Author Topic: Done with RockAuto - Never Again  (Read 16230 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Done with RockAuto - Never Again
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2021, 03:39:21 pm »
What are the OEM part numbers?

480680E010 & 480690E010

OEM parts were 4x the price.

Yeah, they are not exactly giving them away. $289 before shipping.
https://www.toyotapartsdirect.ca/t/Toyota__Highlander/Suspension-Control-Arm.html
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2021, 03:45:01 pm »
If the rubber wasn't so obviously deteriorated I would think it was the installation.  But given how cracked it is, and my positive experience with the shop over the last 15 years, I'm going with defective part.
is there any warranty on them??...when i get parts from my indie, i find they come with pretty decent warranties on them (or did you not get them through your indie?).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2021, 03:57:26 pm »
It's in the first post I made.

Lifetime warranty, but I need to pay to ship them back to RockAuto.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2021, 03:59:20 pm »
https://www.toyotapartsdirect.ca/t/Toyota__Highlander/Suspension-Control-Arm.html

That's about $100 cheaper than I found for an OEM part.  But on RockAuto they're $80 CAD, plus shipping. 

Is it a pain to just put new bushings in?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2021, 04:39:02 pm »

That's about $100 cheaper than I found for an OEM part.  But on RockAuto they're $80 CAD, plus shipping. 

Is it a pain to just put new bushings in?

Control arm needs to come out.

Then the bushing is pressed out and new one pressed in.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2021, 05:17:55 pm »
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-OEM-Toyota-Lexus-48068-0E010-Passenger-Front-Lower-Control-Arm/233429705670

Surprisingly, even cheaper on ebay, around 250 taxes and shipping in. Seem a solid seller. Ebay rips you off a little on the currency conversion though, like another 10 bucks perhaps. 

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2021, 06:47:07 pm »
Just bought rotors and pads front and rear from RA and found the shipping cost decent at $93CAD given the weight.

All in, the whole thing was $409CAD. Still cheaper than Prime shipping from Amazon for the identical P/Ns.

I order from RA only if they have the product/brand/PN I'm looking for. I don't buy just any random stuff/brands they sell.

If the product is bad quality, I don't fault RA - they just sell product. As long as they sell at good price, deliver what you order and reasonably fast, not much you can blame them for.

So far so good.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:50:51 pm by carcrazy »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2021, 06:52:29 pm »
Oh yeah. This hasn't soured me on RA.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2021, 07:07:05 pm »
I've ordered  OEM Toyota or Lexus parts direct from Japan. Some of them have been ridiculously cheap.

I've used both Megazip and Amayama with success

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2021, 07:22:54 pm »
It's in the first post I made.

Lifetime warranty, but I need to pay to ship them back to RockAuto.
ah...oops...too bad they don't have a Canadian depot to ship back...likely would only be $35 to ship it back.

Offline 55inthe54

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Infiniti
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2023, 04:14:32 pm »
UPS was suppose to deliver some brake parts to me, from RockAuto yesterday. As yesterday was the ONLY day I'd be away this week, I called UPS to request that the shipment be re-routed to a UPS store for pickup either later in the day or today. They accepted the request.

A couple hours later, I get this email notification about the shipment:

Exception Reason:   All merchandise is missing and the empty carton was discarded. UPS will notify the sender.
Exception Resolution:   All merchandise missing, empty carton was discarded. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.

This seems super shady. Is this a common thing with UPS and/or Rock Auto? I'm not even sure how to resolve this as I've been unable to contact RockAuto directly. I went to the website and my order and marked the product as not having arrived yet and it says "it's on its way"

Any insights into this situation would be very helpful. Thank you!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2023, 04:19:01 pm »
UPS was suppose to deliver some brake parts to me, from RockAuto yesterday. As yesterday was the ONLY day I'd be away this week, I called UPS to request that the shipment be re-routed to a UPS store for pickup either later in the day or today. They accepted the request.

A couple hours later, I get this email notification about the shipment:

Exception Reason:All merchandise is missing and the empty carton was discarded. UPS will notify the sender.
Exception Resolution:All merchandise missing, empty carton was discarded. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.

This seems super shady. Is this a common thing with UPS and/or Rock Auto? I'm not even sure how to resolve this as I've been unable to contact RockAuto directly. I went to the website and my order and marked the product as not having arrived yet and it says "it's on its way"

Any insights into this situation would be very helpful. Thank you!
This happened to me ONCE.

A heavy order had broken the box and the items fell out somewhere along the way.

Contact RockAuto..they'll make it right

Offline 55inthe54

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2023, 04:59:06 pm »
thanks rrocket, there's no customer service email or phone though?

"RockAuto is a completely online company. We do not have a customer service phone number to provide assistance over the phone. All of our customer service resources are available 24/7 online! Online self-service ensures consistent quality and keeps our prices low for you!"

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2023, 05:03:25 pm »
I believe there is a link to contact customer service when you bring up the order in your order history. Super easy, and in my limited experience, very responsive.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2023, 06:03:23 pm »
I believe there is a link to contact customer service when you bring up the order in your order history. Super easy, and in my limited experience, very responsive.
This is correct

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2023, 08:29:29 pm »
Ordered a power steering pump for the V10 TDI on RockAuto, because it's an NLA part just about everywhere else. Actually spoke with them to confirm that it is indeed different than the category listing for a V6/V8 Touareg. Sure enough, it was wrongly categorized and the part we got was a different part number than the one we ordered, and the one for a V8.

My truck is in pieces waiting for this part relying on it, and now I had to scramble. The only other "correct" one is coming from Europe and it's a couple of weeks away... truck beached on a hoist in the meantime. Costs a half day of labour to put the suspension and subframe back in just enough to roll the car out of the shop and stuff it in a corner until the right stuff comes.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline 55inthe54

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2023, 11:35:43 am »
This is correct

Still not seeing a link to contact customer service. This is what I see with my order. See attached pic.

It says the items are on its way but I haven't received any new tracking number. The old tracking number says the item status is "Unable to Deliver"

Where else can I look for a customer service contact link?

Thank you all!

Very stressed as this is a lot of money for me and more important I want to get my brakes done.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 11:37:44 am by 55inthe54 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2023, 02:55:20 pm »
This is correct

Still not seeing a link to contact customer service. This is what I see with my order. See attached pic.

It says the items are on its way but I haven't received any new tracking number. The old tracking number says the item status is "Unable to Deliver"

Where else can I look for a customer service contact link?

Thank you all!

Very stressed as this is a lot of money for me and more important I want to get my brakes done.
You don't see Help with Existing Orders tab??

https://www.rockauto.com/help/?page=4

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 02:58:40 pm by rrocket »

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2023, 04:38:42 pm »
I ordered a fender liner from RA. The only complaint is that the part was $45 and shipping $100.
Add 2 hours of swearing for installing it myself and I'm still way below what a body shop would charge.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2024, 11:29:26 am »
Order some filters and bits last night. Got an email tagged 5:00am that my order has shipped. Impressive.

I have noticed that prices have gone up but shipping has become reasonable.  The LR4 filter was $28 (locally $60  :rofl2:) while the Volvo was $6, Volvo parts seem cheap. Also noticed that a lot of the usual players in the brake department seem to have disappeared off the site. Perhaps vehicle specific or else they have been muscled aside. (Dynamic friction?)