Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: FBC
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 04:15:25 pm »
The appropriate application of warm water on a cold night. Just sayin'

Interesting experiment.  -20C weather, applying boiling water from a kettle. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 04:31:46 pm »
Italian car: the o-ring would be the problem, but you'd have to order it from Italy and some little old lady makes them by hand and for some odd reason, you'd have to disassemble significant parts of the interior to change it.

German car: the o-ring might be the only issue but they only sell it as an assembly that includes the pressure regulator, fuel pump, the left front headlight and some part they don't say what it is and you have no idea of where it goes or what it does.

American car: you can't replace the o-ring, only the regulator, but it's $8.00 at Pep Boys.  You need a sledge hammer to R/R it, but otherwise, easy.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 07:43:47 pm »
Now I just have to replace the serpentine belt, deal with the buzzing stereo speaker and the non functioning remotes (hopefully they just need to be reprogrammed)..... and  try and convince the car to let me reprogram the trip computer from French to English.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 09:57:09 pm »
Silly question, but have you tried replacing the remote batteries?

And there is bound to be a video or written procedure somewhere on how to change the computer from French to english

I might have found something:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/dash-language-71213/

Display language
To change the display language, switch the ignition ON while pressing the ‘ML/km’ switch. The trip computer will display the current language.
Press the ‘ML/km’ switch repeatedly to cycle through the available languages. Once the correct language is selected, press the ‘A/B’ switch.
The new language will be selected after a delay of three seconds.
Note:
If you wish to exit the language selection function without changing the display language, you can either press the ‘RESET’ switch, wait for 10 seconds or switch the ignition OFF.

Here is one specifically for the XK8.  Looks like the same procedure.

https://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/74fo4-jaguar-xk8-change-language-french-english.html
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:06:56 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 05:58:43 am »
Yes, fresh batteries was the first thing. I've found a process for reprogramming so that's the next step to try

I had found instructions about changing the language but they were written with a subtle difference from your post as they didn't specify holding the ML/km while turning the ignition on. (I was turning the ignition on and then pressing and holding the button)   Will try that next.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 06:51:07 am »
Yes, fresh batteries was the first thing. I've found a process for reprogramming so that's the next step to try

I had found instructions about changing the language but they were written with a subtle difference from your post as they didn't specify holding the ML/km while turning the ignition on. (I was turning the ignition on and then pressing and holding the button)   Will try that next.

I have seen several reset procedures on computer gear that want the switch pressed while turning it on...probably is a bit easier in the software.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 07:33:30 pm »
Well, that worked for changing the dash display language so one item off the list. No luck with reprogramming the key FOB. Next step is to check to see if it's the module or the FOBs themselves.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 07:43:04 pm »
Well, that worked for changing the dash display language so one item off the list. No luck with reprogramming the key FOB. Next step is to check to see if it's the module or the FOBs themselves.

I took my mother's X-Type to Halifax twice to get the keys reprogrammed.  The Ford dealers would not do them even though Jag was owned by Ford at the time.  It was the only thing they ever had to get done at the dealer.  The Ford dealer was able to do the basic maintenance though.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 08:13:01 pm »

I took my mother's X-Type to Halifax twice to get the keys reprogrammed.  The Ford dealers would not do them even though Jag was owned by Ford at the time.  It was the only thing they ever had to get done at the dealer.  The Ford dealer was able to do the basic maintenance though.

How was the engine in that car? Was it the V8? My neighbour has an X type in his garage collecting dust . The timing chain broke and ruined the engine.
He doesn't want to spend the money to get it repaired. Shame really it was  a nice car.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 08:19:21 pm »

How was the engine in that car? Was it the V8? My neighbour has an X type in his garage collecting dust . The timing chain broke and ruined the engine.
He doesn't want to spend the money to get it repaired. Shame really it was  a nice car.
I
X types had either the 2.5 or 3.0L ford v6 duratecs. i believe that it was an interference design. water pumps were an issue but 3.0L swaps from Ford Taurus should be straightforward.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2018, 08:48:36 pm »

It's a 2004 3.0 V6. The X-Type didn't come in a V8.  She only put 22K km in a little over 4 years until she had to give up driving.  She gave the car to my nephew. It's a daily drive for him and he hasn't had any major problems.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 11:32:22 am »

Cool.  One thing checked off the list, and onto the next.  Eventually it will be a completely sorted car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 03:01:00 pm »
I had to get the keyless reprogrammed on my Lexus.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 03:21:09 pm »

It's a 2004 3.0 V6. The X-Type didn't come in a V8.  She only put 22K km in a little over 4 years until she had to give up driving.  She gave the car to my nephew. It's a daily drive for him and he hasn't had any major problems.

oh I'm mixing an  S type up with the X type. His car is definitely a 4 litre V8 so it is an S type.It is now a boat anchor.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2018, 05:36:29 pm »
X Types were cousins to the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique. My wife had a Mystique for a while in the 90's....nice car with good power and handling for the time.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 07:39:43 pm »
X Types were cousins to the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique. My wife had a Mystique for a while in the 90's....nice car with good power and handling for the time.

Yeah, the X-Type was not a good car.  It was rough and noisy, and had a very un-Jaguar like ride quality.  Ironically it may be the one Jag product that was much beter built than its Ford based cousin. I had a Mistique and it barely made it through the 2-yr lease term. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 08:05:23 pm »
Contour and Mystique were some of the worst Ford ever produced and that says a lot.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 08:21:29 pm »
Contour and Mystique were some of the worst Ford ever produced and that says a lot.

That may well be true but a friend of mine had a V6 Contour she kept for 10 years without huge issues. I guess there is always an outlier. ;)

Our Mystique was on one of those 1990's Ford Red Carpet 24 month leases so there wasn't much time for trouble to show up. I actually quite liked the car.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2018, 08:34:46 pm »
For the time period it was a handler and that was quite rare at that time vis-a-vis the competition.  But they were absolute junk used particularly the V6s.  The rear wheel bearings for example were the old style non sealed ball bearings that would just decide to disintegrate and the wheel and tire would just start wobbling down the road and this could occur at 50K km.  Once lifted off the ground one could just jank the wheel clear off.    :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2018, 09:51:23 pm »
A friend had one of the SVT Contours, and it was actually a good handling car with some real power for the period.  But, it didn't last long with him as the quality was shite.