Author Topic: Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees  (Read 302345 times)

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees
« on: March 05, 2010, 11:48:30 am »
here is a link from OMVIC regarding etching and any other unsolicited goods. Print it out and take it with you when you are purchasing a new car just in case they tell you you need to buy something you don't have to. If you paid for it already go back to the dealer and demand your money back. Should be a sticky?

http://www.omvic.on.ca/pdf/OMVIC%20bulletin%20-%20November%202005-2.pdf

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:02:14 pm »
here is a link from OMVIC regarding etching and any other unsolicited goods. Print it out and take it with you when you are purchasing a new car just in case they tell you you need to buy something you don't have to. If you paid for it already go back to the dealer and demand your money back. Should be a sticky?
http://www.omvic.on.ca/pdf/OMVIC%20bulletin%20-%20November%202005-2.pdf

I sent a copy of that OMVIC bulletin to the VW dealership whose salesman, a couple of weeks ago, told me that etching and nitrogen were "mandatory".  At that point I walked and had an apologetic e-mail waiting for me when I returned home.  He'd spoken to the sales manager and was told that the "mandatory" fees were now not mandatory and if I returned they would "accommodate" me.  My reply was in the form of that OMVIC bulletin which states that it's against the law to mandate such fees.

The sales manager replied with the form you see enclosed here.  It lumps a lot of the things they MUST perform (registering a new car etcetera) with their scams - Globali and nitrogen.  But to the unprepared (which must be most car buyers) this form looks like it is a mandatory program.  In the small print at the bottom they "encourage you to register your contact information into the globali.com vehicle recovery network".

As most people will never have heard of Globali or the benefits of nitrogen in the tires, the time of car purchase is not the time to find out about it.  You're at the mercy of the salesman's pitch and you can bet your life it's a well-polished pitch that the dealership has schooled them on.  I wonder how many people notice the Globali and the nitrogen and how many question it and how many refuse it?  I would imagine the percentage that get out the door in a car (I got out minus a car) is almost zero.

So it's a well-rehearsed sales pitch for almost useless products that are grossly overpriced.  But they're not stupid.  If they mentioned them at the same time they asked you if you wanted scotchguard and undercoating, the purchase rate would be very low.  This is a slick marketing scheme and even though they cannot, by law, mandate it and have to waive it, I have no interest in rewarding a dealership who would try to take me and the rest of the public as sheepish fools.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:19 pm »
I do not understand why everyone gets their shorts in a knock ???
Lower you price untill you are happy

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:19 am »

The price of the car is not the issue its making the car buying public aware of these scams and being well informed when you go into the dealers showroom. You might get a lower price if the etching was not in the pricing.
Knock?

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »
The price of the car is not the issue its making the car buying public aware of these scams and being well informed when you go into the dealers showroom. You might get a lower price if the etching was not in the pricing.
Knock?

Thanks for saying that Nifty.  I wasn't going to bother but you said it perfectly.

DrJay

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 01:45:10 pm »

Knock?

While I am a huge proponent of "transperency" in any dealings (especialy cars) Products such as Global i and Nitrogen Should be explained during the sale process not afterwards (in the F&I office or when you are signing the deal) if the consumer sees value then why not (I also believe there should be "set" pricing for these products) I would hope an "Honest Dealership" would do this. To call these products a "scam" however, I think is inflamitory. There is value to both but perhaps not at the prices some dealerships charge for them 

I have to say the dealership I bought my Coupe from did indeed explain both products up front and gave me the option to buy. I declined the Global i, but took the nitrogen (negotiated a better tire warranty with it).

Incidentaly.. A friend of mine did take the Global i (I think it was called Protector Plus?)and had his car stolen about 2 1/2 years after he bought it.  The dealership had a cheque in his hand for $4000.00 (His car was written off) 24 hrs after he submitted his proof of claim. (a full week before his insurance company paid out) 

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:07:34 pm »
The earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. How much over 78% ends up in your tires to jusify what is charged?

