Author Topic: LED Headlights  (Read 12176 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
LED Headlights
« on: February 03, 2022, 01:33:29 pm »
Anyone know where in Canada one might get LED replacement bulbs for a stock (car/truck)?
Might be cheaper to source them at home instead of from these guys. (they seem to know what they're talking about at least)
Figured it might be worth it to get some extra light in the dark. Either the S-V.4 or the GTR Ultras.  I'm having no luck in my search. Figure if anyone would know, rrocket would.

Danka!  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: LED Headlights
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 01:57:29 pm »
Anyone know where in Canada one might get LED replacement bulbs for a stock (car/truck)?
Might be cheaper to source them at home instead of from these guys. (they seem to know what they're talking about at least)
Figured it might be worth it to get some extra light in the dark. Either the S-V.4 or the GTR Ultras.  I'm having no luck in my search. Figure if anyone would know, rrocket would.

Danka!  ;)
Probably the best LED bulbs on the market right noware from DDM Tuning. But they are expensive at $200 US. But the brightness is amazing and they were engineered to work with traditional reflectors.

As far as ordering bulbs in Canada, a guy from Windsor owns XenonDepot. Not sure if they still maintain a Canadian warehouse.

And I'm seeing LED bulbs being stocked by Canadian Tire.

Not sure if any of this is helpful..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 02:57:39 pm »
If this keeps up I will have to wear sunglasses at night...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 03:57:21 pm »

Danka!  ;)

For which car?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 04:43:12 pm »
The F150. Notorious for weakass headlights. (the link was a hint  ;))

Danka!  ;)
Probably the best LED bulbs on the market right noware from DDM Tuning. But they are expensive at $200 US. But the brightness is amazing and they were engineered to work with traditional reflectors.

As far as ordering bulbs in Canada, a guy from Windsor owns XenonDepot. Not sure if they still maintain a Canadian warehouse.

And I'm seeing LED bulbs being stocked by Canadian Tire.

Not sure if any of this is helpful..

Sure, anything is helpful.  Never thought of Cdn Tire.  Probably not the best brands there anyway.  The two in the video I mentioned that I like are also both over $200 US.  What I like is they test them and show the beam and tell what the "power" increase is.  I assume that that actually means something. Nothing worse than a headlight that's all diffused and scattered across the world.  Granted we don't drive a lot in the dark - except in winter I guess - but "they*" always complain the headlights suck (they kinda do) and I missed the sale on Bilsteins (does it need them?? Sure, YTF not!?) so I figured better lighting would also be nice.  Still want those Bilsteins...but they're 20% more now than they were in December.

*"they" also think I got the lights adjusted incorrectly.  "They" forget that when we got the truck, the headlights were pointed so much up that the dims were virtually useless...so I got them adjusted down.  I forget a lot of things, but FFS THIS I know..."they" still don't believe me. "You should get them done, you did it wrong last time!" ( >:( :banghead: :stfu:) If I get nice bright lights, maybe "they" will shut up.

I like driving in daylight.  ;D :rofl2:
I like driving alone too actually. Nothing better than no one else in the car.
Oh shi#...I've gone and gotten myself...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 05:08:06 pm »

Danka!  ;)

Summer 2018, I installed this HID kit in my 2013 Volt #2 and it was day & night difference
https://www.xenondepot.com/9012-xtr-hid-kit?

I have been tempted to do it again with my 2014 Volt #4 but maybe LED GTR LIGHTING ULTRA 2.0
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:55:49 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 09:00:01 am »
LED lights are great only when you are the driver. There are many people that haven't set their LED lights correctly which disturbs a lot of drivers during night
Read @rrocket 's post to the thread.  If you buy LED bulbs whose pattern is engineered to work with reflectors, then you are fine.  It's got nothing to do with how they are aimed (well, maybe -- but only if someone has knocked the headlight buckets out of alignment) and everything to do with not buying cheap aftermarket units. 

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 09:50:05 am »
The 2015 Fiat 500 we just bought seems to have terrible headlights. The lighting is really disappointing. I was thinking of an LED upgrade. I saw a guy install these in a Fiat 500 on U-tube. They are compact enough to fit inside the housing allowing protective back cover to be installed sealing the housing from dirt, water etc etc.....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B082KRN5DY/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ALKW9R24C5STB&th=1

Just wondered about any general comments about doing this.

