Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2016 Subaru WRX STI vs 2016 Volkswagen Golf R  (Read 39212 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: 2016 Subaru WRX STI vs 2016 Volkswagen Golf R
« on: November 20, 2015, 06:36:13 am »

Fanboy wars.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Comparison Test: 2016 Subaru WRX STI vs 2016 Volkswagen Golf R
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:31:06 am »
Ummmm, okay.  Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Obviously an article written to elicite a strong reaction.

I won't address this as it's clearly a writter who prefers the "boy racer" lifestyle over everything else in life.  For those people the STi is the way to go.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 07:45:38 am »
Ummmm, okay.  Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Obviously an article written to elicite a strong reaction.

I won't address this as it's clearly a writter who prefers the "boy racer" lifestyle over everything else in life.  For those people the STi is the way to go.

Hahahahaha.  Perfect sour grapes reaction for what's becoming the crybaby Golf R crowd on this forum. 

Clearly Jacob missed the memo that this car competes with C450 and shouldn't be shamed into competition with a lowly Subaru. 

Get over yourselves Golf R owners.   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 07:50:24 am »
I truly think the Lexus that RR is looking at are a better deal  :rofl:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:04:56 am »
I would definitely get the Golf. But I think I'd want to go down a wheel size to 18" for summer...don't like the look of those 19".  I presume that 17" or even 16" will still fit over the brakes for winter.
The STI may well be more 'fun' in the countryside But I am a city and paved road guy and that wing...nooooo.

If only VW could squeeze a longitudinal engine into the Golf R so it could have proper Quattro  (then the Q3 could do away with the Haldex system as well)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:15:20 am »
I don't need a portable ironing board on the back of my car.

Golf R.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:20 am »
So, when is the Levorg STi and Gold Sportwagen R coming? That'll take care of the space problem (I just can't let this one slide)...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:56 am »

Hahahahaha.  Perfect sour grapes reaction for what's becoming the crybaby Golf R crowd on this forum. 

Clearly Jacob missed the memo that this car competes with C450 and shouldn't be shamed into competition with a lowly Subaru. 

LOL, not sure it's sour grapes but whatever.  No cry baby here.  Golf R isn't for everyone and I don't expect it to win every comparo.  Clearly this article is skewed a bit.

Of course the natural competitor to the R is a STi, it's why I drove both.  I just find the R a bit more grown up and easier to live with day to day.  Plus I don't want or need the attention a car like the STi gets.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 09:06:08 am »
Picture two people. One's a womanizing alcoholic with a gambling problem, the other is an accountant. That's what we have here.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 09:16:01 am »

LOL, not sure it's sour grapes but whatever.  No cry baby here.  Golf R isn't for everyone and I don't expect it to win every comparo.  Clearly this article is skewed a bit.

Of course the natural competitor to the R is a STi, it's why I drove both.  I just find the R a bit more grown up and easier to live with day to day.  Plus I don't want or need the attention a car like the STi gets.

I'm just giving you a hard time.   For what it's worth, I'd choose the Golf R too.   BUT I can certainly understand that someone seeking a more visceral driving experience would lean to the STi.

Honestly I just wish the R looked more aggressive.   Not STi-level wings and scoops necessarily, but better wheels and a bit of an aero package wouldn't hurt to differentiate it.   

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 09:27:45 am »
I think it's all about the demographic as well... if I was in my mid to late 20's, I'd want the STI, it has the cool tech, the "look at me" styling, etc.  But in my mid 40's, I like the understated look of the Golf R, I appreciate the subtlety, the smoother ride, etc. 

On paper, I understand that this can be sort of an apples to apples comparison (though it would have been closer to apples to apples if the VW was a manual equipped car), but I don't see it... the cars attract 2 distinctively different buyers in my opinion.  It's not like a Mustang vs. Camaro, or Civic vs. Corolla.  I don't think the STI really has a true competitor now that the EVO is gone.  The VW's closest competitor would be the Focus ST, though it's lacking the AWD.

