Author Topic: The downside to Insurance & Autobody under one roof  (Read 3426 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
The downside to Insurance & Autobody under one roof
« on: March 19, 2021, 11:26:10 am »
A recent (last 10 years lol) development here in Alberta has been  insurance companies integrating with auto body shops to create a one stop service centres. This is not a good situation for the unsuspecting consumer because now the insurance adjuster and shop are on the same side. For this reason I have always been suspicious of these setups and avoided them preferring to have any troubles fixed at an independent shop and let them haggle with the adjuster. This last week my suspicions were confirmed when I chanced taking the LR4 in to address some minor damage suffered due to a inattentive dumbass this past winter.  (ie. not on my dime)

Short story the wheel arch was replaced and painted and new clips added. Unfortunately they failed to properly fix the mud flap support (broken little support brace). When I pointed this out to the "service representative" I was greeted with a look of confusion. Hadn't I noticed how nicely they washed my car and applied copious amounts of wheel dressing to everything? I said thank you for the car wash but unfortunately you have failed to repair my vehicle properly. This complaint was obviously betond the technical comprehensive of my service representative and they went into crisis mode.

This set off a chain of events: Vehicle wicked away and after 10 minutes a gruff looking shop foreman appears giving my the stare down, looks like it's game on lol. His first step is to try to intimidate and make me feel ignorant on the ins/outs of vehicle repair. After I stood my ground and repeated that he wasn't talking to a clueless moron he changed tactic insisting there was no bracket in the first place. Pointing out the existing bracket on other side, missing bracket on repaired side and subsequent arch movement due to missing bracket  AND showing him photos of said broken bracket got him to admit that perhaps indeed there was a bracket. No $hit was my response.  I know what happened, after the repair they probably discovered that the bracket was only available by ordering the whole 4 wheel mud flap package form Land Rover. Seeing the cost of this they took the chance that the customer would not notice. I doubt 98% of the population would have noticed but they are dealing with a freak here.   In the end the bracket probably doesn't even matter much but the whole episode of them trying to slide one by on me just rubbed me the wrong way. The mudflap kit is on order  ;D Idiots ::)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: The downside to Insurance & Autobody under one roof
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 01:09:52 pm »
Yikes.   That is wrong on so many levels.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 01:17:36 pm »
that sucks...i get trying to consolidate everything (perhaps to cut down on fraud/costs), but you still have to do the job properly.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 04:58:37 pm »
The words that comes to mind is conflict of interest.  How can you trust a shop that is basically fixing it the cheapest way possible?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 06:44:22 pm »
A review on Google will go a long way towards warning others.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 07:38:58 pm »
Insurance repair has always been a bit greasy. They want to get it done as quick and cheap as possible. The use of OEM or aftermarket parts  vs OE panels etc. Having the shop on site does make it more efficient but in the end you have no one in your corner.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 01:16:05 pm »
Insurance repair has always been a bit greasy. They want to get it done as quick and cheap as possible. The use of OEM or aftermarket parts  vs OE panels etc. Having the shop on site does make it more efficient but in the end you have no one in your corner.
the concept is likely similar to "trickle down economics"...good in theory, fails in practice.