Author Topic: Hello from Vancouver Island  (Read 727 times)

Offline mmesford

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Jetta 2010
Hello from Vancouver Island
« on: March 19, 2017, 09:16:29 pm »
I joined this forum for one specific reason. We have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI which we bought used from the dealer. We are eligible for settlement money or trade-in towards a new car. We like the car but are concerned that any "fix" will be less than perfect. We're also not sure whether an upgrade would make us happy. We like the idea of clean diesel and from what I've read VW may be moving away from diesel now. Will they continue to support diesels for the long term? Any and all thoughts on these issues or ones I haven't considered are appreciated. And I realize this probably isn't the right area for posting this question but hopefully someone will point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Hello from Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:11 pm »
Welcome to the nut house!

VW at least is walking back from diesels in the short term. GM seems interested in giving them a go with the Colorado/Canyon, Cruze and Equinox, but they have tried diesels in the past and lost interest.

Mazda keeps talking about introducing diesels, but they've had a rough reliability history with them overseas, so I wouldn't rush right out for the first couple of years.

There isn't as big a difference between diesel and gas engines as there used to be as far as fuel consumption. Diesel can also be more expensive at the pump and, of course, just getting the diesel option is a pretty big premium over an equivalent gasser. A person would have to do the math to see if there would actually be a payoff for their particular circumstances.   

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken