge to the customer. If it is necessary to replace the engine, dealers will provide you with a free service loaner vehicle or Hyundai will provide a free rental car for your use while your vehicle is being repaired.

Dunno about Kia, should be the same thing
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 06:08:38 pm »

This procedure will be performed at no charge to the customer. If it is necessary to replace the engine, dealers will provide you with a free service loaner vehicle or Hyundai will provide a free rental car for your use while your vehicle is being repaired.

If it's a major warranty claim?

You should have a loaner.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 06:11:33 pm »

100% my thoughts, but when you have that many vehicles without engines rotting in the dealer, kinda hard to have loaners. I think a rental would be the way to go.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 06:19:03 pm »

This well-documented engine issue is a prime example of why this actually is *not* standard practice anymore. There simply aren't enough loaners to go around, the manufacturer often does not provide any financial support for loaners, there was a vehicle shortage in the last couple of years that prevented a plethora of mainstream 'fleet-able' vehicles from being available, etc.

My dad has a top-trim '23 S-Class; it had a warranty issue that required it to be at the dealer for a couple of weeks. No loaner, and that's Mercedes.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 06:31:57 pm »

My dad has a top-trim '23 S-Class; it had a warranty issue that required it to be at the dealer for a couple of weeks. No loaner, and that's Mercedes.

Already?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 06:50:58 pm »

This well-documented engine issue is a prime example of why this actually is *not* standard practice anymore. There simply aren't enough loaners to go around, the manufacturer often does not provide any financial support for loaners, there was a vehicle shortage in the last couple of years that prevented a plethora of mainstream 'fleet-able' vehicles from being available, etc.

and that is an S class....

It would be nice to pencil in a loaner provision in a purchase contract but likely that would go nowhere. If a manufacturer really wanted to stand behind their product how about a cash refund for every day the vehicle is out of service during the warranty period?  I would be uber pissed if I had a 3 year lease and my vehicle sat at a dealer for lets say 10 days during that period.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 07:52:44 pm »

Would that change if he would pay for service out of the pocket?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2023, 10:47:55 pm »

Would that change if he would pay for service out of the pocket?

Nope, because it’s the dealer’s discretion. When the store is a franchise, corporate cares very little to enforce anything that requires them to fork out any money themselves…

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 07:56:10 am »

Stop making sense.  ;D

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2023, 01:08:28 pm »
Couldn’t imagine how many loaners a dealer would need to keep in rotation in order to satisfy all the service customers who need one. The cost would be massive.

When I sold heavy trucks, often a government or municipal tender would require (pie in the sky ask) that the selling dealer provide a loaner unit within 24 hrs of a mechanical breakdown. Sure Mr Customer, we’ll keep a fleet of $900,000 vac trucks on hand in case one of the two you ordered break down! 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2023, 02:04:48 pm »
I always get a free loaner for warranty work or major service items, and when the dealer doesn't have one, they supply a rental car. Audi, VW, Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Mazda. Never had a need with the Subaru so far.

The 1.6 litre that used to be available in base-model Souls (Accent/Rio engine) is more reliable than the 2.0.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2023, 03:08:09 pm »
Yeah, VW set me up with a rental car once when the GTI was in the shop overnight for warranty work.

And a couple years ago the company I work for bought a new Silverado and the engine quit with like 5,000 km on the odo. Middle of Covid, so no parts available and the truck was out of service for a couple months.

Dunno if it was a loaner or a rental, but they gave us a Tahoe as a replacement until they got the Silverado fixed.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2023, 03:09:21 pm »
I always get a free loaner for warranty work or major service items, and when the dealer doesn't have one, they supply a rental car. Audi, VW, Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Mazda. Never had a need with the Subaru so far.

The 1.6 litre that used to be available in base-model Souls (Accent/Rio engine) is more reliable than the 2.0.

Yeah but you are a BSD of the auto world?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2023, 04:08:49 pm »

Yeah but you are a BSD of the auto world?

Yeah but the dealers don't know that  ;D

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2023, 11:37:27 pm »
My wife’s MX30 4 weeks ago on a Saturday started making strange noise during charging. We contacted service advisor who told us to bring the car to them in 5 days as they don’t have loaners, we explained that being EV my wife would not be able to drive it. Immediately called the Manager of the dealership and that evening he had a brand new (5km on odo) cx5. The issue is the water pump and they don’t have an ETA on a new part.