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 09:19:42 pm »
The earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. How much over 78% ends up in your tires to jusify what is charged?
And I'm not aware of suffering anything during the past 40+ years of car ownership because of this missing 22%.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:37:50 pm »
And I'm not aware of suffering anything during the past 40+ years of car ownership because of this missing 22%.

Assuming its 22%. You'd need to create a complete vacumn in the tire removing all traces of any air before filling them with nitrogen otherwise you are getting less than 100% notrogen

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:08 am »
Is the Globali sticker in any way supposed to prevent theft?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 10:51:31 am »
It's a money making scam - pure and simple. They hedge their bets that the customer won't raise a stink and just pay the extra. And the car industry wonders why consumers despise buying a car.  ::)
Of course it's a scam - pure and simple.  And they hope the "simple" won't catch on until after the check is signed.  If these things were so good then we'd be asking for them, not having someone sneak them in.  Winter tires are good for us.  So why don't the sales people try to sneak those in on us?

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 02:42:30 pm »
It's a money making scam - pure and simple. They hedge their bets that the customer won't raise a stink and just pay the extra. And the car industry wonders why consumers despise buying a car.  ::)
Of course it's a scam - pure and simple.  And they hope the "simple" won't catch on until after the check is signed.  If these things were so good then we'd be asking for them, not having someone sneak them in.  Winter tires are good for us.  So why don't the sales people try to sneak those in on us?

^^^ +1

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 09:30:13 pm »

Anyone?

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:09 pm »

Anyone?

Yeah they use quite a strong glue.

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
was walking past a 2010 Mazda 3 and noticed a sticker in the front driver side windshield that caught my eye. Said the tires were filled with nitrogen and then looked at the air valves and they had the green caps. I am familiar with the dealer and have noticed while in the showroom they were advertising that their cars all have nitrogen in the tires.  :popo: :'(  if you want it fine but don't force it on the buying public.

otown

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 07:40:07 am »
Despite what is written in that OMVIC link, their position is that the dealer can make any option they want madatory and you have to take it if you want the car. You always have the right not to buy the car.

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 01:00:50 pm »
Despite what is written in that OMVIC link, their position is that the dealer can make any option they want madatory and you have to take it if you want the car. You always have the right not to buy the car.

I believe you are wrong? dealers can not sell you something you don't want, if an option is not offered by the factory and a dealer tries to sell you something you don't want you can report the dealer to OMVIC.
So if a dealer adds Weather tech floor, cargo mats for $400 knowing you can get them for less would you want them? but the dealer says take it or go buy the car somewhere else, I don't think they would pass on a sale. Show us where it says on the OMVIC web site that states we have to take what the dealer says is mandatory, with no choice. Do you work for a dealer?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 01:04:27 pm »
...I'm filling Millie with Helium................I wants ta hear  HER SCREAM LIKE MINNIE MOUSE when i takes tha ON RAMPS............... ;) :D :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

otown

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 01:39:31 pm »
I believe you are wrong? dealers can not sell you something you don't want, if an option is not offered by the factory and a dealer tries to sell you something you don't want you can report the dealer to OMVIC.
Show us where it says on the OMVIC web site that states we have to take what the dealer says is mandatory, with no choice. Do you work for a dealer?

This has happened to me and no, I'm not wrong. I have clarification of this in writing from OMVIC. Their position is as I described it above.

nifty6, I suggest you email OMVIC yourself if you doubt me. And no I don't work for a dealer.

Please post what you find out!!!!!

Offline nifty6

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 12:04:20 pm »
Show us where it says on the OMVIC web site that states we have to take what the dealer says is mandatory, with no choice. Do you work for a dealer?

This has happened to me and no, I'm not wrong. I have clarification of this in writing from OMVIC. Their position is as I described it above.

nifty6, I suggest you email OMVIC yourself if you doubt me. And no I don't work for a dealer.

Please post what you find out!!!!!

if that is what happened to you you should have reported them to OMVIC, how about you show US clarification of what OMVIC said to you,