Author Topic: Functionality of rain sensing wipers on CX-5  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Functionality of rain sensing wipers on CX-5
« on: July 27, 2023, 04:02:26 pm »
I have a question for the CX-5 owners.

I leave my 2023 CX-5 wipers set to rain sensing position. They work fine however..... If the windshield is completely covered in rain at start-up the wipers do not do a sweep. I tested it and if I drive away and maneuver at low speed through a parking lot I can drive a few hundred feet (vision impaired) before they kick in. Once they start they function well and react correctly to moisture on windshield. It is just getting them to kick in initially that is the issue.

So because I do not want to drive without seeing properly I have to turn the wipers off and then back on to rain sensing wiper position at start up just to get them started. That can't be right.

I suspect this may be signs on a defect in my system. I am interested to hear if other CX-5's have this issue.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
Re: Functionality of rain sensing wipers on CX-5
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 04:41:09 pm »

I leave my 2023 CX-5 wipers set to rain sensing position. They work fine however..... If the windshield is completely covered in rain at start-up the wipers do not do a sweep. I tested it and if I drive away and maneuver at low speed through a parking lot I can drive a few hundred feet (vision impaired) before they kick in. Once they start they function well and react correctly to moisture on windshield. It is just getting them to kick in initially that is the issue.

So because I do not want to drive without seeing properly I have to turn the wipers off and then back on to rain sensing wiper position at start up just to get them started. That can't be right.

I suspect this may be signs on a defect in my system. I am interested to hear if other CX-5's have this issue.

yes this is normal for my last two Mazda 3
you have two options to always turn them off when you shut the engine
or i play with the sensetivity and they always do a sweep

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 04:57:55 pm »

That is true. If I adjust the sensitivity after starting it seems to wake them up and get them moving. It is pretty disappointing if this is normal.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 07:49:19 am »

That is true. If I adjust the sensitivity after starting it seems to wake them up and get them moving. It is pretty disappointing if this is normal.

Typical in most cars. Disappointing is finding out a $50k+ car doesn't have them. The CX-90 even has a little light on the stalk that shows the system is on - good since most of the time you leave them on like forever, and suddenly a rogue leaf will trigger the wipers in the sun, startling you!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 09:26:12 am »

Typical in most cars. Disappointing is finding out a $50k+ car doesn't have them. The CX-90 even has a little light on the stalk that shows the system is on - good since most of the time you leave them on like forever, and suddenly a rogue leaf will trigger the wipers in the sun, startling you!
The Mazda 3 has the light  and you can convert them to regular Int

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 09:36:22 am »

Not to late to trade it in on a Crosstrek!  :D

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 10:38:05 am »

Not to late to trade it in on a Crosstrek!  :D

Which if I am not mistaken has no rain sensing wipers.  ;D

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 10:53:03 pm »

Mine work the same way as yours.
My 2010 Mazda5, 2012 Mazda3, 2016 Mazda3 and 2020 Mazda3 worked the same way.
I always turn off the auto wipers and then immediately turn them on.
Is a matter of getting used to how Mazda auto wiper work.
Nothing to worry about.
My 2016 had the worst system and they stoped working in heavy rain and had to have the relay replaced. There was a recall on it after I had mine fixed.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 09:16:09 am »

Mine work the same way as yours.
My 2010 Mazda5, 2012 Mazda3, 2016 Mazda3 and 2020 Mazda3 worked the same way.
I always turn off the auto wipers and then immediately turn them on.
Is a matter of getting used to how Mazda auto wiper work.
Nothing to worry about.
My 2016 had the worst system and they stoped working in heavy rain and had to have the relay replaced. There was a recall on it after I had mine fixed.

Thanks. Disappointing and irritating but good to know.