Author Topic: How does arcing battery effect electrical?  (Read 733 times)

Offline thingsmac

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Sunfire, 05' 2.2
How does arcing battery effect electrical?
« on: March 07, 2024, 02:31:13 am »
Cherry baby the 2010 Grand Caravan was just about done getting a pipe replaced in the coolant system after a flush on a rainy day. I knew I needed to let the engine dry, and used a heater but it was cold & damp weather and I pushed my luck the next day connecting the battery.

"tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" Hmm...
(let's maybe not do that)

Another day or so of drying, check the battery voltage/charge it for a bit in case, and let's try again:

"Tick.....tick.....tick....." and the ⚡︎ dash light. No sputtering from the starter though.

<I sought advice on a forum, the only replier confident it was my battery being low; this didn't make sense since I'd taken it out to do the flush and checked voltage on it, topped it a bit, and all instruments were clearly full power; against my better judgement I charged the battery again with respect to my anonymous advisor, to rule it out- except the terminal clasp nuts are in a terrible position and this time I derped and arced the positive and negative with the adjustable wrench, despite the voice in my head having just told me to not let that happen>

Now the vehicle is in another era of electrical hurt (*I haven't used a new battery yet, I will be able to tomorrow) but upon trying to start it now, there is essentially nothing from the dash: it gives me about a blink of dashlights and then cuts out- and not a hint of turnover or a 'tick'.

I feel intimidated by electrical, and I'm on a tight budget- and lol my car is parked in my yard and the city will soon start dropping paper.
I could really use some insightful, reflected-upon input; I'm sure there's some good experience on here that can point me in some potentially accurate general directions.