Anyways, my 2 cents!  Both are great cars, for different folks  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 09:30:37 am »
Picture two people. One's a womanizing alcoholic with a gambling problem, the other is an accountant. That's what we have here.

Hey! Not true!

.... because there are no online sports gambling sites in Canada.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 09:34:18 am »
Can you GET the R with a stick?  Or is it DSG only?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 09:34:48 am »

Hey! Not true!

.... because there are no online sports gambling sites in Canada.

Hahaha! I was thinking of the cars not the journalists, but come to think of it....  :stick: ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 09:35:32 am »

I'm just giving you a hard time.   For what it's worth, I'd choose the Golf R too.   BUT I can certainly understand that someone seeking a more visceral driving experience would lean to the STi.

Honestly I just wish the R looked more aggressive.   Not STi-level wings and scoops necessarily, but better wheels and a bit of an aero package wouldn't hurt to differentiate it.

Fair enough.  For sure the STi is the more visceral driving experience.  Some people want that every day, vast majority of people do not.

The looks for the R is definitely understated and it's one of the reasons I love it so much.  Hell even the GTI is more aggressive looking.  I like a sleeper appearance.  The wheels are a common complaint and one of the first things people change when they buy their R.  I like them personally.

TPL - some 17's will fit but no 16's can fit over the brakes.  I wish it came with 18's too just to save a bit of weight and cost on rubber.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 09:37:44 am »
Can you GET the R with a stick?  Or is it DSG only?

Both.  The Manual was a late availability.

In the USA you mean.  Here in Canada the manual and DSG were available right from the get go.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 09:38:52 am »
I just read the article again.  Question to the tester: Are you sure the STI rolls more than the Golf?  The STI felt like the flattest cornering car I had ever driven.  The Golf feels like it rolls a bit more, although that may be due to the steering effort.

Nope, that must be the alchoholism Sir Osis mentioned kicking in!  :rofl:
I don't think I meant body roll, but rather movement around underneath me.
It's more stable, less skittish than the STI (a TOTALLY different thing to body roll) - I have no idea what I was doing when I wrote that sentence. Fixed now.

Thank you for the catch!

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 09:39:56 am »
I think it's all about the demographic as well... if I was in my mid to late 20's, I'd want the STI, it has the cool tech, the "look at me" styling, etc.  But in my mid 40's, I like the understated look of the Golf R, I appreciate the subtlety, the smoother ride, etc. 

The looks for the R is definitely understated and it's one of the reasons I love it so much.  Hell even the GTI is more aggressive looking.  I like a sleeper appearance.  The wheels are a common complaint and one of the first things people change when they buy their R.  I like them personally.

I do get the Q-ship angle, but c'mon.  I'm not asking for a boy racer, but something with SOME sex appeal.   There are plenty of 40, 50, 60, 70 year olds driving AMG, M, Porsche, S and RS cars that don't look like boy racers and yet differentiate themselves from the average 328, A4, A6, E350, etc... 

It's not about maturity.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 09:44:15 am »
I have no horse in this race but I would take the Golf hands down. 

I'm all about mixing convenience with a fun-to-drive factor and the Golf has both.  Subaru killed the convenience factor when they nuked the STI hatchback which I believe was one of the  few mistakes they've made over the last few years. 

The Golf feels like a better-integrated approach as well with all the go-fast bits well hidden rather than tacked on boy-racer style.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:47:48 am by SKYMTL »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 10:13:59 am »
Agree with the notion that you probably buy based on your age/how you daily drive your car (IE are you showing up in a suit for meetings).

I too would choose the Golf R but I agree with Evil Twin in that I wish it were just a tad more aggressive. I don't want boy racer but I do want people to know I have something special.

Why?  I like that not everyone is in the know about my vehicle.  Those that do know are car guys and we can have a good conversation.  If I drove a Mustang GT I'd attract all kinds of people I could care less talking to.