I saw in other video people drilling holes in back of housing cover to provide ventilation. Do I have to do that? Or can these this be sealed up inside the housing?
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 10:22:52 am »
The 2015 Fiat 500 we just bought seems to have terrible headlights. The lighting is really disappointing. I was thinking of an LED upgrade. I saw a guy install these in a Fiat 500 on U-tube. They are compact enough to fit inside the housing allowing protective back cover to be installed sealing the housing from dirt, water etc etc.....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B082KRN5DY/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ALKW9R24C5STB&th=1

I saw in other video people drilling holes in back of housing cover to provide ventilation. Do I have to do that? Or can these this be sealed up inside the housing?
I always thought that the headlights were sealed, all the vehicles we had had were that way.  I'd assume that the bulbs are original to the car, have you thought about just upgrading them to regular standard fit bulbs to see if that's enough?  Rockauto has a bunch of options for extra bright.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 12:49:04 pm »

I always thought that the headlights were sealed, all the vehicles we had had were that way.  I'd assume that the bulbs are original to the car, have you thought about just upgrading them to regular standard fit bulbs to see if that's enough?  Rockauto has a bunch of options for extra bright.

I agree. I remember looking into that for my BMW. I had a hard time finding extra bright bulbs that got great overall reviews. Bright light seem to come hand in hand with a very short life. That being said it seems surprisingly pretty easy to change out the bulbs in the Fiat. So if they did die on me it would not be very hard to change them out again. The LED interested me because of comments of being really bright and having a long life.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 12:51:55 pm »

Isn't there a LED retrofit from a fully loaded/newer model?? Like the whole kitten caboodle??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 01:16:47 pm »
Just looked again at halogen. This site rated what they thought were the best. Every single one of them has in the "cons" that they may fail within a few months or a year.  >:(

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/28867/best-halogen-headlight-bulbs

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 02:21:57 pm »
I remember switching to those types of bulbs and having them fail within a year, never used them again. They were somewhat brighter but that wasn't worth it for me

Might be OK if you don't drive a vehicle much and/or you put in new ones in preventatively before winter, not a fun job changing them out in the cold

You'd think though there would be a LED alternative that works by now. a Fiat 500 forum should be able to tell you

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 02:31:52 pm »
This website is pretty good.

https://www.bulbfacts.com/

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 04:42:02 am »
I installed into my former 2013 Volt (became later first son's Volt)  the Xenon Depot Xtreme HID and I was very pleased with it.
https://www.bulbfacts.com/hid-kits/chart/ (score 4.8 )

I ordered lately less expensive (low beam) Gtr Lighting Csp Mini Led Conversion Kit for my Saturn still have to install them. SW2 came back only today from garage with new front discs after few maintenance/safety check.
https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/ (score 3.2)
May I went Ultra series for little more money..? (score 4.8 )

JessAnderson

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2023, 10:13:44 pm »
I know the struggle of trying to find the right LED replacement bulbs for your car/truck. It can be a hassle to find the perfect match for your vehicle, and it's always best to find a good deal on them. In my search for LED bulbs, I came across a great website that sells high-quality LED bulbs, including the S-V.4 and GTR Ultras you mentioned.

Offline Bessogon

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Subaru Forester
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2023, 06:05:38 am »
 I recently purchased from https://ledmontreal.com/led-light-bulbs/ and was very happy with the results. They have a wide range of LED bulbs, and their prices are reasonable. Plus, the bulbs are easy to install, which is always a plus.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 04:48:24 am by Bessogon »

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2023, 11:17:07 pm »
Finally bit the bullet and ordered Fahren Forscher Led headlights for our Italian Fiat 500.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B082KRN5DY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Got them today and installed them. For such a tiny car the headlights were surprisingly easy to access. They are quite compact. Went very good. All the wiring and the canbus all fit into the housing so I can seal them up. Took a spin tonight and there is a big improvement in lighting. Not as good as factory LED like in our new Mazda but a big improvement over the standard bulbs (which were terrible).

Registered the lights with Fahren and got warranty extended for 2 years. Molto bene!!!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2023, 11:24:37 pm »
Nice work!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2023, 11:37:40 pm »
Even on the Fahren site they show blinding scatter. I have no doubt they throw more light for you but what about oncoming traffic? They put a checkmark beside that first photo?  :rofl2: